New Tool Box

If parts would stop being on backorder that would help a lot.
Agreed I went to the parts store to get some parts for my truck all back ordered checked rock auto and was out of stock so I was out of luck. The dealership I work at is running low on oil filters we haven’t been able to get more.

Cline,

Love your comment about the rape wagon!! Nice new box, I know you work hard, so why not enjoy some perks that come with owning your own shop and treat yourself.

Agreed I went to the parts store to get some parts for my truck all back ordered checked rock auto and was out of stock so I was out of luck. The dealership I work at is running low on oil filters we haven’t been able to get more.
What brand is your dealer? Mazda hasn't been that bad with recalls. Ford has been obscene.

You are definitely lucky then. I wish everything for me would speed up again. We haven’t had a lot of warranty come in either surprisingly. One thing I don’t miss though is the customers using all of our hand cleaner in the bathroom because our dealership is so small we don’t have our own wash area and stuff so we share the customer one they put our dispenser on the wall and the customers use it and so sometimes we don’t have any left. The boss put a note on there but that didn’t help 😂. We had 6 cars yesterday for 9 of us and who knows what will be next week. Today they told me and a few others not to even come in because they didn’t have a single appointment. The body shop has been the same way too nothing hardly for them either.

I hope it picks-up for you brother!!!! Do you mind if I ask where you're located? This whole thing didn't seem to affect the DFW metro area. The Toyota dealer I buy parts from (Freeman Toyota) looks to be busy as ever.

Got some tools in the box today.....Didn't have a minute during the week to even look at the new box!!

HKxHspU.jpg

ASUHTBd.jpg

I hope it picks-up for you brother!!!! Do you mind if I ask where you're located? This whole thing didn't seem to affect the DFW metro area. The Toyota dealer I buy parts from (Freeman Toyota) looks to be busy as ever.
No I don’t mind you asking I’m in Roanoke Virginia not a huge place but not small either I live in a place called Bent Mountain Virginia about 10 miles from Roanoke my drive to work is about 20 miles. If things don’t pick up by the end of the year I plan on going to work at either and independent shop or the Ford dealership or the county will hire me if I get a CDL so I am able to test drive the trucks if needed. And awesome tools. Wanted to ask two things about them first how do you like the Snap-on pliers I am thinking of trying them as I need good pliers I keep bending the Kobalt ones I have and 2. Do you like those ball hex better than regular I don’t have any experience with them just the regulars.

Wow I couldn’t get myself in debt like that I am also flat rate too I have bought a couple of tools from each truck one at a time so I could pay for them. I want one of the Snap-on boxes but I have got to save up for it but I am trying to find a good used one so I can buy it.
Surprised you guys are so slow. Most of my tech friends are extremely busy right now, both independent and dealership.

Surprised you guys are so slow. Most of my tech friends are extremely busy right now, both independent and dealership.
Yeah it isn’t any fun I think a lot of people in my area go to the other Toyota dealership about 30 miles the other direction because the service people and salesman are much friendlier there and they have people in specialties like Hybrids ans transmissions etc and other stuff where as we don’t. Good part is my boss lets me go to the pawn shop next door if we aren’t doing anything and jokes with me saying to bring him back a couple extra 10mm sockets lol he also brought his corn hole set from home for us to play and a grill for us to grill on he makes it worth staying just for that.

Yeah it isn’t any fun I think a lot of people in my area go to the other Toyota dealership about 30 miles the other direction because the service people and salesman are much friendlier there and they have people in specialties like Hybrids ans transmissions etc and other stuff where as we don’t. Good part is my boss lets me go to the pawn shop next door if we aren’t doing anything and jokes with me saying to bring him back a couple extra 10mm sockets lol he also brought his corn hole set from home for us to play and a grill for us to grill on he makes it worth staying just for that.
Seems like most Toyota recalls and service campaigns require an Expert level or MDT for completion. If your dealer does not have techs at those levels, how are the recalls and campaigns getting done?

Not done by a long shot......But a good start! Didn't get started 'til @ Noon because I was installing some upgraded light fixtures in the shop to replace the cheap Chicom ones I installed when I built the shop. Buying a ton #6 & #10 MC along with good receptacles, Breaker box, Breakers, & a 300amp Service didn't leave much for good lighting fixtures:)

These are Philips Day-Brite 4' 5100 lumen Vapor, Installed 6 of them. Would need 4 more to complete the retrofit. One of my clients is a electrical contractor & these were wrong for a job. Traded out some labor. At @$200 a piece......Not sure I'm going to buy 4 more when I don't need sealed Vapor fixtures.

Blfhw8R.jpg

Seems like most Toyota recalls and service campaigns require an Expert level or MDT for completion. If your dealer does not have techs at those levels, how are the recalls and campaigns getting done?
By us general techs (me and 2 others are master certified with ASE but in no certain area do we specialize in) unless we refer them to that dealership. Occasionally we will have a fill in one if we know we have something like that coming in they will send one of their guys to us we did have a MDT until July he left to go work at a faster place. Since then we haven’t seen many warranties really but a few here and there.

Not done by a long shot......But a good start! Didn't get started 'til @ Noon because I was installing some upgraded light fixtures in the shop to replace the cheap Chicom ones I installed when I built the shop. Buying a ton #6 & #10 MC along with good receptacles, Breaker box, Breakers, & a 300amp Service didn't leave much for good lighting fixtures:)

These are Philips Day-Brite 4' 5100 lumen Vapor, Installed 6 of them. Would need 4 more to complete the retrofit. One of my clients is a electrical contractor & these were wrong for a job. Traded out some labor. At @$200 a piece......Not sure I'm going to buy 4 more when I don't need sealed Vapor fixtures.

Blfhw8R.jpg
That’s one heck of a shop man I wish that was mine lol

No I don’t mind you asking I’m in Roanoke Virginia not a huge place but not small either I live in a place called Bent Mountain Virginia about 10 miles from Roanoke my drive to work is about 20 miles. If things don’t pick up by the end of the year I plan on going to work at either and independent shop or the Ford dealership or the county will hire me if I get a CDL so I am able to test drive the trucks if needed. And awesome tools. Wanted to ask two things about them first how do you like the Snap-on pliers I am thinking of trying them as I need good pliers I keep bending the Kobalt ones I have and 2. Do you like those ball hex better than regular I don’t have any experience with them just the regulars.

The latest "Beam" style Snap-on pliers are pretty good, But I think Knipex is pretty good also & may be a better buy for you.
I love my Ball Allens, But.....They have less surface area contacting the drive of the fastener than a regular straight allen. Haven't filled out my Allen/Torx drawer yet, So you don't see the whole arsenal that I have.
If a ball doesn't break the fastener loose right away & I can't get a straight on it......I use a sacrificial extension & give it a few smart wacks with a ball peen.

That's a pretty small market you're in, DFW has @ 20 Toyota dealers. Fort Worth is smaller than Dallas but still has close to 1 million residents.

The latest "Beam" style Snap-on pliers are pretty good, But I think Knipex is pretty good also & may be a better buy for you.
I love my Ball Allens, But.....They have less surface area contacting the drive of the fastener than a regular straight allen. Haven't filled out my Allen/Torx drawer yet, So you don't see the whole arsenal that I have.
If a ball doesn't break the fastener loose right away & I can't get a straight on it......I use a sacrificial extension & give it a few smart wacks with a ball peen.

That's a pretty small market you're in, DFW has @ 20 Toyota dealers. Fort Worth is smaller than Dallas but still has close to 1 million residents.
I’ll look into the Knipex I am still young as you probably know so I don’t want to make any mistakes buying I’m sure anything is better than the Kobalts I have they flex and bend with hardly no force like sheet metal. I might look into the ball hex then too. And yeah it is a small market we are just a little family owned dealership the family that owns it is super nice and they are working on getting us our own sink so the customers will stop using our stuff lol. Since we have been so slow I have been giving my work to my coworkers I just can’t see them or their families without something I am the only one there who doesn’t have kids and the new guy has kids and a $10,000 bill from that toolbox he bought last week and he is 29 just getting into the industry. I know it’s every man for himself in flat rate but that’s just not me allowing someone to go without I do occasionally get assigned a job and if it’s been a good day for everyone I will take it happily I have enough saved up to buy the pliers and stuff I definitely will look into the Knipex though sounds like a good deal I think they are available on one of the trucks but I might look online to see if I can get a deal on them.

Looks great Chris, shops is look real nice! I have a question for you, what are you using to drive the metal tapered external cone type axle seals in?
I have seal drivers but they are all flat faced so I have been using a cup from my OTC set but its not 100%, it works but its a PITA. I may just end up spinning one up in the lathe but a set would be easier.

... I am still young as you probably know so I don’t want to make any mistakes buying...

So many young guys think they need to drop thousands and thousands in the tool truck right away and get into mega debt. It's really nice to hear that you're considering your tool purchases so carefully and spending your money wisely.

Back