NASCAR/NHRA Engine Oil

What weight/brand of oil are these teams using in their engines? If they have an oil sponsor do the chemist/engineers for said oil makers concoct a special oil for their engines? I know NASCAR engines produce 750+HP, and an NHRA TF/FC engine can produce 11K+HP, they need to run some good quality oil.

I default to 02SE if I am wrong but don't most of the Top Fuel teams use Redline regardless of sponsor?

As far as NASCAR, it is whatever the engine builder, RoushYates, Hendrick, ECR/RCR, or TRD speficy in whatever brand they want to use.

Something to note. Not all oil sponsors are providing oil to that team/car. All of Elite Motorsports Pro Stock cars use High Performance Lubricants oil. The oil is a very low viscosity (0w-3 / 0w-8).

NASCAR uses a light 0w-20 (KV100 = ~7.5 cSt) with the biggest share being Driven XP2 0w-20.

NHRA Top Fuel and Funny Cars use SAE 70.

Something to note. Not all oil sponsors are providing oil to that team/car. All of Elite Motorsports Pro Stock cars use High Performance Lubricants oil. The oil is a very low viscosity (0w-3 / 0w-8).

NASCAR uses a light 0w-20 (KV100 = ~7.5 cSt) with the biggest share being Driven XP2 0w-20.

NHRA Top Fuel and Funny Cars use SAE 70.
I have used Kendall Nitro 70 wt. oil in a couple of SBC engines that had no oil pressure. It was just temporary until l could rebuild them, or trash them.

I default to 02SE if I am wrong but don't most of the Top Fuel teams use Redline regardless of sponsor?

As far as NASCAR, it is whatever the engine builder, RoushYates, Hendrick, ECR/RCR, or TRD speficy in whatever brand they want to use.

Lets just say that Redline is popular in Fuel racing.

Lot of Red Line oil in competing brand name or generic jugs around the fuel pits. Maybe that has changed recently. Been a few years since I wandered the fuel pits talking to a few crew chiefs here and there. Jim O made a youtube video about Red Line some years back.

It was so nice to see them running again last weekend. Weird without JFR there, hope is all ok with that group.

I was talking to a buddy this past weekend, he's a JFR team member. Professional racing is a business. Most people involved in it love it. But you can burn through a fortune in no time while racing at this level. Especially with running four teams. So you need to be smart in how and when you run.

I have no doubt they'll be back when it makes financial sense to do so.

Last edited:
I was talking to a buddy this past weekend, he's a JFR team member. Professional racing is a business. Most people involved in it love it. But you can burn through a fortune in no time while racing at this level. Especially with running four teams. So you need to be smart in how and when you run.

I have no doubt they'll be back when it makes financial sense to do so.

I get it. What is the quote from Roger Penske? "How do you make a small fortune in motorsports? You start with a large one."

Many, many, moons ago back when DJ was driving the #88. DJ came in to pit for an oil leak, and I watched the pit crew pour oil from a Havoline container into the engine. Can't say what oil was in the Havoline jug, but it was definitely a Havoline container.

Several years ago my son got pit passes for us at a NASCAR truck race at the Madison, Il. track. Most of the teams we saw were using M1 engine and other M1 products.

Im sure Redline is in many of them. Maybe some Motul 300v,Fuchs,Neo,Klotz,etc. Im sure its a two way street as the oil companies get real results and can diagnosis issues. Thats how it worked with Pennzoil and their Make The Switch promo I did.

Sponsor on this board blends specialty oil for some NHRA race teams. Pro Stock and it's low viscosity. Trying to squeeze that last few HP out of all those 500CI cookie cutter Chevy engines.

Back