New Tire compound from XOM

Status
Not open for further replies.
LINK

Quote:
ExxonMobil Chemical Company will commercialize a new product that may revolutionize the tire industry.

A blend of synthetic rubber and nylon, the product allows for lighter and more durable tires that roll easier and maintain proper air pressure far longer than conventional tires. These characteristics translate to vehicles that use less fuel and, thus, create fewer emissions.

It would be nice if they can make a synthetic tire that stays really black thru most of it's life.

Polyurethane tires are also being developed. One benefit is that these tires don't have to be black and can be any color they want.

I already envision one use where there will be no need for wear bars. The tire will turn from black to some bright color, making it obvious of running on unsafe tires.

Not to put a damper on the enthusiam - and sometimes it does take a while before a concept becomes mature enough to make it into production -

BUT,

I have listened for 35 years to the new product releases by suppliers to both the tire industry and the automobile industry - and this sounds exactly like one of them. So take what they say with a grain of salt (maybe the whole shaker!!)

And Polyurethane? Another revolution 35 years in the making!!

Originally Posted By: Kestas
I already envision one use where there will be no need for wear bars. The tire will turn from black to some bright color, making it obvious of running on unsafe tires.

It's a great idea and I'd support it.

Problem is, some people are so clueless, that it still wouldn't register to them. The way you see people driving around on a tire with about 10 pounds of air in it, it is obvious that they never even *LOOK* at their tires...

Yeah people don't even check to make sure all their light are working either. I've gotten behind a 92 caprice a few times on the way to work since october. Had a taillight out. Got behind him the other day, and same taillight is still out...

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
I could see a nylon bead down the center of the tire about 1" wide.

Sounds like the south-of-the-border TPMS system,,,,,,BOOM floppita,floppita,floppita,,,,,,,,
grin2.gif

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back