New Pipeline From Canada To The US Gulf Coast?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bruno
P_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

O_

T_ _

U_ _ _ _ _ _ S_ _ _ _ _ _

I understand the Acronym, its the politics's part I don't understand...

I think we had better just leave it at that..
28.gif

You could be right...

Julia Dullard now wants o sell our Uranium to India, one of the countries in the region who is a non signatory to the NPT...guess which one IS ?

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Looks like 20,000 wont be getting jobs...at least not until 2013...
I thought this decision would have been a "no-brainer"
crazy2.gif

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-11-10...e-decision.html

Canada now looks to China:
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/canadian-pm-eyes-china-us-pipeline-delay-232757594.html

Yesterday, TransCanada made a major concession regarding environmental concerns about the pipeline route:

TransCanada to Change Keystone XL Route Through Nebraska

Keystone XL Pipeline Back On Track With Nebraska Legislation On New Route

We'll soon see if this change has any effect on the earlier decision to postpone the project.

Originally Posted By: LTVibe
Another update and possible roadblock:

TransCanada: Oil Sands Exports Will Go To Asia If Blocked In US

Quote:
...the $12 billion project has come under fire by environmentalists and some U.S. Democratic lawmakers who object to the higher greenhouse-gas emissions and ecological damage caused by oil-sands development...

Robert Jones, a TransCanada executive in charge of the Keystone project, said during a conference call Tuesday that the fate of the Keystone expansion will have "no impact on oil sands production," because if the U.S. blocks the flow of more oil sands south, it will just go overseas through one of the pipelines proposed to bring oil to China and other Asian markets.

How, exactly, would an oil pipeline be routed to deliver oil to China? How much would a 36 inch pipeline to China cost? Would it be under the surface of the ocean?

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Pipe would naturally be to a port.

That being the case, why wouldn't they transfer the oil by tanker to the US, instead of a longer trip to China? How many billion dollars would this save over the cost of the controversial pipeline?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 1999nick

That being the case, why wouldn't they transfer the oil by tanker to the US, instead of a longer trip to China? How many billion dollars would this save over the cost of the controversial pipeline?

They would first have to build the pipeline to the pacific coast of British Columbia, and blast through the Rocky Mountains.
crazy2.gif
Then tanker the oil to China (or the US.) Likely cost more to do this than just build the pipeline to Texas.

A desision was promissed by the end of this year, but this delay is pure politics, but I don't think its smart politics. The Environmentalists are against it for a variety of reasons, and have threatened to not support president OB. That begs the question: Who are they going to support??

Unions and business are all in favor, and how often do you see that. 20,000 new jobs and Trans Canada Pipeline is footing the whole bill for this project. If I were President (God Forbid...!
lol.gif
) I would say. "Lets get to work!"

In spite of the administration's recent decision, it looks like a major part of the pipeline will soon be under construction:

TransCanada pushes ahead on Keystone segment

Quote:
TransCanada Corp. could begin construction of a vital segment of its Keystone XL oil pipeline before U.S. regulators have signed off on the project as a whole.

Executives at the company told an investor conference in Toronto Wednesday that the section of pipeline between the energy hub of Cushing, Okla. and the U.S. Gulf Coast could be prioritized, to alleviate a supply glut.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream

They would first have to build the pipeline to the pacific coast of British Columbia, and blast through the Rocky Mountains.
crazy2.gif

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-inv...article2213590/

This pipeline (TransMountain) from Alberta to the port of Vancouver already exists. The expansion plans are to "twin" it to increase the current oil carrying capacity.

"Oil flowing through the Trans Mountain system currently fills three or four tankers per month. A year ago, 90 per cent of those went to California, and the rest to Asia. Today, about 25 per cent are sailing for Asia, Mr. Anderson said."

I sense a trend developing.

Last edited:
Quote:
This pipeline (TransMountain) from Alberta to the port of Vancouver already exists. The expansion plans are to "twin" it to increase the current oil carrying capacity.

I thought that Enbridge also is planning a new pipeline across to Prince Rupert (the Gateway). But everything I have heard is that this is going to be a legislative nightmare too because of all the first nations lands along that route.

As far as shipping to the gulf - its' simply not cost effective. A pipeline is much more viable in the long term. Until this gets sorted the US is still going to be relying on other sources for its' oil. What makes no sense to me is that Canada produces millions of barrels of oil that gets shipped many places besides the US and yet the US continues to support oil from other continents instead of making their big friendly neighbour to the north a priority.

Originally Posted By: Solarent

I thought that Enbridge also is planning a new pipeline across to Prince Rupert (the Gateway). But everything I have heard is that this is going to be a legislative nightmare too because of all the first nations lands along that route.

Yep, the twinning of the existing pipeline to Vancouver seems to be a done deal, with no real chance of it being stopped. The plans for a more northerly pipeline has many more hurdles to clear before being built. The rationale for building an entirely new pipeline is that the existing Vancouver port facilities don't have the capability to accept the very largest oil tankers. If the more northerly route is built, these larger tankers would sail to Asia from Kitimat, while the smaller tankers would still use the Vancouver port to keep California supplied.

kitimatmap.jpg

Originally Posted By: 1999nick

Because of the localized glut of Canadian oil sands crude (caused by the current lack of pipelines), oil sands crude is currently being sold for $20-$30 less per barrel than the global market price. Since the biggest supertankers can carry 2,000,000 barrels, this means an extra $40 million to $60 million for each boatload that sails to Asia rather than the U.S.

I'm not sure how much extra bunker fuel is consumed by going the longer distance to Asia, but I have a feeling that an extra $50 million would cover it.

Harper shows doubts about Keystone project, eyes Asia for Canadian oil

Quote:
“I am very serious about selling our oil off this continent, selling our energy products off to Asia. I think we have to do that,” Harper said in the Monday interview with CTV National News with Lisa Laflamme.

“When I was down in the United States recently it was interesting. I ran into several senior Americans who all said, ‘Don’t worry, we’ll get Keystone done. You can sell all of your oil to us.’ I said, ‘Yeah we’d love to,’ but I think the problem is now that we’re on a different track,” Harper said.

We buy a lot of hydroelectric power from Canada, only Obama and his special interest group friends want us to buy less oil. Of course, the special interest green weenies don't mind if we freeze in the dark, "for the environment". After all, "people are BAD for the ecology".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back