Nio stock. How high will it go?

Anyone invested in this stock? Tesla stock is sitting at $1500/share right now. Is it a pipe dream to think that NIO could hit $200/share?

????

Tesla is involved in a lot of things, Nio only electric cars which larger manufacturers of cars also are involved. To me, too much of a risk unless it's venture money. It is followed, and has 2 Buys, 2 Sells, 9 Holds. For a small portion, it may be worth it. But they don't have a car on the market for sale yet.

I like Tesla and may own one in the future. But Its stock is pure gambling right now to be honest. There are no fundamentals behind the price. And I said that before COVID-19. Now its even worse as a lot of white collar people that are buying them are starting to get laid off and Tesla cut the price of its cars as demand is starting to fall.

Not sure I bough it almost a year ago and just sold it and got out very nice profit in my ROTH IRA. China's economy could be in real trouble I took my money and ran.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PimTac
https://www.cnbc.com/quotes/?symbol=NIO

There are a lot of red flags here. Scroll down and click on Ratios and Profitability to expand the view. High debt, no profit. This stock is purely speculative and is being pumped by the talking heads.

thumbsup2.gif
big ime PimTac
01.gif

Originally Posted by PimTac
https://www.cnbc.com/quotes/?symbol=NIO

There are a lot of red flags here. Scroll down and click on Ratios and Profitability to expand the view. High debt, no profit. This stock is purely speculative and is being pumped by the talking heads.

You mean the multiple rounds of layoffs, before COVID, shuttering of the autonomous unit and FE team, and repeated capital infusions to stave off insolvency aren't good signs?

Sure, Tesla has faced a lot of the same bumps, and is an overvalued gamble as well, but if it were to fail, somebody would be there to scavenge the value in its tech, and brand equity.

Ask the layman what a Tesla is, and what a NIO is, and the response would be predictable.

Well I'm gonna hang onto it for a couple years and see where she goes. Up 205 percent right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
Well I'm gonna hang onto it for a couple years and see where she goes. Up 205 percent right now.

Hopefully this is not your only investment and a very small one at that.

Good luck.

I think the bigger question is: how much will you lose?

This is speculation, pure and simple. The realm in which amateur investors get burned.

Originally Posted by JLawrence08648
Instead of NIO, look at buying Nikola NKLA.

That one did the same thing. Went from 10 to $50/share.

I don't think nio is just going to go belly up out of nowhere., the Chinese government is invested in that company.

So far what ive learned is patience is key. Most of these stocks I sold after a short period of time ended up going way way higher a year or two later after I sold them. Not that I didn't make a profit off the stocks I held for a short period of time.

Last edited by a moderator:
So far what ive learned is patience is key. Most of these stocks I sold after a short period of time ended up going way way higher a year or two later after I sold them. Not that I didn't make a profit off the stocks I held for a short period of time.

I've made a little money in the past few months with 2X and 3X leveraged ETFs.
If the market is being manipulated upwards I'm going to ride the wave up and up..... 👆

My only individual stock holding is Amazon.

Very difficult to pick stocks.

One aspect of Elon Musk's business that is NOT reflected in Tesla stock price is the SpaceX company. You need to go elsewhere for that, but I forget the ticker symbol right now.

I just read an interesting article that said so many people are off work, they are making money "day trading". Nothing wrong with that, but it definitely inflates a single stock price artificially to say the least. If TSLA ever falls out of favor, or there is a pullback for cash, this price will plummet.

I also read an article recently that said without the FANG stocks (except replace Netflix with MSFT) there would have been "0" gain in the overall market over the last 10(?) years. THAT makes you wonder!

From what I see, EV only companies can be just a gamble at the moment, and the valuation is really a battle between the short sellers and the short squeezers. Do you want to speculate or do you want a stable and predictable investment? If you want stable long term growth then Amazon and Microsoft might be a better choice over 5 years. Regarding to NIO, they will likely be one of the survivor in the big Chinese EV industry consolidation. Nobody will know the valuation however, and nobody knows if the Chinese government will bail them out at the expense of the banks / investors / debt holders / etc.

In your original post you asked if this stock could go to $200 ?

I just checked the share price and it is at $15.45.

I don't believe that a crystal ball with that kind of forward vision has been invented. If you got that number from somewhere or someone then I would question their motive.

I still believe in the 4% rule though 5% is easier to figure. For a stock like NIO I would never have even close to that percentage.

One aspect of Elon Musk's business that is NOT reflected in Tesla stock price is the SpaceX company. You need to go elsewhere for that, but I forget the ticker symbol right now.

There is no SpaceX ticker, because it's a separate, privately-held entity.

Mars is more important to Musk than BEVs, so it's treated more cautiously than Tesla, and has a greater degree of adult supervision.

If Tesla had a competent #2/COO like SpaceX, rather than Musk calling all the shots himself, the other OEMs would have even more reason to pay attention, and worry.

Back