Need some advice, how to repair chipping paint on rough stucco

Status
Not open for further replies.

dishdude

$100 Site Donor 2023
Bought the house 5 years ago, at the time a sprinkler was hitting this spot of the house, I fixed that immediately and had the house professionally painted. Apparently the sprinkler damaged the original paint and it is now chipping. What can I use to remove the loose paint? I've peeled some off by hand and tried a brush. Should I use a pressure washer, wire brush or a some type of a drill attachment? The stucco is a rough texture so scraping isn't an option.

Also, what primer would be recommended after I get this cleaned up?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Get professional advice. If you go to a place such as Sherwin Williams they may have a solution.

Power washing combined with wire brushing works well. After power washing expect the edges to curl up a bit as it dries out. Go back at those areas with a wire brush until you get it smooth and flush with no loose edges. That can take time and be a PITA. Spot prime it with a good latex primer like NO23 BM Fresh Start Exterior primer when there is shade on that side of the house. You want the primer to dry slowly w/o the aid of the sun/heat. Paint with a good latex exterior paint. Make sure you paint in the shade, especially in areas of the country like Arizona. Be careful of paint store advise, not all paint stores are created equal, I've heard them give some real bad advice over the years.

Get a good dust mask if you do any wire brushing, and wear it!! Good luck! If you decide to use an airless sprayer be sure to back roll it while the paint is wet.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Power washing combined with wire brushing works well. After power washing expect the edges to curl up a bit as it dries out. Go back at those areas with a wire brush until you get it smooth and flush with no loose edges. That can take time and be a PITA. Spot prime it with a good latex primer like NO23 BM Fresh Start Exterior primer when there is shade on that side of the house. You want the primer to dry slowly w/o the aid of the sun/heat. Paint with a good latex exterior paint. Make sure you paint in the shade, especially in areas of the country like Arizona. Be careful of paint store advise, not all paint stores are created equal, I've heard them give some real bad advice over the years.

Get a good dust mask if you do any wire brushing, and wear it!! Good luck! If you decide to use an airless sprayer be sure to back roll it while the paint is wet.

Thank you! This is just the advice I was looking for.

Originally Posted by dishdude
Originally Posted by demarpaint

Thank you! This is just the advice I was looking for.

No problem. PM me if you have any questions or problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back