"New" Raw Water Pump From Amazon

Needed a pump for our old inboard and found a Jabsco on Amazon. These aren't cheap, nor should they be. It was advertised as new, seller looked legit (has a physical presence, other than Amazon) and the price was at the lower end of reasonable but certainly not bargain basement. I generally avoid the lowest priced of any item on Amazon for a few reasons.

The pump arrives and looks fine and as described. Then I notice the enclosed literature refenced ITT Corp. Jabsco was sold by ITT ~10 years ago, at least. So I reach out to the seller who indicates that the pump is "...new, no way that old..". So, having a healthy paranoia and being safe with a critical item, I open the pump. Sure enough, the impeller had taken a set, the vanes were cracked, the lubricant had aged to a beeswax like consistency and had actually stained the bronze to the point where even a wash with solvent still left a small stain.

"New", my %$$.

This pump sat for 10 years minimum. Reach out to the seller and I get the same; "...mistakes", "new and recent...". He indicated that he would reach out to the manufacturer and get back to me. Total radio silence....

I rebuilt the pump with a Jabsco kit and wound up having spent just a bit less than if I had gone to West Marine or one of the local suppliers. Thought I knew better but another lesson learned.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I buy a lot on Amazon. Nearly always, whenever available, with Prime just for this reason. Easy returns and instant credit back.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mightymousetech
Complain to Amazon, not the seller. You will get refunded ASAP. That is one good thing about Amazon.

I do this every time I have a problem
banana2.gif

Hi all, thanks. I left he review, but once I opened the pump I figured I'd just rebuild it anyway as I wanted to learn how. I've returned a few things, but my curiosity got me this time.

Thats why I avoid Amazon for stuff like this, i always want to inspect before purchasing.

Ahh that sucks.

You do occasionally loose going the mail-order route.

It's just so darn handy and cost effective, it's worth the risk IMO.

Last edited:
I just had my first ever complaint to amazon on a 13 dollar battery operated fan that didn't work. They want the dam thing returned for my 13 bucks back. So I had to go find a box being I already threw the one it came in away and return the thing to get my refund. I would think they should have just sent me a working replacement. Definitely a hassle for sure.

Back