New Hemi owner, new oil decisions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased a new 2020 vehicle with the 5.7 Hemi. I drive around 2500 miles per month so 10k miles in 4 months or so. I read the owners manual and it appears you're allowed to go 10k OCI on these providing its within a years time.

Anyone who has a newer Hemi do 7500 - 10000 mile OCI and have any UOA data? I saw a few Hemi UOA's from search but they all seemed older (I'm guessing after 2011 would apply the same though?).

My plan is PUP 5w-20 (meets the Chrysler spec) and a Fram Ultra filter. I'm thinking 7500 mile OCIs but I'm not opposed to 10k if the data is there. I don't mind doing my own UOA's either once the engine has had at least a few oil changes.

Sure is nice buying a new vehicle with port injection, cast iron block, good ol' American V8!

Valvoline Modern Engine 5W-20 per OLM. Happy Hemi!
smile.gif
Doing 24k miles a year.

Fram Ultra here.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
I use M1 EP changed per the OLM in my 5.7L.

EP doesn't have the Chrysler spec or I would run it..

Originally Posted by jdavis

The verbiage in the manual seems "suggestive" of having the spec, so I've decided to run it anyways. I understand that's not a risk everybody is willing to take however. Mobil refuses to pursue the FCA approvals due to the SOPUS fiasco.

The verbiage in the manual seems "suggestive" of having the spec, so I've decided to run it anyways. I understand that's not a risk everybody is willing to take however. Mobil refuses to pursue the FCA approvals due to the SOPUS fiasco.

Some of the lower end Mobil synthetics have the spec just not their higher end stuff, go figure

Some of the lower end Mobil synthetics have the spec just not their higher end stuff, go figure

Yup, nothing in the Mobil 1 product line has had an FCA approval since the FIAT acquisition and displacement of Mobil as the supplier for Chrysler/Jeep/RAM.

Suggest going by the OLM as suggested by a few here. I would change it between 5 and 15% life remaining. PP is easier to obtain in the great white north, but if PUP 5W-20 is available at the right price, a good choice.

2019 Hemi. I run Rotella GT 5w20 and Wix XP. I do about 5k mile changes because i only put on about 12k a year. Otherwise i would do 7500 miles.

a few months ago I got one of the 'turtle' Journey's with the 2.4 (not a speed demon & works a bit hard to get up to highway speed); a few responses suggested that running a high quality synblend (chrysler spec'd) for up to a 7000 mile oci (with a proper filter) is fine...due to the mopar filters being purolator (tear-a-lot*) I am sticking with 4500-5000 mile oci's for the 'free' oil changes I got with the vehicle (dealer uses pennzoil synblend); with your hemi a high quality synblend for 5000 miles or full syn for 7500 miles would be a great choice

* bitog censored the more common nickname we use

Last edited:
My FCA vehicles seem(ed) to love Valvoline full syn products and/or WM Super Tech at 5k OCI's...JM2C. However, if you are driving mostly highway miles in that time period, PUP or any quality oil should do the trick at the OCI's you suggest.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kmrcstintn

* bitog censored the more common nickname we use

Last edited by kmrcstintn; 02/05/20 10:16 PM. Reason: [censored] was censored

That's is absolutely hilarious..... Was Helen getting Death Threats from MANN/Hummel??
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

I am currently running Quaker State Ultimate Durabilty synthetic 5W/30 in my Ram Limited with the Hemi. Before that it was Mobil 1 5w/30. You will do well with any good synthetic. I prefer 5w/30 over the 5w/20's but that's a personal preference.

Originally Posted by nwjones18
I'm running QSUD 5w-20 with no complaints. I'm sticking with 5w-20 until I'm out of warranty, then I may play with 5w-30.

Not worried about the MDS?

Originally Posted by Jeepjeepster
I'm running QSUD 5w-20 with no complaints. I'm sticking with 5w-20 until I'm out of warranty, then I may play with 5w-30.

The 5.7 and 6.4 use the same lifters and MDS solenoids. 6.4 calls for 0w40.

Originally Posted by Jeepjeepster

Honestly I may just stick with the 5w-20. I've read of a enough people running 5w-30 with no problems to think its fine.

I'm running the "new" Schaeffers 0W-40. Seems to run very well, very quiet (no cold "Hemi Tick" for the most part) and still get very good MPG when I'm not dropping the hammer too much on my 6.4l 2018 T/A with 9k. I do 5k OCI's just because I don't put a lot of miles on it. It stays in the barn pretty much from Thanksgiving until April Fools day (well, if it's clear and the roads are dry I try and get it out once every month just to keep it moving). Previous to that I ran M1 without issue and both with the Baldwin B329 filter. If I did UOA's I'd post the data but I'm just old school and "dance with the one that brung me"!lol! I figure since I've gotten more than a few cars/trucks to over 300k without any real issues I don't need a lab to tell me I'm doing things right!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back