New plugs better low end torque?

I've just changed my plugs and the old ones where pretty bad, the gap was way out of spec. The car is a manual and before changing the plugs it was very easy to stall. If anybody else drove the car they'd stall it straight away, I've gotten used to it and know exactly how much gas to give it.etc

Anyway now ive changed the plugs it seems to have so much more torque down at low RPM's. I can start rolling just on the clutch which before was close to impossible. Also I can crawl along in 2nd and 3rd now where before I'd have to shift in to 1st otherwise it would start jerking and cut out. Also there is less vibration at idle, I thought my motor mounts where bad but now it is a smooth as silk!

Can a simple plug change make a difference to torque at low rpm's? Its definitely not a placebo!

Yea id say so, a bigger gaped plug would take a longer time for a spark to jump because of the increased ohm and cause slightly delayed combustion event. that not scientific that just my understanding of it.

When I first bought my Tahoe, it had an old set of ACDelco platinum plugs in it with what looked like the OEM ACDelco plug wires. It drove fine though. I replaced the plugs with NGK iridiums and new Taylor 8.2mm wires, and it made a noticeable difference in engine response and starting.

Originally Posted by paqza
Not a placebo - plugs are critically important.

Only if they are worn, primarily what you get from platinum group metals is longer life.

Originally Posted by Lewis
I've just changed my plugs and the old ones where pretty bad, the gap was way out of spec. The car is a manual and before changing the plugs it was very easy to stall. If anybody else drove the car they'd stall it straight away, I've gotten used to it and know exactly how much gas to give it.etc

Anyway now ive changed the plugs it seems to have so much more torque down at low RPM's. I can start rolling just on the clutch which before was close to impossible. Also I can crawl along in 2nd and 3rd now where before I'd have to shift in to 1st otherwise it would start jerking and cut out. Also there is less vibration at idle, I thought my motor mounts where bad but now it is a smooth as silk!

Can a simple plug change make a difference to torque at low rpm's? Its definitely not a placebo!

It takes a lot more energy to fire a plug with a widened gap and a worn, rounded off electrode versus a flat, sharp edged one..

Last edited:
Originally Posted by antonmnster
Once upon a time a plug change gave me a 35% improvement in city mpg.

Your catalytic converter must have been ablaze.

Originally Posted by antonmnster
Once upon a time a plug change gave me a 35% improvement in city mpg.

You can get good money from the EPA should you decide to patent it.

Under normal circumstances, a new set of plugs would not make that much of a difference. But yours were very worn and way out of spec, so yes you can expect a noticeable improvement with new plugs. I bet you won't let them go so long next time
laugh.gif

Back