new tires for wife's car

For most people, remounting and balancing a tire would cost $20-$30. Probably not worth it if the tire is going to be replaced soon anyway.
Half worn tires could last in slme case 20-30k miles. $20-30? What you saying is that you would feel perfectly comfortable if United Airlines maintenance installs tire on an airplane not fallowing tire manufacturer guidelines?
There is a reason why they want tire to spin in certain direction.

Michelin was the only tire I would buy always happy with them.

After 3 disappointing sets of tires and no help under warranty I said good buy.

Tires with a 70,000 mile rating going 26k.

Sidewall cracks on 4 year old tires that were bad enough I replaced them with a lot of tread left.

Just sold my wife’s SUV with Michelin Defender LTX M&S 2 70,000 mile rating with 16,000 miles on them and they were down to 5/32.

What you saying is that you would feel perfectly comfortable if United Airlines maintenance installs tire on an airplane not fallowing tire manufacturer guidelines?
Sure. Less than 1 percent of the flight uses the tires anyway, so unless they do something really dangerous, like inflate to 20 psi instead of 200, I'm fine however they install it. ;)

• Sad
Reactions: 4WD
Sure. Less than 1 percent of the flight uses the tires anyway, so unless they do something really dangerous, like inflate to 20 psi instead of 200, I'm fine however they install it. ;)
ask @Astro14 about your assumptions.
As for $20-30 being too much. Don’t forget that driving is a privilege not a right. Your responsibility is to keep vehicle safe on the road because of others and yourself. Laws of physics don’t cease to exist because tire is half way worn out or you don’t have $20.

As long as the tires have good tread, proper inflation, no bulges or sidewall damage, the mounting direction isn't a big worry to me. As another post mentioned, it also has to do with noise. I have a tire machine and balancer so would make it right at no cost, but I don't see people driving beaters are going to. Of all the hazards out there like people on the phone and texting, this is pretty low priority.

That is idiotic. Not just wrong, idiotic.

A tire failure at the moment of takeoff or landing because it was incorrectly installed could lead to a crash.

Tires on the airplanes aren’t like cars. They may be used for one percent of the flight, but those are critical moments in the Flight.

So, it’s like saying I’d be fine with brain surgery if one percent of the surgery didn’t go well. Well, yeah, and you end up dead, because that one percent, that cerebral arterial bleed, actually was important.

You are a proponent for a great number of sketchy practices when it comes to Automobiles. Please do not extrapolate those sketchy practices into something you don’t understand, like aviation.

The lack of negative consequences due to those sketchy practices does not make them safe. I could drive around without a seatbelt on, for example, and if I didn’t crash, I could make your argument that it’s “fine“. That doesn’t mean that I met the minimum standard of safety while I had the belt unfastened.

Symmetric Tread Patterns​

A symmetric tread pattern is the most common and features continuous ribs or independent tread blocks across the entire tread face where both inboard and outboard halves feature the same pattern. Tires featuring symmetric tread patterns allow using multiple tire rotation patterns.

Asymmetric Tread Patterns​

An asymmetric pattern is designed to blend the requirements of dry grip and water dispersal/snow traction where the tread pattern changes across the face of the tire. An asymmetric tread pattern usually incorporates larger tread ribs/blocks on the outboard side to increase cornering stability on dry roads by offering greater contact area. This also helps to reduce tread squirm and heat buildup on the outside shoulder. The inboard side usually features smaller independent tread blocks to aid wet and/or winter traction when driving straight ahead. Tires featuring asymmetric tread patterns allow using multiple tire rotation patterns.

Directional (Unidirectional) Tread Patterns​

A directional (also called a unidirectional) tread pattern is designed to roll in only one direction. It incorporates lateral grooves on both sides of the tire's centerline that point in the same direction and result in v-shaped tread blocks. These grooves enhance hydroplaning resistance at high speeds by pumping water more efficiently through the tread pattern. Unless they are dismounted and remounted on their wheels to accommodate use on the other side of the vehicle, directional tires are to be used on one side of the vehicle and are intended to be rotated from the front axle to the rear axle. If different tire sizes are used on the front vs. rear axle, the tires become location-specific and prohibit tire rotation unless remounted.

Asymmetric and Directional Tread Patterns​

Tires with a tread pattern that is both asymmetric and directional have v-shaped tread grooves that are offset compared to the centerline of the tire. Tires featuring asymmetric and directional tread patterns must be treated as directional tires for tire rotation. However, if different tire sizes are used on the front vs. rear axle, they become location-specific and prohibit any tire rotation possibilities.

Source: Tirerack

What Are The Differences In Tire Tread Patterns?

ask @Astro14 about your assumptions.
As for $20-30 being too much. Don’t forget that driving is a privilege not a right. Your responsibility is to keep vehicle safe on the road because of others and yourself. Laws of physics don’t cease to exist because tire is half way worn out or you don’t have $20.
How much Premium Troll Food do you have left?
Man, that’s surely a hungry one you got there … 🧌

As long as the tires have good tread, proper inflation, no bulges or sidewall damage, the mounting direction isn't a big worry to me. As another post mentioned, it also has to do with noise. I have a tire machine and balancer so would make it right at no cost, but I don't see people driving beaters are going to. Of all the hazards out there like people on the phone and texting, this is pretty low priority.
JFC. So, if you see people without seatbelt, having Jack Daniels bottle while driving, running away from police, do you do it too?
I am not sure that you really understand this discussion. We don’t discuss with you to convince you into anything, because that would be fool’s errand. We discuss it so others, who want to be responsible drivers, but don’t know this subject, don’t do stupid things.

I would assume the tech would look up the correct way just in case the last person that mounted the tire mounted it backwards.
I had a Tech install all 4 Pirelli AS3's the wrong way. It says "inside" and "outside". He said that is wrong, the more open tread blocks and zig zag sipes should be on the outer edge.

I saw as soon as I walked out to the car. Went back to manager and said I never want that guy touching my cars again.

The manager corrected all of them while I stood and watched.

I had a Tech install all 4 Pirelli AS3's the wrong way. It says "inside" and "outside". He said that is wrong, the more open tread blocks and zig zag sipes should be on the outer edge.

I saw as soon as I walked out to the car. Went back to manager and said I never want that guy touching my cars again.

The manager corrected all of them while I stood and watched.
“My knowledge was too much to bear for Pirelli, so here I am, installing tires.”

“My knowledge was too much to bear for Pirelli, so here I am, installing tires.”
That’s like when Goodyear scratched 4/4 brand new 18x8 rims (looked sweet on my 1998 Maxima) shipped from the tire rack. The tires were 235/40-18.

When I complained, the tech said, “You try mounting them yourself if you think you can do it without scratching them,” and the mgr told him to go back to the garage area

One time I ordered 4 tires from TR to be shipped to one of their recommended local installers. When the tires came in, I went to the shop. The shop installed the tires and sent me out the door. On the way home, I felt strange vibration. When I got home, I noticed one of the tires was in a different size than the other 3. Both TR and the installer missed it.

Back