New to the cartridge oil filter party....

Status
Not open for further replies.
We just bought a 2007 Santa Fe with a 3.3 motor. It has a cartridge style filter which is a first for me on any vehicle we have owned.

I am amazed at the size of it. It is huge. Seems like the filters could last a long time and hold lots of dirt. I have had vehicles that had tiny filters that looked better suited to a riding mower.

Any thoughts on top quality cartridge filters?

Fram Ultra XG9999 .. Here is the reason: 4548-12 tests are best, and its good for 20,000 miles, wire-backed.
[Linked Image]

Big as it is, that thing will have no problem going a full 20,000 miles. I've seen bigger engines with much small oil filters. For example, GM V8's use the PF64, not big at all!

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Fram Ultra XG9999 .. Here is the reason: 4548-12 tests are best, and its good for 20,000 miles, wire-backed.
[Linked Image]

Big as it is, that thing will have no problem going a full 20,000 miles. I've seen bigger engines with much small oil filters. For example, GM V8's use the PF64, not big at all!

If that does NOT have the barb with tiny O ring, expect to see oil lamp flicker at idle. Saw it happen a lot before we used the p-989 champ labs filters. Just stating a fact

It is my understanding that you should get a large and small o-ring as they should be replaced.

Originally Posted by ZZman
It is my understanding that you should get a large and small o-ring as they should be replaced.

Correct sir
smile.gif

See if there is there is a preferred installation method.

It could be "click into place in the engine first" or "click into the housing first then install the complete housing" for this engine.

It may or may not matter. I do not know.

The "Do I benefit from filling the housing with oil to shorten the dry start-up" madness will be along shortly.

Best of luck with your new vehicle.

Q: Who has Pureflux? Never heard of 'em.

Originally Posted by MCompact
Originally Posted by rooflessVW
OE, Mann, Mahle, Hengst, Purflux.
Agreed.
None of which have the filtering performance of a Fram Ultra. Why recommend inferior filters? Are you saying it doesn't matter, and the engine won't explode? That would be true and the only possible way anybody would say to use paper oil filters over double-layer synthetic media.

Originally Posted by ZZman

They are included with the filter
smile.gif

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
I really like the Looks of the Santa Fe but seriously any car with a cartridge filter is off my buy list.

Why?

Assuming it's top mounted, it's the easiest to access and replace, with minimal mess.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
I really like the Looks of the Santa Fe but seriously any car with a cartridge filter is off my buy list.

Why?

Assuming it's top mounted, it's the easiest to access and replace, with minimal mess.

Exactly- it's a no brainer.

Originally Posted by Kira
Who has Pureflux? Never heard of 'em.

Purflux was (or is) OEM for Renault, and probably some other cars manufacturers.

Purflux is part of sogefi filter division, who makes the filters with those brands: Purflux, FRAM, and Coopers Fiamm. I go with those brands if I can't find a Mann (that is OEM on PSA), Mahle, Hengst, Bosch. I rely Purflux and like the same that I do for Clean Filters, Wix, Hifi, Fleetguard, Mecafilter. I tend to avoid Ashika, and I will use Klaxcar only if I have no other choice and can't wait for a mail-in order.

I had an 07 SantaFe with the 3.3 engine. I absolutely loved the top mount cartridge filter. I did all of my oil changes myself. At 150,000 miles I had done almost 40 of them. In the very beginning I started using the Fram filters. I always replaced both O rings. The Fram O rings were out of tolerance and always leaked. Also those filters were made in China. I switched over to the original Hyundai filter and had zero problems. You can snap the cartridge in place in the canister housing or snap it into the cap, it doesn't matter. Lubricate the large O ring and the small O rings inside the filter before snapping in. If you get an oil extractor you can do all of your oil changes without ever getting under the car.
As a side note, that engine is a workhorse. When I sold it at 150K it ran and sounded as good as the day I bought it. Always used synthetic oil and changed it around 4,500 miles. And also, I recommend getting an O ring pick to help out.
Wishing you the best with your SantaFe.

For my Hyundai, I bought some OEM filters (got a deal 4 for $30).
Only reason I am not using an Ultra is they didn't make one when I was buying (they do now, still not widely available, but it will be what I use once I finish with the OEM ones I have).

confused2.gif
You soon will have no cars to buy then. I think the canister filter days are numbered.

Originally Posted by Kira
Q: Who has Pureflux? Never heard of 'em.

They are the ones that make the zig-zag media. e-bay and Amazon are the only places I have seen them to buy.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Originally Posted by MCompact
Originally Posted by rooflessVW
OE, Mann, Mahle, Hengst, Purflux.
Agreed.
None of which have the filtering performance of a Fram Ultra. Why recommend inferior filters? Are you saying it doesn't matter, and the engine won't explode? That would be true and the only possible way anybody would say to use paper oil filters over double-layer synthetic media.

There are (at least) two failed Ultra cartridge threads on this board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back