new car- wax, sealant, or ceramic

good morning!

I am about to get a new Acura RDX. I am pretty particular about detailing my cars. OK, should I use the best wax, sealant, or ceramic coating. The price of ceramic coating around me is pretty high, $800 and up to $4,000. I have a 3 year lease, but if I like the car I may buy it at 3 years. I have heard that ceramic coatings really DO last a long time. Live in Massachusetts, salt and snow in the winter.

open to any suggestions!

best regards,
Bob

Are you doing it yourself? I think it would depend of the effort you plan to put into it during the year. I like to put at least a 4 waxes to the car in a year keep my car clean.... :)

For example, my Equinox just got waxed with Meg’s ceramic, and topped with Duragloss Aquawax. Looks great! I’d the Ceramic holds up to my liking , I might just wax it a few times a year and keep touching it up with the Aquawax.

I am sure you will get a bunch of ideas!

To me, the trend seems to be drifting away from coatings and towards ceramic. The new products are easy to apply and give great shine and durability.

Which color will your new RDX be?

red pearl. Daves87: did you do the ceramic and aqua wax yourself or have it done/? if so, was it hard to do? bob

it's personal preference, really.

Our Atlas is coated, my Touareg gets waxed. The Atlas stays cleaner longer and is easier to wash.

The Touareg, being black, looks its best with a fresh coat of Natty's. I also enjoy the process.

With a new car, prep work should be minimal. If you have patience and the ability to carefully follow instructions, there is no reason you could not apply a full coating yourself.

I would skip the spray-on stuff as your primary LSP. For the time and money, I would install a proper coating and use the spray stuff as a monthly topper.

If you're going to keep the car, ceramic is good. Use Purple Power Vehicle and Boat Wash with each wash, or really decontamination of your car. It breaks down the road film. Then use a good spray wax afterwards like Meg Ultimate Fast Finish or Turtle Wax Ice. You car will always be 100% decontaminated and 100% waxed. Just make absolutely sure any and all paint corrections are done prior to the ceramic coat.

If you're going to keep the car, ceramic is good. Use Purple Power Vehicle and Boat Wash with each wash, or really decontamination of your car. It breaks down the road film. Then use a good spray wax afterwards like Meg Ultimate Fast Finish or Turtle Wax Ice. You car will always be 100% decontaminated and 100% waxed. Just make absolutely sure any and all paint corrections are done prior to the ceramic coat.
I wouldn't do this at all.

Ceramic coat the car, wash it when it's dirty, and use the coating's topper product from time to time.

I tried two of the new Meguiar's ceramic products over the past year and will be going back to Power Lock. I did all the proper prep, and applied the product as per mfg. recommendations. Application was fast the end result was OK, durability and longevity was no very impressive. I'll spend an extra few minutes and use Jescar Power Lock which for me lasts at least twice as long maybe more.

The Meguair's spray on and rinse off Hybrid Ceramic wax is a great way to sell product. You use a lot compared to traditional products and it doesn't last very long, great from a sales standpoint.

I tried two of the new Meguiar's ceramic products over the past year and will be going back to Power Lock. I did all the proper prep, and applied the product as per mfg. recommendations. Application was fast the end result was OK, durability and longevity was no very impressive. I'll spend an extra few minutes and use Jescar Power Lock which for me lasts at least twice as long maybe more.

The Meguair's spray on and rinse off Hybrid Ceramic wax is a great way to sell product. You use a lot compared to traditional products and it doesn't last very long, great from a sales standpoint.
Yeah I’m not impressed with the Meguiars hybrid ceramic wax. Turtle wax shine n seal lasted much longer and held up better.

Yeah I’m not impressed with the Meguiars hybrid ceramic wax. Turtle wax shine n seal lasted much longer and held up better.
I read some good reviews on it. I'm tempted to try it, but the Power Lock is so much better than the Meguiar's products I'm afraid to waste time experimenting with anymore of those "ceramic" products. Flame suit on.

I read some good reviews on it. I'm tempted to try it, but the Power Lock is so much better than the Meguiar's products I'm afraid to waste time experimenting with anymore of those "ceramic" products. Flame suit on.

Jescar has a ceramic now.

Jescar has a ceramic now.

Interesting, thanks. I'll probably pass. As I get older I'm still finding that going against my better judgement doesn't pay. LOL I gave the ceramic coatings a shot, I think they need a bit more time to evolve.

Interesting, thanks. I'll probably pass. As I get older I'm still finding that going against my better judgement doesn't pay. LOL I gave the ceramic coatings a shot, I think they need a bit more time to evolve.
You haven't given a coating a shot. You've given "SiO2-infused spray sealants" a shot.

You haven't given a coating a shot. You've given "SiO2-infused spray sealants" a shot.
True. But but I'll be sticking with Power Lock. I've done well for decades maintaining the paint on my vehicles. While I pondered going with a true"ceramic coating" after using the products I mentioned, I don't see much upside. With regard to the SiO2-infused spray sealants, I must confess I bought into the Bitog hype. It happens...........

I used Optimum Gloss Coat, which is the "prosumer" version of their dealer-only Ceramic coating. I'm 100% pleased with it. I did it when my car was new, roughly a year and 15K miles ago.

There are still no visible swirls on the paint a year later, parked outside in the rain a lot, and washed a lot. I wash the car with a rinseless wash (Optimum No Rinse) using just one bucket, and use Optiseal as a drying aid (yes, I'm an Optimum ad...).

One very strong recommendation: ask the dealer to NOT detail your car. My car was swirl-free when I got it, so I didn't have to polish it at all prior to doing the coating. I just washed and cleaned with paint prep and went to work.

Doing the Gloss Coat was pretty easy. I had a couple of high spots that I missed, but you can remove them and re-do with a light polish. My guess is that I'll get about 2-3 years out of the coating with my usage--would by longer if it were garages more often...

Back