Neglected Prius - Kreen or not Kreen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Prius was/is driven by a kid and he hasn't taken care of it. Around 150K it started losing some oil. Kid let the oil ran low a couple of times (Twice the red triangle lit up briefly when at the bottom of a steep hill briefly, so the oil was sloshing around just enough to not reach the pickup, presumably, for a few seconds). Told him to top it back up after it happened, both times. The bottom of dip stick has varnish marks on it. It's now 180K.

I just did an oil change and the oil came out very dark; it's been baking in there for too long. I did an oil change and put in Penzoil Platinum High Mileage Synthetic 5w-30 & an OEM Toyota filter. As this was before I came to this forum, I used Seafoam in the crankcase at slightly higher than the recommended rate. With 4.2 qt volume there are about ~6-7 oz in there. It's been running for about 338 miles. I was hoping it would clean up whatever sludge/vanish has developed.

But now I know that Kreen would have been a better choice for what I was intending. Two questions: Do you recommend I do an oil/filter change now or later? And should I just stick with the detergent in the synthetic oil? Or should I use synthetic with Kreen for the next OCI?

Thanks for your recommendation.

Last edited:
Monitor what happens from today forward. I would just use the synthetic of your choice for a 5K OCI and then reevaluate. Since you put Seafoam in the crankcase it may behoove you to do any oil change soon the last thing you need is sludge dislodging and starving the engine of oil.

Stay with synthetic. 3K OCIs next couple times. Let the engine clean more slowly. Then re-evaluate before extending to 5K.

Last edited:
Although my car went through mobil1 Hm like there was a hole in the block, it removed a varnish spot on the dipstick that had been there for yrs.

Q: Besides Seafoam, Kreen and Berryman's product (I'd need to be informed as to which), what other solvents are used for a piston soak?

NOTE: This is a completely legit, straight question.

Swap the oil now and use a name brand synthetic oil and filter from here on out. High mileage flavor if you feel like it.

Originally Posted by Kira
Q: Besides Seafoam, Kreen and Berryman's product (I'd need to be informed as to which), what other solvents are used for a piston soak?

I just did a piston soak on my altima with kreen. It blew some pretty nasty crap out of the engine. I let it set a full 24hrs and don't believe it did anything, but then again my car was screwed up on the assembly line and not something I did when I bought it new. I did notice that the oil stayed cleaner for the first 700 miles than it did before. I sacrificed a cheap set of plugs fwiw. They say you don't have to but when I pulled the new autolites out after 700 miles they were just plain nasty.
I did the kreen purge with new plugs (my ngks) were $20 a plug, changed the oil, ran the car 700 miles and changed the plugs and oil again. My son checked the oil after he got back to school and it used some oil...surprise surprise. If your car started using oil at some point I think kreen will help you. Unfortunately mine used oil from day 1 so nothing will help that.

In nissans defense, they said up to 1qt per 1k is acceptable and the car has stayed true to its word. No more no less, just 3/4 a qt every 1k. I've talked to others on forums whose same cars use none so I must have got a Friday car. I keep kicking around putting a low mileage yard motor in it but don't know. The cars in great shape and I do have a 13 yr old so maybe I will.

The Saturn guys used MMO also.

I thought TRAV posted in the past a very specific sequence on how to use kerosene on an engine bath.

The Critic and CR94, can we have your input please?

OP, I think the "PCV" Prius equivalent needs to be cleaned too. I think they have been reported as cooked after 100k miles. The priuschat forum has a write up about dis-mounting and clean up.

Liquimoly Proline Engine Flush reportedly loosens stuck rings when used as intended (not a piston soak).

Last edited:
Change oil as normal and don't fix what isn't broke until it is known if there is actually any need for kreen and all that.

Originally Posted by pandus13

The Saturn guys used MMO also.

I thought TRAV posted in the past a very specific sequence on how to use kerosene on an engine bath.

I've used MMO. It's relatively cheap and got mineral spirits in it plus kerosene. Gunk makes Motor Medic and Valve Medic, which have solvents and a good no solvents flush is Lubegard Flush, I believe that one uses esters???

OP, Mobil 1 recommends doing 3~5k mile oci's for the next couple drain intervals when beginning to use their HiMi formula.

[Linked Image]

I have used Seafoam for a hot soak overnight. beside an impressive smoke show, results were inconclusive. Berrymen's is a 1/3 the price and is a mixture of some real aromatic stuff. It is my first go to when a OPE carb starts acting up. I would use it for a piston soak,if i ever felt the need.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Monitor what happens from today forward. I would just use the synthetic of your choice for a 5K OCI and then reevaluate. Since you put Seafoam in the crankcase it may behoove you to do any oil change soon the last thing you need is sludge dislodging and starving the engine of oil.

I'd vote for ST HM (Non syn or synthetic variety)

I'd do three 3K oil changes with your current oil and with new filters each time.

I think I would go with a "soft" approach now. Maybe hit the Kreen a little later.

That being said, Trav does have knowledge of how to use Kreen. PM him.
If his advice contradicts mine, go with his.

Kreen is good stuff. I've used it in my Honda a few times.

I use it in my tractors to clean up gunky heads/piston tops.

Change the PCV valve, pour a quart in the engine, a quart in the tank, and drive it around. It will do some good cleaning.

I will go out on a limb here since nobody else has... there have been a few Prius posts like this.. and from what i can tell nobody has solved the oil consumption caused by worn rings, or coked rings in these yet.

I like the guy that is running the 15w40 in his Prius on here .. his uoas look good and he said consumption was down i think.

Originally Posted by Phishin
Kreen is good stuff. I've used it in my Honda a few times.

I use it in my tractors to clean up gunky heads/piston tops.

Change the PCV valve, pour a quart in the engine, a quart in the tank, and drive it around. It will do some good cleaning.

I have also used kreen with success in several vehicles. However, it may not be needed.

Try some Maxlife HM in it for two changes, then see if you need kreen...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back