New Speed Queen washer....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, after having 2 high efficiency washers (one front loader, one top loader) in 6 years become really nice paper weights, I finally bought a Speed Queen top loader and what a difference! I had forgotten what it's like to have a machine take only 35 minutes to get clothes CLEAN. To all my fellow BITOGers , if you need a washer and can afford one of these things, they are the only way to go. American made and seriously hard core, I'll be dead before I need another one!

Thank you
01.gif

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Thank you

Are you thanking him because you were the salesman at the store?

What do you guys do to your washers? We had 2 LG front loaders, one that lasted from 2004 - 2011 and was only retired because of a sewer flood that filled it with that water. The other Kenmore (LG) has been from 2011-present. Both do take time but get clothes CLEAN. We're talking putting in nasty soiled kitchen cloths that stink and out comes clean and nice smelling cloths.

Our clothes never came out this clean from any top loader.

Glad you are enjoying your SQ - they are built like tanks.

I never thought I would discuss this on BITOG, but yes, we have a Speed Queen wash machine.

When I was a younger man and lived where I did NOT have a washer & dryer and went to the laundromat, Speed Queen is all they ever had. I now have better employment, but I sometimes travel for weeks and still use laundromats when traveling, Speed Queen is all I see in commercial usage in laundromats...I think there's a reason for that...They WORK.

Just went to the old desktop and looked it up; we purchased model AWN542 on July 26, 2011. It purrs. And no, they don't sell these at the big box stores, we went to a commercial laundry supply. Pricey? Yes. Made in America? Yes. https://www.speedqueen.com/the-speed-queen-difference/american-quality.aspx

Durable? Yes. Will we ever own another brand? NO, and this machine may outlive us.

Out of curiosity, how much can you expect to spend on a Speed Queen? I like the sounds of the quality and US manufacture.

Edit:
Just did a quick search. I thought they were only commercially available, but some appliance stores around here have them. Looks like they run between $1000-1500 for a washer and a little less for a dryer.

Look like nice machines, but Im not convinced they are as robust as my Mieles.

In looking at their 22lb front load machine it has plastic ladles inside the drum, doesnt spin as fast as my miele, and I can't tell how how it can get the water.

I have a semi commercial environment in that DW brings home a load of soiled laundry from animal care every day that need to be either hot enough to be disinfected or use bleach to accomplish the germ killing.

UD

Last edited:
Yes that is my exact same experience I now own a speed queen and it so far has out lasted the last Maytag washer and Whirlpool top loaders since the year 2,000.

Originally Posted By: double vanos
Well, after having 2 high efficiency washers (one front loader, one top loader) in 6 years become really nice paper weights, I finally bought a Speed Queen top loader and what a difference! I had forgotten what it's like to have a machine take only 35 minutes to get clothes CLEAN. To all my fellow BITOGers , if you need a washer and can afford one of these things, they are the only way to go. American made and seriously hard core, I'll be dead before I need another one!

I assume it's high efficiency not an agitator?

The agitator ones are harder on your clothes and do not spin as fast so more water is left in the clothes = longer drying cycle.

A local shop near me had a basic SQ top loader for $1200 the time I needed a replacement washer earlier this year. They are the only brand not conforming to the HE standard.

Wasn't in the budget so we got a Kenmore top loader for half that.

As far as agitators go, my old LG did not have one, and as a result always kicked out on balance during its spin cycles. So far the SQ hasn't chewed up anything and needs no supervision while doing its job - just put the soap and clothes in and turn it on. We do everything on large load setting. When done with the final spin the clothes are pretty much perfectly arranged around the tub. I think that having an agitator is why we have had no out of balance issues....
Living in Arizona, drying clothes on a line really works, but socks, undies and such are spun dry enough for the dryer to make short work of them. Maybe in a high humidity area this would be an issue. Our LG was so scary on spin cycle (after you re-set the clothes of course) we always selected low speed. The SQ weighs substantially more and has some really sticky rubber cups on its feet, so it hasn't moved. I had a 2x4 nestled up against the wall to keep the LG from banging into it.

We replaced our washing machine this summer with a Speed Queen top loader. I can't honestly speak to longevity as it's only been in about five months, but based on the product weight the tank description isn't far off. All metal gearbox. Belt driven. Stainless steel inner tub, and porcelain steel outer tub. Our last top loader was a Kenmore (Whirlpool) and it was out of balance fairly frequently. Always had to readjust the load to get it to spin. So far in five months not one load has been out of balance

Shop around on price. I looked at the company website and found dealers close to me. Called every dealer within reasonable driving distance and found the mechanical control top loader for $749. If you shop around the Speed Queen can be had for not much more than the big box el cheapo top loaders and for quite a bit less than the fancy front loaders.

Last edited:
According to Consumers Reports, Speed Queens are the only top loader washers rated excellent for gentleness. Plus they actually beat 9 LG front loader washers in gentleness test and several other front loaders according to Consumers Reports.
My wife originally wanted a new front loader, but other factors changed her mind. We own a 5 acre lot on well water with plans to build a home when the lease ends on a home we are renting on it.
I'm having the drain pipes water jetted today and is why the washer is moved out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back