New tires for 1988 Toyota Pickup 4x4 22re

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was trying to get opinions for new tires on my pickup. It's a 1988 Toyota Pickup, xtra cab, 22re, 4x4 used primarily on paved roads and 5% on unpaved like gravel roads. It's my work truck so it'll be driven all seasons and where I live it rains 9 months out of the year and has the potential to snow. The truck came with 31's but I feel they are not needed. I was thinking about going to oem which is 225/75R15 or as close to it as I can. What brand and tire would you guys recommend just for everyday use and used a lot on wet roads and able to handle mild snow and ice? Thanks in advance

For lots of rain, occasional snow, I would go with Michelin's Defender LTX. 225/75R15 leaves you fewer options than 235/75R15 or the 31x10.5R15. If you go with the latter sizes, you can get the Defender LTX or the LTX MS2. Both excel in the wet and both do well in the snow.

Up your way, you might be able to get the Nokian Rotiiva which is an AT tire - and which would do very well in the rain and very well in snow. It would be a good choice for gravel use, too.

I've got the WR G3 (all season tire) on my Tundra and they're simply great in both the rain and snow. My truck doesn't even see gravel these days, so the all season has been great. Quiet and smooth on the highway with excellent traction in rain, snow and ice. The truck gets driven to Vermont quite often, and has been through a couple of blizzards and lots of wintry mix. I can't say enough good things about Nokian performance in that kind of slop. The WR G3 is available in 235/75R15.

Last edited:
I had the same truck, a 90 4wd Pickup; mine was an AT. I gave it to my BIL years back.
It lives in Gig Garbow, WA and has more than 350K miles. Never seen the inside of a garage.
The Michelin highway all weather tires are great; kinda pricey.
I put a set of Prerunner steel wheels on my truck; they were wider than the 22RE wheels.
I would say any good highway tread truck tires will give good gas mileage, be smooth and quiet.
These trucks are long runners. I miss mine.

The Defender LTX is a great tire. For a few lower priced recommendations I'd look into the General Grabber HTS60 or Pirelli Scorpion ATR. The ATR is a very tame all terrain tire that would be good for your described drive. I really like the HTS60 and recommend them to many customers. Tire rack testing showed that they were an excellent wet weather tire.

Originally Posted by Gebo
+ 4 on the Defenders. They will balance and last a long time.

Ditto. I have the passenger car version on my Accord for the summer and I did use them for the winter as well before I got a dedicated set of snows and they are excellent in all conditions. Very quiet and smooth, not jarring over bumps. Well worth the price.

So far I am happy with my Cooper AT3 4S tires. So far great in rain, minor off road and dry pavement. Haven't used in snow yet.

+ whatever on the Michelin defenders.

Lightweight tire with class leading performance for your stated driving conditions.

I'm active outdoors so I spend a lot of time off the pavement. Even with that, I haven't found the need to compromise my superior on road performance. The defenders are far more capable off road than most give them credit for.

I'd go with the Defenders or the Costco version, the X LT A/S. Costco is having a Black Friday promo on Michelin until 12/2 and you're in their home country.

I think Goodyear or Conti/Pirelli make a all-terrain tire that's 3PMSF-marked in case WSDOT are sticklers about "mud & snow" tires as well.

Originally Posted by nthach
I'd go with the Defenders or the Costco version, the X LT A/S. Costco is having a Black Friday promo on Michelin until 12/2 and you're in their home country.

I think Goodyear or Conti/Pirelli make a all-terrain tire that's 3PMSF-marked in case WSDOT are sticklers about "mud & snow" tires as well.

I have the "X LT" on my 4x4 Dakota, great on the highway, rain, and good in the gravel and mud. (Haven't gotten any snow since I bought them).

You are very limited in 225/75-15. If you want to stick to that size, your best bet might be a Firestone Destination LE2. Otherwise you might need to get a wider rim or go to a 16". You can also get General Altimax RT43 in 235/70R-15, but the load rating may be too low or your rims too narrow.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JLTD
+1 on the Defenders. Long lasting tire with great wet performance.

I agree on the wet performance but my set has 40K miles on them and
are close to needing replacement . Much to my disappointment I wont get
anywhere near the 70-80K miles on them that they advertise and I am pretty
religious about air pressure and rotations .They are looking like a nice even wear
but I have maybe 10K to go before they are junk. Another issue is they dont balance
too well at high speeds. 85MPH they will vibrate and thats my truck as well as my
buddys Denali - I am will be switching to something else soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back