New WIX 51334 design

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just picked up a WIX 51334 oil filter which said Made in South Korea on the package. It looks like production of this filter has moved to the Mann+Hummel factory where the OE filters for Hyundai and Kia are made. Construction looks nearly identical, except for the base plate which has 6 holes on the Wix vs 5 on the Hyundai OE filter. The gasket type is the same between the two filters. The bypass valve design looks the same as the OE filter, just without the Hyundai logo stamped on it. I'll plan to cut this open later this year after running it for about 7,500 miles and compare to a used Hyundai filter.

Pictures are attached with it next to the Hyundai filter. It would be interesting to know the efficiency numbers between the two filters to see if the Wix still retains its typical high efficiency numbers. The Hyundai filter is thought to be fairly inefficient vs. premium aftermarket filters, but a lot of this is based on an old video about counterfeit filters and the OE part number has been revised a few times since then.

wix51334_hyundaiOE_side.jpg

wix51334_hyundaioe_baseplate.jpg

I see a number of differences in the stamped parts; they weren't assembled from the same parts.

Originally Posted by jim302
The Hyundai filter is thought to be fairly inefficient vs. premium aftermarket filters,

I'd like to see some actual data or proof to disseminate that conclusion from.

Originally Posted by Linctex
The Hyundai filter is thought to be fairly inefficient vs. premium aftermarket filters,

I'd like to see some actual data or proof to disseminate that conclusion from.

It was from a video which showed the genuine 99% efficiency at >50 microns. The Fram Tough Guard claims 99% at >20 microns. It is an old video and the part number has changed a few times on the OE filter, so there's definitely a possibility that the OE filter is now more efficient. We also don't know exactly what test procedure was used. Unfortunately, it is all the information we have to go on right now. It is also debatable how much efficiency even matters, but some people care more than others and are more comfortable with a more efficient filter.

Honestly I have no issues using the OE filter or a quality aftermarket filter. With proper maintenance, engines either outlast the rest of the car unless there were flaws in the design or assembly. The oil filter isn't going to change that outcome by any meaningful amount of time or number of miles unless it is complete garbage. I would, however, not run an actual counterfeit filter.

Here's the video, look at the 1:35 mark for the efficiency test:

Last edited:
I just picked up a WIX 51334 oil filter which said Made in South Korea on the package. It looks like production of this filter has moved to the Mann+Hummel factory where the OE filters for Hyundai and Kia are made. Construction looks nearly identical, except for the base plate which has 6 holes on the Wix vs 5 on the Hyundai OE filter. The gasket type is the same between the two filters. The bypass valve design looks the same as the OE filter, just without the Hyundai logo stamped on it. I'll plan to cut this open later this year after running it for about 7,500 miles and compare to a used Hyundai filter.

Pictures are attached with it next to the Hyundai filter. It would be interesting to know the efficiency numbers between the two filters to see if the Wix still retains its typical high efficiency numbers. The Hyundai filter is thought to be fairly inefficient vs. premium aftermarket filters, but a lot of this is based on an old video about counterfeit filters and the OE part number has been revised a few times since then.

They sure do look similar. Also looks alot like an acdelco filter I ordered a while back that was made in Korea too.

Interesting again. Like the linked Napa ProSelect, looks like M&H has decided to use this design across the "Wix" or Wix made 1334 applications. Other than Wix name looks identical to the ProSelect. I think if I used this application, I'd just buy the least expensive which I'd assume would be the NPS. Not sure how long it's been out in Napa stores so might want to inspect before purchase. Some applications move faster than others, and at my local Napa filters kept behind the counter. I know it's a leap to say Wix/NPS same filters, but in this case I'm thinking not a big one.

If they're willing to cover 10 years or 100k miles with a 50μ, is it possible we're all overthinking this filter efficiency thing?
lol.gif

I've got some Napa Gold 1334 and a Silver 21334 on the shelf, I'll grab them tonight and post comparison pics and date codes. OTTOMH, I can't remember if they look identical to these or not.

The average car owner might not get any benefit from using a high efficiency/premium oil filter. Even if they keep the car 300,000 miles or longer, they will probably be fine with standard filters as long as they keep up with the recommended service intervals.
But if we are simply talking about wear on the moving engine parts, the efficiency of the filter does matter.
..."compared to a 40-micron filter, engine wear was reduced by 50 percent with 30-micron filtration. Likewise, wear was reduced by 70 percent with 15-micron filtration".
How To Choose The Right Oil Filter

^^^ Every study of engine wear vs. oil cleanliness shows that cleaner oil results in less wear. I'm still waiting for someone to post up links showing otherwise. If it makes any perceivable difference or not to the guy behind the wheel, then that's up to the guy who's spending money on the oil filters on that vehicle. Certainly more efficiency oil filters isn't going to hurt anything except maybe cause someone to have one less latte or Big Mac meal per year.

The Hyundai filter is thought to be fairly inefficient vs. premium aftermarket filters, but a lot of this is based on an old video about counterfeit filters and the OE part number has been revised a few times since then.

Despite possible visual similarities OEM and aftermarket filters may differ by specs. As for eventual cousin, it looks like Korean Mann W811/80 which has efficiency 50% @15 мicrons and 99% @>35 microns. By-pass valve opening is set @14.5 PSI, nominal (not maximum) flow is 7.93 GPM, dirty holding capacity is 9 gr. To my view W811/80 has very good spec and build quality though there is always a risk that spec could be tuned for WIX targeting the US market.

Last edited:
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but would anyone have any hesitations in using the Wix 51334 on a 2009 Elantra sedan with 200,000 km? I have used OEM filters in the past but looking to save a few bucks since the dealership is selling them for nearly $15 cdn now. This thread makes the two look nearly identical. I could order a pack of 12 wix from Rockauto for $8 each.

I've been running Pennzoil platinum 5w20 synthetic for the last couple years, changing the oil twice a year usually at about 6000 km but going by time now more than km.

The plan was to stick with OEM on my Kia Sorento with the 2.0T engine, at least until warranty is up. However if I got rid of the Elantra and had left over Wix filters, any hesitation using them on the turbo engine? In that case Pennzoil ultra platinum 5w30 at 5000km intervals.

Last edited:
You can get the MANN version which is the same from here.. They are Canadian.. I have ordered many of times from them and they are great..

https://partsavatar.ca/mann-filter-oil-filter-w811-80

Originally Posted by recon9
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but would anyone have any hesitations in using the Wix 51334 on a 2009 Elantra sedan with 200,000 km? I have used OEM filters in the past but looking to save a few bucks since the dealership is selling them for nearly $15 cdn now. This thread makes the two look nearly identical. I could order a pack of 12 wix from Rockauto for $8 each.

I've been running Pennzoil platinum 5w20 synthetic for the last couple years, changing the oil twice a year usually at about 6000 km but going by time now more than km.

The plan was to stick with OEM on my Kia Sorento with the 2.0T engine, at least until warranty is up. However if I got rid of the Elantra and had left over Wix filters, any hesitation using them on the turbo engine? In that case Pennzoil ultra platinum 5w30 at 5000km intervals.

Hmm that store is selling the plug gasket for $4!

Rock auto also has the Mann model for less than the Wix. Maybe I will give them a try.

Originally Posted by recon9

I have been using the Wix filters on a 2008 Spectra ( same engine as an Elantra) since 2015 with no issues.
Use with confidence!

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
If they're willing to cover 10 years or 100k miles with a 50μ, is it possible we're all overthinking this filter efficiency thing?
lol.gif

Old VW bugs could make it that far if the oil was changed often enough.
grin2.gif
Hyundai's maintenance schedule has the oil changes at a relatively short interval compared to other car manufacturers.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
lol.gif

Old VW bugs could make it that far if the oil was changed often enough.
grin2.gif
Hyundai's maintenance schedule has the oil changes at a relatively short interval compared to other car manufacturers.

My Hyundai GDI just cracked 9K - it's on it's 3rd oil change and this current brew of Valvoline Advanced 5w30 will go from clear on the dipstick, to black, in only 2K of service.

I don't have a turbo on it either. So in another 2K, my 4K OCI (severe service) will likely have some nasty looking oil. All city driving, compounded by 10 minutes warmups twice a day because of the cold weather, takes a toll on the oil.

So I kinda' understand and back HyunKia's short interval recommendations. I'll be using Pennzoil Platinum exclusively in the future. It boasts best cleaning power on the jug and at their website. I can't find another brand in mid-market jug pricing of $23, that says the same thing. If I did find it, I'd try that oil brand also.

Closest I could find is Mobil-1 Vanilla and that's going exclusively in our Kia 2.0 MPI next.

Last edited:
We had a 2013 KIA Optima with the 2.4 engine. We traded it at close to 60,000 miles. I used OE oil filters for a while and went to NAPA Gold 1334 when I discovered that they were essentially the same as the OE filter. I didn't spend a whole lot of money on oil. I used either QSUD 5W30 or Motorcraft SynBlend 5W30 and changed every 5,000 miles. We never had any engine problems. However, we ran 93 octane gas in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back