New Roll Cart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well....It's actually used & I bought it about 4 years ago from a struggling young mechanic that was eyeballs deep in debt, Was about to get repoed so I paid off the Snap-on man & took possession for a little over $600.

My old Snap-on KRSC31 (The Black 3 drawer roll cart) is falling apart & collapsing on itself from me overloading it for last 15 years. The bottom tray is bent where the casters bolt on & the frame bolt holes are wallered out....I could probably act stupid & get it warrantied, But I'm not about that.

This KRSC46 is comparatively built like a tank! So smooth & square
grin.gif
Didn't really realize how "grainy" the drawer slides had gotten on the KRSC31 either.

Most of all.....The extra storage space it provides is really nice!!! Traded out A LOT of old worn out tools for newer "low mileage" tools I've collected over the years & added a ton of hand tools that I normally keep in my big Masters Series box at home. I've always dreaded changing & learning a new layout....But it's been a pleasure so far!!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Very nice!!!

I never understood why so many mechanics are a slave to the Snap-on truck (like the guy you got the deal from) making payment after payment on basically overpriced stuff. Sure the hand tools are quality, but so are other brands for less. The other stuff they sell, even the rebranded stuff, is overpriced. I would never pay their price on tool boxes when a HF box is darn near as good for so much less. It just holds tools. With that, I do own a lot of Snap on - but paid as I could cash. I recommend any new mechanic to shop value and get a full set of tools be it Pittsburg, Craftsman or even used Snap on etc and build as they grow...and make more money! Don't finance a whole Snap on set!

Last edited:
That's a beautiful tool chest Clinebarger.
I'm curious though. What is the box like device that is centered on the underside of the top lid?

Last edited:
Dukie that's a lid stiffener.

CLine Good looking rig. I've wanted about the same box with no lid. What do you suppose that box costs new today? Goes good with the new shop!

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Those stubby Cornwell ratchets are nice. Does the lid ever go down once you're set up?

It stays open.....The Cornwell Stubby flat ratchets are OK, But the Gearwrench versions are just as good if not better. I have a set of Blue-Point 15° reversible stubbies, But not has handy as flat ratchet combinations!

Originally Posted by Kira
What became of the mechanic you bought it from?

Please, no "who cares" answers.

Last I heard....He was going back to school for a new career path. He could have done alright as a mechanic if he would have gave it more time as he was a pretty smart kid! UTI had him convinced he could graduate & leapfrog his way to a top earner. It doesn't work that way, Especially with custom engine swaps which is what we did at Larry's Speed & Custom. No school can prepare you for that.

Originally Posted by RoadDukie
That's a beautiful tool chest Clinebarger.
I'm curious though. What is the box like device that is centered on the underside of the top lid?

It is a stiffener like P10 said.....But it was added so you can mount a Monitor or a Scan Tool to the lid. Has 2 "Nut-serts" that are covered by the Snap-on decal. Pretty sure they discontinued mounting accessories but left the stiffener in place. The lid on my old cart is actually bent from strapping it down during a move.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by GMBoy
Very nice!!!

I never understood why so many mechanics are a slave to the Snap-on truck (like the guy you got the deal from) making payment after payment on basically overpriced stuff. Sure the hand tools are quality, but so are other brands for less. The other stuff they sell, even the rebranded stuff, is overpriced. I would never pay their price on tool boxes when a HF box is darn near as good for so much less. It just holds tools. With that, I do own a lot of Snap on - but paid as I could cash. I recommend any new mechanic to shop value and get a full set of tools be it Pittsburg, Craftsman or even used Snap on etc and build as they grow...and make more money! Don't finance a whole Snap on set!

I agree!!

Originally Posted by Trav
Nice! It sucks you are in the business so long you have to replace tools because they are work out of just outdated. In the same situation myself at almost 62.

Yep.....Like the thousands I have in SAE tools that I have stacked in my storage container! Probably need to sell some of it. When a tool gives me 20-30 years of good service, I don't cry Warranty! That crap has effect on prices of premium tools. The exception being Ratchet rebuilds & Bit Drivers....Must have broken hundreds of T40 bits in the last 20 years swapping LSx camshafts.

Originally Posted by P10crew
CLine Good looking rig. I've wanted about the same box with no lid. What do you suppose that box costs new today? Goes good with the new shop!

Thanks P10! A new KRSC46 retails for around $1,900, Can get one for around $1,600 on a cash deal off the truck.
Good used ones.....@$1,200.....They're in high demand!

CLine I've been noseing around those pics. Can you tell me about those 6 crimpers that you have? looks like one is plug wire and one or 2 are red blue yellow what are the rest of them? What brand are they?

All of them are Packard/Delphi terminal crimping tools for GM, But work on many other terminals from other makes as well. None are made for insulated butt connectors or plug wires.
The round ones are for criming the silicone seals on Delphi 150 series & Packard Metri-Pack.

I have well over a grand invested in those 6 crimpers & they paid for themselves many time over considering what replacement connectors cost. There are some "Multi" crimp tools on the market now that are comparable for way less money!! But don't normally cover the Silicone Seals.

Interesting!!!!! I've been using weather packs for a long time but I've always soldered the wire into the pin. The ones I use has the silicone donut that slides over the wire and then the connector body flips down and locks the seal into the connector.... are we talking about the same connectors?

I'll take some pics of the components that are in my kit. I think I see now that one of the dies is for the insulation crimp and then the one that crimps the pin to the wire.

Not sure brother?
grin.gif

Delphi 150 requires the seal to be crimped on the wire, There are higher numbers that correspond to higher amperage capacity connectors. The old Packard Weather-pack connectors use the same tooling!

Scroll down to Page 66 to get an idea what I'm talking about.....https://www.powerandsignal.com/docs/Catalog/met150.pdf

I guess it's possible to not crimp the seal if your using terminals without the "Seal Flags" or simply cut them off?....And use the TPA (Terminal Position Assurance) clip to push the seal down....But this kinda defeats the purpose of the TBA as it's not pushing on the terminal itself without the seal being crimped to it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

These are the wp's that I buy. I would like to buy the dies for my old excelite crimper to correctly crimp these. The box don't specifically say series 150.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I may contact paladin on Monday to see if they can dial in on the correct dies for my crimper.
Ok I looked at that cutaway. I guess I have been assembling them wrong. I have been assembling them with the outer most flags grabbing the wire insulation and installing the seal with the nose out rather than in the crimp. Shame shame! Do you know what series of weather pack's would be 40 amp rated? I want to get stocked up on those in a 2 cavity and get the dies as well. Thanks man!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back