NEW Rotella T6 15w40

Noticed Shell has a full Syn 15w40 and 0w40 added to their T6 offerings. Prior to this the T6 was 5w40. Not sure I see a reason for 15w40 full syn when there was already a 5w40 full syn

Originally Posted by ToadU
Noticed Shell has a full Syn 15w40 and 0w40 added to their T6 offerings. Prior to this the T6 was 5w40. Not sure I see a reason for 15w40 full syn when there was already a 5w40 full syn

Didn't know about the 0W, but the 15W has been around for a while.

I understand making an Ow for cold climates but not understanding the 15w40 when they already have a 5w40. To me there really isn't a difference except 5w is the better choice for cold climates. Not understanding the benefit of a 15w40 in the product line up. They have conventional 15w40 and a full syn 5w40. Complicates decision making for the average buyer.

Originally Posted by OilReport99
Didn't know about the 0W, but the 15W has been around for a while.

The 0w40 T6 has been out for some time now, I want to say late 2015? I bought some to use in my old Jetta but never did. Finally used it up in my old S10.

For summer temps or warm-weather climates, I prefer the tighter spread, rather than a wide range 5w-40 or 0w-40 type oil. Might be antiquated thinking, but in my mind the tighter spread ought to be more resistant to shearing out of grade, or have less viscosity improvers. So if you don't need the cold weather performance which may offer no advantage in a given climate / season, you might gain advantages in overall oil robustness.

Chevron released a Delo 15w-30 some years back that I thought was the greatest thing since sliced bread. I used to be able to pick it up locally (this was a few years ago) but it wasn't available for long, and I haven't seen it since.

Thanks for the post. Yes, the 0W40 has been around but mostly up in Canada. It's also rated SN. I think the 15W40 was something the highway truckers were asking for and certainly couldn't hurt if you're not in a cold climate. Keep on Truckin'.

The newer 15-40 Syn is JASO MA & MA2 rated, thus suitable for wet clutch motorcycle. Just picked up a jug to try in my Can Am spyder. I don't ride in cold weather and don't need the 5-40 but a lot of cyclists have been using it for years.

Also got some for my Kioti tractor. Have been using Deltran Semi and didn't know they now have full Syn.

Originally Posted by ToadU

Both been around awhile... they have skipped all around the magical 10w40 I guess you could blend 5w40 and 15w40 yourself.. they would sell alot to OPE, powersports and others if they offered a 10w40 i think.

T6 15w40 found a happy home with older powerstroke, cummins and duramax guys.. alot of those older engines still rolling coal.

I would assume the 5W40 and 15W40 are Group III based, while the 0W40 probably contains a decent amount of Group IV PAO for its low temperature ability.

Living in a warm climate myself, I would prefer a 15W40 Grp III over a 5W40 Grp III any day of the week. My view is that, given the same oil Group, you should never buy more cold weather starting performance than what you require for your climate.

To improve starting performance, within the same oil Group, you need to use lower viscosity base oils in the blend, then jack it up on polymer VII. It's these polymer viscosity index improvers that shear, not the base oil. The lower viscosity base oils would also have a higher Noack volatility.

So comparing a similar formulated, 5W40 to a 15W40, the 15W40 would be more shear resistance and show lower Noack volatility, win & win if you can start with it. If you live in a cold climate, then no choice, the 5W40 or 0W40 is the better selection.

To me I don't see the point of 5W40, if we assume that the 0W40 is blended from PAO. A Group IV 0W40 and a Group III 15W40 is all you need. Given similar price points, but PAO oils are usually more expensive, hence 5W40.

BTW I don't know for sure how these actual Rotella oils are blended, I'm talking in more general terms.

Here is a Rotella T6 15W40 VOA
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5069502/

Thank you all for the feedback and education. Much appreciated. I don’t make it to retail stores free so didn’t know the T6 15w40 And zero weights has been around awhile. My shop and company always buys in bulk. thank you all!!!

I would assume the 5W40 and 15W40 are Group III based, while the 0W40 probably contains a decent amount of Group IV PAO for its low temperature ability.

To me I don't see the point of 5W40, if we assume that the 0W40 is blended from PAO. A Group IV 0W40 and a Group III 15W40 is all you need. Given similar price points, but PAO oils are usually more expensive, hence 5W40.

BTW I don't know for sure how these actual Rotella oils are blended, I'm talking in more general terms.

Here is a Rotella T6 15W40 VOA
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5069502/
For some reason Shell being Shell, I'd suspect that their 0w40 is probably mostly GTL Group III

From the VOA and lab reports here - I cant be the only one that thinks the T5 15W-40 looks better than the T6 15W-40.

Back