Newer Spray Wax Performance in Colder weather

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there any negatives to using the newer Spray Wax products in Colder weather?

I'm thinking of TW SnS and the new TW Hybrid ceramic line when you're car is clean but it's 35 deg or so and sunny.

Waxes or Silicone or Ceramic type products need some warmth in order to dry to a haze properly so that they can be removed easily without streaking/smearing and becoming a PITA. If this is the type of product that you're talking about then maybe/maybe not however, IDK these products that you speak of.

I mean, there are other products that can be used in colder temperatures such as detail type products which go on clear and wiped off and are great for winter or colder seasons.

I'll wash down to 32 but wouldn't use anything other than a very basic quick detailer in the 30's (maybe not even that if there was no solar help). At a minimum I'd make sure the bottle was kept inside [warm] so the product didn't separate and can't recombine due to the cold, which I do see with some products if kept in my detached garage. Mid 40's with some help from the solar load on the finish is when I'd start using some products. Mid 50's is when you're pretty much clear on everything.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
Waxes or Silicone or Ceramic type products need some warmth in order to dry to a haze properly so that they can be removed easily without streaking/smearing and becoming a PITA. If this is the type of product that you're talking about then maybe/maybe not however, IDK these products that you speak of.

I mean, there are other products that can be used in colder temperatures such as detail type products which go on clear and wiped off and are great for winter or colder seasons.

TW SnS and Ceramic Hybrid spray are clear- milky clear liquids that spray on and wipe off quite easily.

I continue to keep my cars clean throughout the winter. I either bring them inside for an ONR wash or wash them outside and pull them in to dry and apply wax/sealant.

In the past I have used Meguiar's Ultimate Spray Wax outside in near freezing conditions without issue. YMMV.

Originally Posted by Toros

TW SnS and Ceramic Hybrid spray are clear- milky clear liquids that spray on and wipe off quite easily.

Well based on that, use'em without reservation. Good luck!
smile.gif

smile.gif

Thanks.... What happened to your Lexus??

I used the TW SNS last year, if it got above 32 I wash them, blow dry with a leaf blower and then follow up with SNS and drying aid, light mist on a micorfiber and wipe down, couple spritzes per panel and also do the windows, no issues and keeps water beading.

I havent tried the newer stuff the are introducing but like the TW SNS as mop up after washing thru out the year, I used 4 bottles on all the cars, was 6.95 a bottle which is tough to beat.

Bead Maker is a one-step and stays in the garage. Never seems to separate, and has no issues being applied in the cold. I keep the Torque Detail inside the house, as it separates just sitting still, and acts more like a wax when applied (apply, let haze, wipe off), which can be difficult when it's cold.

Are there any negatives to using the newer Spray Wax products in Colder weather?

I'm thinking of TW SnS and the new TW Hybrid ceramic line when you're car is clean but it's 35 deg or so and sunny.

I would use the TW SNS. It cures faster, unlike thr Hybrid ceramic wax.

The performance of any product applied in cold weather is going to be hindered. Sometimes we don't have a choice.

Spray the product on lightly and spread immediately and wipe. If you use a wipe on-wipe off product then this will be easier. If this is a spray wax then try the wax as you dry method. The residual water from the rinse will help spread the product easier.

The optimal solution is to do a thorough application of a wax or sealant before the cold weather but then again sometimes the weather doesn't cooperate.

smile.gif

Thanks.... What happened to your Lexus??

Surprised you remember my LEXUS!
My wife's RX300 was 15 yrs old and starting to cost me too much money & time to repair. Living in the salt belt was also taking its toll on steel lines and such although the RX's body was rust free. I retired in 2014 and don't want to be a slave to a vehicle. We sold the LEXUS to my SIL in Vegas where the SUV can finish out its life in style. It's running great and SIL loves it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by rooflessVW
I continue to keep my cars clean throughout the winter. I either bring them inside for an ONR wash or wash them outside and pull them in to dry and apply wax/sealant.

In the past I have used Meguiar's Ultimate Spray Wax outside in near freezing conditions without issue. YMMV.

+1 to Meguiars Ultimate Spray Wax
Liquid or paste waxes have solvents that need higher temperatures to evaporate and cause the wax to haze. As long as it is above freezing, what I believe are mainly water based spray waxes go on easily and wipe off easily as in the case of the Meguiars which I have used many times in cold weather. I also use it for door jambs, under the hood on painted areas, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back