need help ordering metric wheel nuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

CNT

[Linked Image]

I need 5 new nuts for my car (1 each rim, 2 on photo one). I just want to make it look nice with all nuts same, the rust ones make it stand out. I couldn't find the exact nuts on local retailers, nor on amazon.com. As in photo, the nut cover says "METRIC I", where would I find those? Junk yards? The car manual doesn't say what thread size it is.

seems like its better to just get a whole new set. they are cheap

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20-Bulge-Acorn-Wheels-Rims-Lug-Nuts-12X1-5-Closed-End-Chrome-3-4-Hex/262311968147?fits=Model%3AToronado%7CMake%3AOldsmobile&hash=item3d1302fd93:g:csoAAOSw481dWZ6p

Originally Posted by WhyMe

Ture. Online ones are cheaper for sure. Local retailers are like $35+ for a set. That link you provide looks OK. I just thought to get the same matching nuts, but I can do the whole set, done once. Thanks for specific search (91 Toronado). I will look around online some more... if nothing else, I may order that link. Thanks again.

Originally Posted by CNT
Originally Posted by WhyMe

Ture. Online ones are cheaper for sure. Local retailers are like $35+ for a set. That link you provide looks OK. I just thought to get the same matching nuts, but I can do the whole set, done once. Thanks for specific search (91 Toronado). I will look around online some more... if nothing else, I may order that link. Thanks again.

i would bet those metric marked ones are not even original to the car. yeah just get the whole set.

WhyMe, those of the link you provide, are those solid one-piece nuts? Not "chrome covered" that become loose and fall off (as those rusted one are)? They looks solid to me, but need to ask. Also, they are not smooth shining, but that doesn't concern me for this car.

Originally Posted by CNT
WhyMe, those of the link you provide, are those solid one-piece nuts? Not "chrome covered" that become loose and fall off (as those rusted one are)? They looks solid to me, but need to ask. Also, they are not smooth shining, but that doesn't concern me for this car.

reading the description it seems like they are solid

Lug nuts have two compatibilities, one to match the lug nut thread size to the vehicle's wheel studs and the other to match the lug nut style to the wheel. eBay's compatibility tool is used to match the thread size of the lug nut to the vehicle's wheel studs, it does not match the lug nut style to the wheel. Make sure you have chosen the correct style prior to placing an order, ask if you have any questions.

This style of lug nut is generally used on aftermarket wheels with exposed lug nuts that require a standard size conical seat lug nut.
Does not work with factory/OE wheels where the center cap, hub cap or wheel cover is held in place by the lug nut.
Made from Through-Hardened steel with a chrome plating.
Does not have a cosmetic sleeve over the lug like some factory versions

Lug nuts have two compatibilities

Oh?

one to match the lug nut thread size to the vehicle's wheel studs

Isn't that all that matters?

and the other to match the lug nut style to the wheel.

Such as? "Style" as how it looks, nothing to do with its' function? Like the nuts on the Toronado, it says "METRIC I", is that the "style" also? FWIW, I think those nuts that are there now looks good (it doesn't have ordinary "extend" convex cap), it's more of concave looking and somewhat clean looking. Can you explain to me what you mean by this (the ebay link you provided) is not the style for this Toronado wheel?

I understand sometimes need to consider TYPES of lug nuts, closed caps (show offs) vs open exposed (use with wheel covers, center caps, etc).

Correct me with terminology:

LENGTH (don't want the bolt to hit inside the cover cap)

BULGE (the fat at the "V" part), it's something nice to have, but not required? The regular lug nut (w/o bulge) also have 60°, same as bulge 60°. The bulge would make it "stronger" since it's overly larger covering more metal of the rim holes. Correct?

CAP (the end covering of the bolt), mainly for cosmetic. Would also help prevent rust since no water/salt can reach the inside bolt. Correct?

SOLID vs COSMETIC SLEEVE

any other terminology? I don't know why I am going into this, oh well? I thought a nut is a nut (except locknut), a lug is a lug? I did look in the sticky thread, there is a broken link in there and does not have terminology definitions.

As I read, now people are starting to say NOT to put grease on the bolt when putting on the lug nut (to help prevent rust and help easier removal later). Because it would cause it to roll out? Even after 100lbs torque wrench?

FWIW, I am looking into buying this LINK and still have to yet buy a (probably Craftsman) 1/2" torque wrench!

why not go to a local tire shop ..they usually have or can get them for you...although the price might be a bit higher

I've found that the McGard product line is superior as they are very hard and the chrome is well done and doesn't chip loose. Some nuts look good new but don't age well. For recessed wheels such as yours, I've also used their splined nuts rather than hex. Good luck.

Originally Posted by Lapham3
For recessed wheels such as yours, I've also used their splined nuts rather than hex.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LUG-NUTS-SMALL-DIAMETER-TUNER-SPLINE-ACORN-12x1-5-CHROME-20-PIECES/260727959992?fits=Year%3A1991%7CModel%3AToronado%7CMake%3AOldsmobile&hash=item3cb498f1b8:g:COUAAOSwbv9d-Tnn:sc:USPSPriorityMailSmallFlatRateBox!53005!US!-1

Dorman...

I did search by that name on ebay… most show $20-$45, even $200, for mere one individual nut !? Yes, some "open" end are $2, but most (both open and closed ends) have buildin washer? The search was sorted for 1991 Toronado.

I think I am going with the splined nuts (13th post link), includes a socket. Something little different, and little security there (non-hex tool).

At least, first of all, I need to take the wheel off, know what nuts are there now (may not even be OEM). I got four (brand new) Tiger Paws in my garage, so, would have do take old tires off, clean the edges (leaks by the rims), put new tires on, do the brakes (have to see how they are, looks very rusty from looking through the wheel), and hopefully will not need new bearings/housing. That car hasn't been started in 10 years, just been sitting in a garage.

I have had issues with Dorman lugnuts not being the correct size. The Mustangs have a 1/2" stud and the socket is supposed to be a 13/16". I bought something like 60 and only 15 would fit into a 13/16 SnapOn socket without either wiggling or being forced in.

I got the splined nuts today. I am not sure if I like those on the rims (as shown in picture). I guess I will get used to those? I still actually like the "METRIC" ones, but I bought the new ones already. I'll see how it goes for my sight.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back