New C8-R Vettes at Rolex 24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by kstanf150
Originally Posted by A_Harman
I was worried about the health of IMSA when I saw that only 38 cars took the start to the 24-hour. 60+ cars is normal.
I was happy to see the KonicaMinolta Cadillac DPi take the win running a thundering GM V8.

The C8R was disappointing in its debut, and I can't understand why GM would put a DOHC 5.5L engine in the car with only 500 HP. The stock pushrod V8 makes 495, so why would GM go to the trouble of installing a larger, heavier engine with the same power? If GM wanted to show how good a sports car the C8 is, why not keep the stock engine, then do the suspension and aero mods to make it a GT-LM race car?
The C7R has been running a 5.5L pushrod engine for a few years, and was easily capable of more than 500 HP. IMSA's restrictor was holding it back. Race-tuned 2-valve pushrod V8's can easily make 2 HP/cubic inch.
GM is supposedly working on the 5.5L DOHC for the next Z06, and is predicted to make 600 HP in the production car. I would guess more like 650, otherwise, why bother? The C7 Z06 had 650 HP, any less is going backwards.
It just seems to me that Corvette Racing wasn't trying to win the first time out with the C8R, and I can't fathom why.

Unless the rules have changed
IMSA dictates max HP
I believe 500hp is the max

Yep.... BoP rules in full effect. The Cadillac guys cried until it leaned in their favor again, thats why they were able to dominate like they did... watch the Sebring race, bet it changes!

Originally Posted by kstanf150
Whatever you believe
But the future with the Kyle Busch types is failing fast
So balls in your fan base court
My OLD TIMERS era of time was very successful times for NASCAR
So you young era guys better pick it up
Seats are Empty !!!!

Back in my day
The seats in Daytona
Atlanta
Charlotte
Darlington
Rockingham
North Wilksboro
Martinsville
Tallegage
Bristol

Were packed
Waiting list were years ahead in advance

So you tell me which era is working out ?🤔
Modern times are not doing so well !

Ahh yes, back when the cars used actual bodywork from production vehicles.
Used engines from actual production vehicles..........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back