New job time!

So many questions. Why all the animosity from customers? Callbacks on work or communication issues? That crane company might offer some necessary time off. Who would be doing the radiator repair if you bought the business.
The latest bunch of customers are trashy. They see a price online that is less than our cost and expect us to match it. One lady made a scene because we made a profit on her.

Not all are terrible.

If you have a CDL there is no reason why you shouldn't be making 6 figures with full benefits. The amount earned is going to depend solely on how often you need to be home. Be an owner/operator and make milk runs out of L.A. to SLC for Amazon. There and back, there and back, weekend at home.

So many questions. Why all the animosity from customers? Callbacks on work or communication issues? That crane company might offer some necessary time off. Who would be doing the radiator repair if you bought the business.
The biggest problem is something else breaking after the job. Say I do an AC repair and it cost the customer $1200.

3 weeks later a blend door in the dash fails. The Air out the vents is now hot. But the ac under the hood is still working well. They cant understand,all they know is that the ac no longer works.

They do not understand that it is unrelated to the first repair. Now it is another $800+ parts to fix that problem.

Now how far do we go? Do we do all 5 blend door actuators while it is apart? Or just the 1 bad one? How about the heater core? You know it will start leaking soon for no reason.

We have 86'd all Mercedes vehicles. Those customers do not understand failures at all and are the first to lawyer up.

Chris, I think the crane company thing could be good, at least worth a shot. Commercial counter at parts stores can be a good thing and is something I'm keeping in mind if my ship starts sinking, but I'd definitely go for the crane company first.

Taking abuse from customers is part of working in this industry. People don't think "this guy does this everyday, he might know what he's talking about," instead it's "you want to take my money, and I'm going to argue in circles with you unless you give me the exact answer I want." I can point at notes in the GM catalog all day, that are from the horse's mouth, and people will still argue with me that it isn't so. I wish GM would offer a novelty PCV valve for all of their vehicles where it is a part of the valve cover.

Over the counter retail would be my last choice if nothing else worked out. The crane job sounds like it might be an easy transition and you sound interested but only you know the details. You've sounded burned out at your current job for some time, sounds like a good time for a change. You might be able to work something out with your boss financially but do you really want to?

He ownes the building. Has the busisness for sale only. Not the building. We are the only shop around that does Radiator repairs. A lost art but still plenty of it coming in. My boss does the radiator repairs himself

I am the AC guy as well as general repair,grunt etc.

He put it up for $210k,then dropped to $190k and now is down to $80k. The new owner would be renting from him.

Oct 31 will be our last day if nobody buys it by then.

Our slow season starts in October. We are lucky to see 1 car a week from october to april. I do not think that buying a busisness right at the beginning of the slow season will work.

Did you actually look at the books? Sounds like he's valuing the business too much. Basically there's two components, the value of the inventory that comes with the business and the income that it makes. What's the net profit after employees are paid? I'd say most privately owned business are worth 1-3x profit. Probably closer to 1x at the lower end like 80k. If he's not even making 80k, the business is probably worthless, it's just a job. Typically the way you'd buy something like this is to do something like put 20% down and get a loan for the rest. The income from the business should be able to pay it off in a few years. You also make the owner stick around for 3-5 years and you can also get the seller to do owner financing for the down payment or whatever you end up negotiating.

Reactions: GON
AutoZone is a lot of standing on your feet all day long. If you aren't used to it.. it can be tough.

Just something to consider. I'd want a job where my body position would vary throughout the day so that my feet could get some rest.

But on the plus side, working in retail means you're going to be in air conditioned goodness. Can't say that about doing repairs in a shop.

If you have a CDL there is no reason why you shouldn't be making 6 figures with full benefits. The amount earned is going to depend solely on how often you need to be home. Be an owner/operator and make milk runs out of L.A. to SLC for Amazon. There and back, there and back, weekend at home.
Just curious, how do you owner operate and get full benefits? I thought owner op semi paid all their own costs in exchange for like 4x the mileage rate as company hired.

AutoZone is a lot of standing on your feet all day long. If you aren't used to it.. it can be tough.

Just something to consider. I'd want a job where my body position would vary throughout the day so that my feet could get some rest.

But on the plus side, working in retail means you're going to be in air conditioned goodness. Can't say that about doing repairs in a shop.
He's probably talking about the commercial counter, the guy retail customers don't usually deal with who sells to shops. Depending on proximity to shops/commercial sales, this can be a very well paid position, though you will be glued to the phone for much of the day, even with online sales making up the bulk. I know a couple guys who have made a good living from a chain store commercial counter, and as a dealer parts guy it's something I keep in the cards.

Just curious, how do you owner operate and get full benefits? I thought owner op semi paid all their own costs in exchange for like 4x the mileage rate as company hired.
You are right. O/O foots all his own bills. Driving for someone else gets you the benefits but less potential money and being stranded across the country without being paid. trade-offs.

The crane idea sounds like fun.

Just throwing this out there- Have you thought about completely moving out of the area and trying somewhere new. Now could be the best time for a fresh start.......

Knowing where you live and remembering a lot of your posts, I'll also give the advice that you should at least think about moving to another state.
At the very least, take a couple weeks off to give yourself a little break.

Knowing where you live and remembering a lot of your posts, I'll also give the advice that you should at least think about moving to another state.
At the very least, take a couple weeks off to give yourself a little break.
I would like to move to Az someday. Can' t right now as we are still working on the house and it wont get full value until things are done.

Now might not be the time to move--but it certainly sounds like it. Maybe take whatever job you can get, to pay the bills, then make a clean break.

Not sure I'd rack up the credit card so as to finish your house but... I know I'd be tempted. At the same time, maybe talk to a realtor first. Who knows? With the stampede out of the cities, maybe someone would give you good money without you having to spend anything. A realtor might also help steer any projects--maybe you do need the paint but not the patio, that sort of guidance, since a realtor should know what shoppers want.

When a business is priced right it will sell. AC repairs with all the different refrigerants takes quite a bit of equipment. This equipment is in demand, if good quality in good condition then has value.

do you know how to repair radiators

Equipment to do radiators is expensive new, worth very little used. Hopefully the chemicals used are EPA friendly. Maybe you should buy, and where ever you go to work maybe they will ant to add it as a side line or you can run in your garage as sideline.

Rod

I would like to move to Az someday. Can' t right now as we are still working on the house and it wont get full value until things are done.

Water, air and advice are free with the understanding you are under no obligation to take it, so....

What is your age bracket and what is your desired gross income you feel is adequate to support your family at its current lifestyle?

Then what are you willing/capable to do ( effort and education wise) to achieve or maintain that?

How much time before you are at the absolute decision point?

What level of risk can you accept?

You brought it up so there needs to be some background to offer relevant advice that you might profit by considering.

An option ( or decision on career choice) is only "good" when its made on a level field and all things considered.

Back