NHRA Engine Rebuilt In 7 Minutes

Amazing what you don't see: The video never showed the ports or combustion chambers and the blower inlet is blurred during the disassembly and reassembly.

The cam sprocket is crazy super-engineered and the splines on the front of the crank look more like a transmission output shaft. Far cry from a simple key and keyway.

At 5:41, next to the vise in the background, is some Redline assembly lube.

Amazing what you don't see: The video never showed the ports or combustion chambers and the blower inlet is blurred during the disassembly and reassembly.

The cam sprocket is crazy super-engineered and the splines on the front of the crank look more like a transmission output shaft. Far cry from a simple key and keyway.

At 5:41, next to the vise in the background, is some Redline assembly lube.

Saw all that, and unless I'm mistaken, it didn't look that that engine had been run. There were a couple spots where you could still see assembly lube on it as they were taking it apart.

Cool vid though, that hole into the blower must be super special to them, which, of all the things you wouldn't want to show I wouldn't have thought that would be blur-worthy.

Cool vid though, that hole into the blower must be super special to them, which, of all the things you wouldn't want to show I wouldn't have thought that would be blur-worthy.

Managing the airflow is critical. There are all sorts of details that need attention between an engine that runs, and one that wins.

If you can, go to a NHRA event and watch the pits between rounds as they thrash on the engines to get them torndown and rebuilt.
I agree.
My brother and I used to go to the Cajun Nationals almost every year.
When I lived in FL. my son and I attended the Gator Nationals 4 times.

I can only imagine what a team like DSR has for an ARP bill every year. I try and use their hardware whenever possible, the people that work there are super nice. Their office is just south of me in Ventura and their products are made not far away from that in Santa Paula. Anytime I have gone to their office the workers have been incredibly friendly and helpful.

Wonder what's so top secret on the blower inlet?

What's the cylindrical thing which has 'XRP" on it? It was attached to the front left of the engine DURING disassembly.
Visible at 1:11 and later during reassembly.

Wonder what's so top secret on the blower inlet?

The size and shape of the inlet. As I said, there are all sorts of details that can make the difference between an engine that runs, and one that wins. The regulations are very strict, but there is still room for innovation, which can lead to a potential advantage.

I can only imagine what a team like DSR has for an ARP bill every year. I try and use their hardware whenever possible, the people that work there are super nice. Their office is just south of me in Ventura and their products are made not far away from that in Santa Paula. Anytime I have gone to their office the workers have been incredibly friendly and helpful.
I ate at that restaurant across the parking lot

No team is going to give up key aspects of their program...

Bob Glidden had a monster rollover wreck in one of his Pro Stock cars in the 1980s that tore off most of the body panels off the car. First thing he did after climbing out is take his jacket off and draped it over the now fully exposed intake manifold and carbs.

ford_boss_429-0.jpg

Race teams only show what they want you to see.

Back