New Nissan Titan XD w/5.6l oil choices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prior to 2016 Nissan recommended 5w-30 for the VK56VD 5.6l V8 used in Nissan's and Infinity's.

In 2018 Nissan changed the recommended viscosity to 0w-20SN for all VK56VD 5.6l V8's.

I just purchased a new Titan XD with this engine that will be a long term truck for me.
The use case of this engine in the Titan XD is different than say in the Armada - as it's my work truck that will see towing and heavy pay-load duties, compared to the use of it in the family SUV.

Since this engine is direct injected (possible deposits?) and may generally be tough on oil (a lot of gears and it's camshafts are driven by two chains, one for each head plus the timing chain that transmits the rotational movement from crankshaft to the both intake and exhaust camshafts) I was wondering what folks thoughts would be on the best brand and formula of an API certified (the truck has a 5 year /100k mile warranty) oil to use ?

Last edited:
What about Rotella T6 5w-30? It meets API SN. It is a little thicker and looks like a good fit for a DI engine. I plan on using this on my 2013 Ecoboost

I'd run the 0W-20 while you're under the powertrain warranty then look into a 5W-30 if you want. A used oil analysis would help make that decision. I was looking into this when I was truck shopping before I bought my GMC, I think in 2016 they recommended 0W-20 but said 5W-30 was fine, then in 2017 they removed that wording.

Since it will be worked hard I would opt for 5W-30 over 0W-20. Extra high temp protection at the cost of 0.5 mpg. Pennzoil, Mobil 1, Valvoline, or Castrol synthetic, whichever you can get the cheapest. Also there is the new Rotella Gas Truck oil which may or may not provide extra protection over the regular oils.

I am pretty torn on staying with a 0w-20 or going to a 5w-30.
If I stay with a 0w-20 I was thinking of possibly using Motul 8100 Eco-Lite 0W20 which is a API Service SN - RC / SN Plus / ILSAC GF-5 oil....

Last edited:
The new Valvoline worked wonders on my Nissan QR25DE.

5W30 Synthetic ADVANCED.

Best 5W30 Ive run.

Even to the old-fashoined "add pack lookers" it looks wondrous.

Watch out for those GOHNER Mexican Filters. Some good, some misassembled.
Robots these days! Slackin' off.

I felt an obligation to run 0W20 with mine due to warranty obligations.Very quiet engine.

Originally Posted by ZraHamilton
also Rotella 5W-30 multi vehicle is a good option

Why is that?

I live near the Nissan proving grounds and you will not run your truck harder or at higher tempatures then the beating Nissan put on the 5.6. If Nissan is recommending 0W20 then it is good.

Originally Posted by CT8
Why is that?

At least for a time (and this is probably not current for the OP's model year), the Nissan/Infiniti manuals permitted a 5w-30 in 0w-20 applications. The ILSAC certification was always optional, so something like Rotella T6 5w-30 Multi-Vehicle would have been perfectly suitable. As it stands, the Rotella is the first completely in-spec oil I've used in the G37 for years.

I ran 5w20 in my Ranger (back spec'd) for the first 10 years I owned it. Then I changed to 5w-30. Engine ran smoother and quieter and better fuel economy with the 5w30. I believed in 20w until that experience. I, also, tried 20w in my F150 which was back spec'd and that was a disaster. So now I guess I'm a "thicky"?

After reading the entire warranty discoursers and noting in the not covered section " any failure resulting from... use of improper or contaminated fuels, fluids or lubricants; failure to maintain proper fluid, coolant or lubricant levels; use of inferior or modified parts; modifications of the vehicle beyond the original factory specification, including installation of non-Nissan approved accessories or components...."

Plus this text all in capitals " FAILURE TO PROVIDE SUCH EVIDENCE AND/OR FAILURE TO MAINTIAN THE VECHCLE IN ACCORDANCE WITH YOUR OWNER'S MANUAL MAY DISQUALIFY YOU FROM COVERAGE"

I guess I will be sticking to the 0W-20 SN spec'd oil with Nissan filters. What do forum members think of my original choice of Motul 8100 Eco-Lite 0W20 which is a API Service SN - RC / SN Plus / ILSAC GF-5 oil?

Any other recommendations on a better 0W-20 SN for this application?

Originally Posted by josephp732
After reading the entire warranty discoursers and noting in the not covered section " any failure resulting from... use of improper or contaminated fuels, fluids or lubricants; failure to maintain proper fluid, coolant or lubricant levels; use of inferior or modified parts; modifications of the vehicle beyond the original factory specification, including installation of non-Nissan approved accessories or components...."

Plus this text all in capitals " FAILURE TO PROVIDE SUCH EVIDENCE AND/OR FAILURE TO MAINTIAN THE VECHCLE IN ACCORDANCE WITH YOUR OWNER'S MANUAL MAY DISQUALIFY YOU FROM COVERAGE"

I guess I will be sticking to the 0W-20 SN spec'd oil with Nissan filters. What do forum members think of my original choice of Motul 8100 Eco-Lite 0W20 which is a API Service SN - RC / SN Plus / ILSAC GF-5 oil?

Any other recommendations on a better 0W-20 SN for this application?

I probably wouldn't use Motul motor oils unless I got it for a good price. I've used their brake fluids and gear oils. Very expensive, but I figured I could justify the cost since those aren't changed as often as motor oil.

If you're just using it at the manufacturer's recommended 5k mile change interval, I don't see why any API SN PLUS 0W-20 couldn't be used. If you could find the Havoline Pro DS in the 6 quart box at Walmart, that might be a good choice. Good price, Chevron makes a good product, and you're basically going to be dumping it every 5k miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back