New job time!

You live in Apple Valley. There is a Walmart DC there. Apply to be a trailer mechanic there, seriously. I'm a diesel tech for UPS and explored moving to Cal and working for Walmart. They pay their top truck mechs like 34 an hour and trailer mechanics proabbly do good, too. We have had a few mechanics come from Walmart and from what I hear, Walmart will hire anyone because finding anyone with truck or trailer experience is nearly impossible. Plus they are a light duty shop, not a full service shop that does major repairs. They will probably hire you despite their glorified requirements. Apply and get an interview, seriously.
I work for [removed] and messaged Chris. This wouldn't be a bad idea, definitely worth trying to get an interview at least. Big company, good benefits etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
At most big companies, employees are able to refer a person for certain jobs they are qualified to apply for.

This makes it easier for the hiring manager to find good people for their openings.

Does a move out of CA make sense?
Nevada or Arizona would be my choices for sure if I was coming from CA.

We sort of did this a few years ago. We lived in Austin TX and found out we could make more money and spend much less on expenses in San Antonio, so we moved down.

Day one we made $25k more per year, and had a new house built for about $75k less than Austin suburbs.

We sort of did this a few years ago. We lived in Austin TX and found out we could make more money and spend much less on expenses in San Antonio, so we moved down.

Day one we made $25k more per year, and had a new house built for about $75k less than Austin suburbs.
I agree, my daughter lives in Leander 35 miles north of Austin.

Az is my dream place. But I am not ready to leave my family home

Yes to all of these Chris, this is an opportunity you’re being forced to take advantage of. Latch onto one of big outfits like Swift or Amazon and ride it to the end. Get vested, get a pension. Tack on your social security and you’ll be ok. Move somewhere a bit cheaper and you’ll be surprised how rich you really are.

I have no idea how old you are(none of my business) But a lot of unionized business still allow employees to “pad” their pensions. Meaning your pension is based on your best 3 years out of your last 10. I worked with plenty of guys who knocked out tons of overtime in the last 3. Upwards of 100k a year for driving a bus in and out of Manhattan and then used that for their pension formula. 4-5k pension a month on top of social and investments. Run from that desert muffler shop and latch on with a Walmart or UPS hauling no touch freight. Get vested, pad your pension. What an opportunity!

Last edited:
Reactions: JC1

San Antonio is getting crazy, though. I just visited a friend there who paid over $300K for a 1500sf-ish house and the window sills are particle board, the floors stick-on pseudo wood, and the cabinets are also particle board, as are kitchen drawers. Blew my mind.

San Antonio is getting crazy, though. I just visited a friend there who paid over $300K for a 1500sf-ish house and the window sills are particle board, the floors stick-on pseudo wood, and the cabinets are also particle board, as are kitchen drawers. Blew my mind.

That would be a bargain in the Greater Toronto area.

• Wow
Reactions: Ws6

That's why you don't buy a "Track Home" in a Subdivision, DFW isn't any different......The suburbs are chock full of Subdivisions with shoddy built homes on tiny (Less than 1/4 acre) lots.

I am on 10 acres now. I don't know how well I could handle having neigjbors
Agreed. I like my privacy.
26840981_965698222461_5466330627087421037_o (1).jpg

You live in Apple Valley. There is a Walmart DC there. Apply to be a trailer mechanic there, seriously. I'm a diesel tech for UPS and explored moving to Cal and working for Walmart. They pay their top truck mechs like 34 an hour and trailer mechanics proabbly do good, too. We have had a few mechanics come from Walmart and from what I hear, Walmart will hire anyone because finding anyone with truck or trailer experience is nearly impossible. Plus they are a light duty shop, not a full service shop that does major repairs. They will probably hire you despite their glorified requirements. Apply and get an interview, seriously.
I applied for a couple of jobs at the distribution center. Then took an online test. The questions asked about others not wearing safety equipment and matching numbers. Said I failed and to try again in a month. No idea what I did wrong there.

That's why you don't buy a "Track Home" in a Subdivision, DFW isn't any different......The suburbs are chock full of Subdivisions with shoddy built homes on tiny (Less than 1/4 acre) lots.
I agree.... but what do you expect very only $300K ?

$300K is little money for a new detached house so expect cookie cutter build quality.

I agree.... but what do you expect very only $300K ?

$300K is little money for a new detached house so expect cookie cutter build quality.

I find that insane. My house probably cost about 150k to build. 1600sf. Everything is solid oak, the piping is copper line, the windows are double pane with metal latches (not plastic like his), and there isnt any particleboard anywhere unless you want to count the engineered floor joists or OSB siding.

I find that insane. My house probably cost about 150k to build. 1600sf. Everything is solid oak, the piping is copper line, the windows are double pane with metal latches (not plastic like his), and there isnt any particleboard anywhere unless you want to count the engineered floor joists or OSB siding.
If you think about it, that's a pretty low price. That works out to $93.75 a square foot. Around here it's more like $250 a square foot for new construction. Cost of labor must be very low in your area.

Like everything else, the cost of housing varies widely by location and time. Cost of land, cost to develop land, labor costs, material costs and requirements, etc... all vary widely by location. Time becomes a factor in all of this too as material costs change. Anyone priced out lumber lately?

Chris142,

USAjobs.gov has tons of jobs.

The hiring process is kind of slow but well worth the wait.

Back