new Dodge Journey 2.4L...oil usage during break-in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
got a leftover '18 Dodge Journey with 2.4L 4-banger; can I expect oil usage during break-in? if yes...how much? think my '15 Jeep Patriot 2.4L mighta used 200-300mL during the first 1000-1500 miles without notable usage thru the 32K miles I had it...

I read something interesting in my wife's 2017 Ford Escape Ecoboost 2.0 owners manual- "oil usage is to be expected during break-in, and will stabilize after 3100 miles / 5000 km.". It never says how much. In practice this particular engine uses maybe 100-200 ml following the OLM which is typically 8000-8500 miles.

Oil consumption varies from engine to engine during break-in, so I'm not exactly sure how much it could consume. I would expect the same consumption as you mentioned with your Jeep.

Change out the break-in oil at 1500 miles to drain out all the break-in metals, and then go 3500 miles with just conventional to further remove those metals. I'd hate to use break-in oil for 5000 miles.

How does conventional removes more metals? Just curious, never heard of that one before! Doesn't filter remove the metals?

I guess I've heard some say use dino after an engine rebuilt ... but thought that was old wives tale.

Last edited:
Use factory fill oil and don't worry about it. My 18 Grand Caravan dropped a quart around 4500 then I went with synthetic blend then next oil change synthetic. Hasn't lost any oil since.

Same engine at the Patriot I think so it should wear the same if all else equal.

That engine has its work cut out for it with minimum laden weight of ~4000 lbs to pull.

Enjoy . I like the Avenger platform. Enjoyable drive.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Same engine at the Patriot I think so it should wear the same if all else equal.

That engine has its work cut out for it with minimum laden weight of ~4000 lbs to pull.

Enjoy . I like the Avenger platform. Enjoyable drive.

interesting is that the older 4-speed mopar auto trans in the journey seems to work better than the 6-speed hyundai/kia trans in the patriot...

Originally Posted by KevD47
Think he's suggesting using cheap (dino) oil due to short interval of 3500 miles

thumbsup2.gif

That would make sense!

I see some syn cheaper or same price as some dino so I was thinking along the lines of dino having better properties for break-in as oppose to the price! lol
btw, I've heard or read that dino is better for break-in ... not necessarily for removing more metals but in general. Not sure if that's true either since I assume most new cars come with syn!

That is why. Also, cheap synthetic can last 7500 miles, so it's wasteful for break-in if you're gonna change it way sooner than that lol.

Chrysler recommends running until OLM which is 10k although I never get that in a year. I got a 18 Grand Caravan with 3500 on it a year ago and now it has 10500 on it. As I stated I changed oil at 4500 cause I didn't know how much of that was idling since it was a dealer customer rental for warranty. I then changed 5000 miles later. It was a quart down at 4500 but not low 5000 miles later.

Originally Posted by kmrcstintn
got a leftover '18 Dodge Journey with 2.4L 4-banger; can I expect oil usage during break-in? if yes...how much? think my '15 Jeep Patriot 2.4L mighta used 200-300mL during the first 1000-1500 miles without notable usage thru the 32K miles I had it...

My z06 used half a quart in 500mi and then stopped (ls7 engine) also sorted the pipes bad. That also stopped. My cx5 turbo did neither. Ymmv, but I'd not be surprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back