New Renegade 1.3L Turbo oil/breakin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picking up my new Jeep Renegade Trailhawk with the 1.3L turbo. I believe it calls for 0w30. What are the thoughts on breaking it in? Baby it? Drive it hard? Mix? Is driving it on the highway a few hours bad for it? (through some rolling hills)? How long to leave the factory oil in?

For the oil choice, I'm thinking Pennzoil Platinum in the 0W30. But open to other ideas.

You're supposed to vary the rpms without pushing it too hard. Check the owners manual for what it specifies on procedure (if it does). If it were my car I would change the oil at 500 miles, then again at 2k and again at 5k. From there its really up to you (and your warrantee) on how often you change it. Another thing I would do is have the transmission fluid changed at around 15k to clear any break in debris. Some say its not worth doing and some say its an absolute must, just something I'd recommend for comfort. As for oil pretty much any sn+ will do you well I haven't read up too much on Pennzoil platinum but if you're confident in it run it. Some other good shouts are mobile 1 for the reputation of a very clean engine (even better starting from new) and the castrol edge and magnatec series have shown some good UOAs.

And its recommended not to sit at the same rpm for long periods of time for what that's worth, so I would say long highway driving is not a go yet.

Last edited:
The ACEA C2 / API SN spec is required. Not sure if one or both...
This 0W-30 MOTOR OIL - RAVENOL FES has the C2 spec!

Here's what my 2014 FCA Jeep vehicle recommends: "Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km). After the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable.While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in.Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental and should be avoided.

Does the current owner's manual still have that "full throttle acceleration" recommendation in it?

Originally Posted by HoosierJeeper
Picking up my new Jeep Renegade Trailhawk with the 1.3L turbo. I believe it calls for 0w30. What are the thoughts on breaking it in? Baby it? Drive it hard? Mix? Is driving it on the highway a few hours bad for it? (through some rolling hills)? How long to leave the factory oil in?

For the oil choice, I'm thinking Pennzoil Platinum in the 0W30. But open to other ideas.

Drive it like your gona drive it everyday from now on
I've bought over 50 new vehicles and breaking in a new engine isn't rocket science.
They come from the factory pretty much pre-seasoned to last a long time

Last edited:
I'm guessing it'll have about 250 miles on it when I get it. How long does the period last?

I would avoid holding a set speed for more than 15 min for the first week or so. Also, let it idle for at least 15 seconds after you start it to get oil pressure, and the same before shutting off so the turbo can slow down. But, avoid extensive idling as it's not good for the engine.

Avoid over 3500 rpm, change oil at 2500 miles, you'll be just fine driving it normally.

Mobil 1 AFE comes in a 0w-30. If you can't find it, Pennzoil Ultra is a great oil and a 5w-30 on the thin side of the spectrum.

The ring and pinion breaking in is more important to me. I'm pretty sure that's why the first 300 miles is important. Some cooling down cycles helps the rear gear. So really your breaking in all the drive train together for the first 300miles.
I change the rear gear oil between 500-1000'ish miles.

Last edited:
Engines have no choice but to break in, just drive it . No voo doo needed

What is the MS-13340 spec? Looks like that and 0W30 are the only things it needs. Figure I'll stick with stuff that meets that spec while it's under warranty.

You can put load on the engine without bringing rpms high and that is ideal IMO. Engines today don't require an elaborate break-in. The main thing you want to avoid which is the common denominator you read about is sustained RPMs and sustained high rpms. Keep the engine rpms moving around between 2-4k and you're good. You can give it WOT too as long as you let it cool down. My . 02

Sounds good!

Having a super hard time finding 0W30 oil that meets Mopar MS13340. Any ideas on that? I know someone mentioned Pennzoil Platinum meets MS13340. Doesn't come in 0W30, 5W30 would be the next closest thing. That's what Jeep specs for the bigger 2.0L turbo.

Check the owners manual to see if they allow any other grades based on climate areas. They may allow a 5w30 or 0w20 also.

I was just recently considering this topic after we picked up a 2019 Renegade Trailhawk, but with the 2.0 Diesel engine. This is what our manual says: "We recommend that during the initial period, or during the first 1,600 KM (1000 miles), you do not drive the car to full performance (e.g. excessive acceleration, long journeys at top speed, sharp braking, etc)."

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JoelB
Check the owners manual to see if they allow any other grades based on climate areas. They may allow a 5w30 or 0w20 also.

It just says 0W30 for all climates.

Originally Posted by Jeffrey
I was just recently considering this topic after we picked up a 2019 Renegade Trailhawk, but with the 2.0 Diesel engine. This is what our manual says: "We recommend that during the initial period, or during the first 1,600 KM (1000 miles), you do not drive the car to full performance (e.g. excessive acceleration, long journeys at top speed, sharp braking, etc)."

Awesome, what color/options did you get? I got sting gray with leather, cold climate, passive entry/remote start and the panoramic sunroof.

Originally Posted by HoosierJeeper
Sounds good!

Having a super hard time finding 0W30 oil that meets Mopar MS13340. Any ideas on that? I know someone mentioned Pennzoil Platinum meets MS13340. Doesn't come in 0W30, 5W30 would be the next closest thing. That's what Jeep specs for the bigger 2.0L turbo.

You'll be fine with PUP5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back