Need a New Frig

My wife and I are looking to replace a 16 year old refrigerator. She would like one with a freezer door at the bottom and side by side doors at the top. Any history on different brands from people? Recommendations are most welcome as are your comments on performance, longevity, usefulness, etc.

Thank you in advance!

I bought a Whirlpool refrigerator in April. From day one, it was noisier than the 24 year old Maytag refrigerator that it replaced, and the temperature control is lousy. It knocks, pings, rattles, pops, and whooshes when it runs. The "Recommended" temperature setting will let the refrigerator compartment get as warm as 42 degrees. The next setting colder will start freezing the food.

I opened a case with Whirlpool Customer Service for some help. Here's how they responded. They literally told me that i was on my own.

We apologize for the delay in locating service. At this time you are welcome to contact the service company of your choice. We ask that you pay the service technician for the labor and send in the invoice for up to $150 reimbursement.

We are also going to cover the cost of the part(s). We do ask that you call our Customer eXperience Center with the part number(s) needed for the repair. Upon receipt of your phone call with the requested information, we will send you the part(s) needed at no charge. Once your service invoice is reviewed, your reimbursement will be processed.

I called them back the same day (6/30), and let them know that this was unacceptable. Today is 7/10, and I'm still waiting for any sort of assistance from Whirlpool.

They've literally told me that if I want my 3 month old refrigerator repaired anytime soon, that it will be my responsibility. Then, I can wait to be reimbursed.

We have an LG that's around 6-7 years old IIRC. Came with the house. I think the equivalent model today at Lowe's is pushing 3.5k.

The freezer is somewhat of a pain IMO, but we have a larger freezer as well.

We have an LG of the same age.

Side-by-side fridge atop and a surprisingly large drawer freezer below. Purchased with an employee discount for their house and sold to our family by a friend who determined it was too large for the space when he sold said house.

It chirps out an electronic noise on occasion. So far so good.

We bought a GE Profile model 11 years ago
So far we have had to replace the ice maker and the left hand door had a plastic connector break from the closure flap attached to it
It has been OK other than those issues
You might read Consumer Report reviews for good and hopefully unbiased opinions

Picked up a brand new Whirlpool about a year ago. Top freezer model. The fridge is not that quiet but better than what we had. The refrigerator door is already sagging.

I would not recommend Whirlpool.

I don't know the best brands, but stay away from LG and Samsung. Those two brands always have parts shortages because they break so often.

I've had the Samsung 4 door fridge for 4 years.
Never had a problem sourcing parts - and we have needed parts....
Previous LG fridge was great. French door, bottom freezer, water on the door.

Originally Posted by Boomer
My wife and I are looking to replace a 16 year old refrigerator. She would like one with a freezer door at the bottom and side by side doors at the top. Any history on different brands from people? Recommendations are most welcome as are your comments on performance, longevity, usefulness, etc.

Thank you in advance!

Unless there are issues with yours, I would keep your existing one. The new ones are more efficient because the compressors are much smaller than the older ones. The trade off is they don't last as long but what does anymore these days..

Last edited:
Originally Posted by toneydoc
We bought a GE Profile model 11 years ago
So far we have had to replace the ice maker and the left hand door had a plastic connector break from the closure flap attached to it
It has been OK other than those issues
You might read Consumer Report reviews for good and hopefully unbiased opinions

Can not recommend new high end GE refrigerators because of their water filters.

The water filter cost $50. They have an RFID tag, so you can not buy other brands of filters. And, if you do not change the filter, the system will shut off the water after a certain amount of time.

There is a work around, however. New refrigerators come with a filter bypass plug. This plug has a special RFID tag. Remove this tag from the plug and tape it 3rd party filters so you can use them.

Originally Posted by Danno

Repair parts? A friend owns an appliance repair service and he is always having trouble sourcing factory LG and Samsung repair parts. Not to mention, in 4 years you shouldn't need any parts.

Originally Posted by PowerSurge
Originally Posted by Danno

Repair parts? A friend owns an appliance repair service and he is always having trouble sourcing factory LG and Samsung repair parts. Not to mention, in 4 years you shouldn't need any parts.

There are six Kenmore Elite stainless appliances in our kitchen. 12 years old … no repairs on any.
The fridge is bottom freezer side by side and has always seen heavy use … Think it's Whirlpool …

Those Korean companies have been caught dumping in our market and I did not have a good opinion anyway - I lived only two years in Korea and replaced a fairly new Samsung fridge and LG washer needed repair

Maybe it's been harder since they don't get parts from North Korea anymore …

Originally Posted by knerml
Can not recommend new high end GE refrigerators because of their water filters.

The water filter cost $50. They have an RFID tag, so you can not buy other brands of filters. And, if you do not change the filter, the system will shut off the water after a certain amount of time.

There is a work around, however. New refrigerators come with a filter bypass plug. This plug has a special RFID tag. Remove this tag from the plug and tape it 3rd party filters so you can use them.

We have a Maytag refrigerator which also has expensive filters. Our tap water is very good so I bought a filter by-pass and we now have unfiltered cold water at the dispenser. I think it came with a filter by-pass but it seems the previous home owner threw it out. A replacement wasn't very expensive.

We have a side by side refrigerator (freezer on one side, with a separate door). I can't recommend that design because both sides are so crowded. I think I'd prefer a bottom freezer if I was buying one.

The ice dispenser is a complete waste. In a very few days the ice develops that refrigerator smell/taste so we can't use it, crushed or not. We've gone back to using ice cube trays when we need to make ice for some reason. And furthermore the ice maker takes up a lot of space. The cold water dispenser is sort of nice, but I could do without it. And water dispensers and ice makers are apparently one of the most trouble prone parts of a fridge.

Finally I suggest you check Consumer Reports for their recommendations. They have good data on repair rates and testing of models by various manufacturers.

Originally Posted by Boomer

Thank you in advance!

Ah, upper "French" doors and freezer on the bottom. The latest rage!.

Well that is and upside down design. Heat rises. Air is a fluid.

But alas we don't coll with a couple block of ice anymore. my mother's home did in the 20's

And The Polish neighbor would ride down the street in a horse and cart selling sausages for a nickle a link.

But that was then.

Bottom drawer freezers are fine if you want to keep the drawer open for 3 mins while you dig through stuff buried in there.
But maybe thay are not fine as the drawer can wighh up to 150bs full. Try pulling that open. How is that insetp on you anke minus a couple inches of skin? Crutches for a month.
Its a BAD design. Just something Different - though NOT better - to sell to the unthinking. Same old marketing paradigm.

I would go with a side by side if you are going to stick something in the same hole in the cabinets.

otherwise, it is time to get rid of that hideous obelisk in the kitchen!

A Silly and Bad design.

That is a 1950's paradigm that was well worn out in the 90's

On new remodeling, how about a refrigerator and then a completely separate - and away - freezer ?

The freezer can be outside the kitchen proper, possibly in the breezeway.

Just food for thought, not for freezing.
______

ps: My BIL ( who is a millionaire in the shipping industry) has had four french door bottom freezers in the last 7 years.

Everytime we come to vist he has a new one.

They Keep breaking. LG and Samsung.

Last edited:
I think it is hit or miss with refrigerators, however I would stay away from Samsung. There is a problem getting parts. I recommend that you deal with an appliance store with a good reputation and not big box. Purchase an extended warranty in case there are issues.

My grandparents bought a Samsung bottom freezer, top French door fridge in July 2010. 10 years later, it's been great. There was some repair to a control board for the ice maker when it was about 6 months old though. Since then, nothing done.

We have had one 12 years … none of the flip flop wearing crowd have been hurt and drawer slides like day 1.
I'm not wild about them … but I keep my stuff in our upright freezer and wife/daughter use that bottom unit.

Back