Need Valve Clearance Specs-B&S 18.5 Intek

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a v-twin B&S 18.5 hp Intek. Bought new in 2000. My manual has run off and hid. Silly manual. I know the Exhaust spec is .004-.006, but I need to confirm the Intake. I think it's .003-.005, but I don't remember. Anybody out there know for sure?

Hey gang: I found the spec on the B&S site. Had to look high and low for the proper number hiding on the engine. Thanks anyway. Now I'm gonna tune it up and go mow my weeds in the great outdoor sauna. Oh joy.

Congrats on that! You're the 1 in 1000 owners who would actually check/adjust the valve lash. Prolly a good thing to do. That, or buy a Kohler with hydraulic lash adjusters.

Joel

Originally Posted By: daman
What are the specs so if someone else is looking they'll know??

It depends on the engine.
Best thing to do is look in the owners manual.
If you don't have one, you can down load one from the Briggs website.
http://www.briggsandstratton.com/maint_repair/manual_and_more/

The OHV engines usually have the valves set with the piston 1/4" PAST TDC to take the compression release out of the mix. That's as important as the actual setting.

Bill: Thanks for the reply.

Just to show that no good deed goes unpunished.....I changed my terribly cracked fuel lines, too. Must have knocked a bit of dirt loose, 'cos my float needle stuck open, and drained half a tank of gas into my engine over night. Well, it needed an oil change soon anyway. Came out REAL watery on a cold engine. FINALLY got the stuck float bowl screws loose, cleaned everything out, and now it runs great. Oh, and the intake spec is .004-.006, just like the exhaust. Sounds less clattery now.
grin2.gif

There seems to be 2 different settings for the Briggs OHV engines, depending on the Model#.
.005" +/- .001" both valves and .003" intake & .005" exhaust +/- .001".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back