Napa Pro Select 21334 - New design

That looks really solid! And as mentioned already, just like an OEM Hyundai/Kia filter.

Noisy-Slow (better phrase) on cold startup Zee..... that was the #1 problem I had with Ultras. High efficiency filters effects many GMs. Affects our standing idle in gear - even their MPGs.

Manufacturers know this! That's why Hyundai puts this-type filter into action - why GM promotes the more flowing Ecore in many applications.

So when members here hail Ultra as the best - or they claim 99%@20 is king,..... well the best restriction is not always best for the engine.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Noisy-Slow (better phrase) on cold startup Zee..... that was the #1 problem I had with Ultras. High efficiency filters effects many GMs. Affects our standing idle in gear - even their MPGs.

Manufacturers know this! That's why Hyundai puts this-type filter into action - why GM promotes the more flowing Ecore in many applications.

So when members here hail Ultra as the best - or they claim 99%@20 is king,..... well the best restriction is not always best for the engine.

Ultras are not restrictive, they flow as good or better than any oil filter out there. If you have a noisy start-up then it's possible the ADBV is leaking some - any filter can do that.

It's very hard to buy into that an oil filter is going to effect the engine's idle or gas mileage ... they just aren't that restrictive. Like I said, oil filters are only about 1/15 th as restrictive as the engine's oiling system. So hw can something that is that small of a flow restriction cause engines to not idle right or change the fuel mileage ... I can't see it actually happening.

Read this thread from where the link pops into it - LINK

An oil pump in good condition produces flow rates independent of the oil filter. How long will people say makers want flow over filtration in their filters, without any evidence or remembering the oil pump sets flow rates?

*Interesting Triple_Se7en : I have used Fram Ultra oil filters in all my Hyundai / Kia vehicles and never had a problem with start up noise ? Are Ultra's considered slower flow oil filters ? I am considering a change back to either OEM oil Filters (Kia less expensive than Hyundai) of the NAPA Pro Select (part number ?) as my Sonata runs a severe service schedule so I don't need a 20K mile oil filter for $9.75 ea, from WM.

"Slower flow oil filters" ... LoL. An oiling system is not like a garden hose supply.

Read the link I posted earlier, and Google "positive displacement oil pump".

I couldn't help myself...

20190129_110151.jpg

20190129_110156.jpg

20190129_110210.jpg

Originally Posted by wemay
Worth a shot, quoted price is right and for Hyun/Kia applications especially, seems a no brainer to try.

Smart move in buying three. I may end-up doing the same.
Were they around $3.49 per?

Yup^^

I just had to purchase three jugs of NAPA syn as well.
crazy2.gif

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

Ultras are not restrictive, they flow as good or better than any oil filter out there. If you have a noisy start-up then it's possible the ADBV is leaking some - any filter can do that.

It's very hard to buy into that an oil filter is going to effect the engine's idle or gas mileage ... they just aren't that restrictive. Like I said, oil filters are only about 1/15 th as restrictive as the engine's oiling system. So hw can something that is that small of a flow restriction cause engines to not idle right or change the fuel mileage ... I can't see it actually happening.

I don't have a base to distrust owners personal experience with this or that filter. They hear a noise with one, but don't hear it with another. If they hear a noise on cold startups, this is a weak-up call. I have also read claims that M1 filters being too restrictive had destroyed a couple of Preludes' engines during events. At the same time I still cannot catch how a proper functioning filter may be restrictive, especially at idle. And what's about a by-pass valve ? Think there should be enough oil to circulate - quality of this oil is another story. As for a leaking ADBV, yes, this may happen, but if this is a cause then they should hear a noise right after a new filter is installed. Again, it's filled in with oil quite quickly and think an empty filter should not be a real cause of noise. Could not be the cause of noise certain combination of release valve setting on engine and filter's performance ?

As for data in the link, is it possible to extrapolate somehow DP with Ultra to values as per ISO 4548-1 ? Typical EU spec shows DP at nominal flow with 24 cSt oil viscosity. If I am not mistaken, ISO 4548-1 also foresees tests with 500 cSt oil viscosity, but to my regret I have never seen these results. Here are values for new filters:

Filter 1: DP = 7.3 PSI @ 6.6 GPM
Filter 2: DP < 14.2 PSI @ 8.0 GPM
Filter 3: DP < 4.4 PSI @ 4.5 GPM

Thank you in advance.

I purchased a jug of QS Durability and a jug of Pennzoil Platinum this afternoon. I'll hold-off on any more for the Hyundai D.I. until GF6 gets established and rolling. Tomorrow I'll hit NAPA for a pair of ProSelects. I'll ziploc receipts for both purchases and jot-down the date & mileage when I do the OCs.

Originally Posted by wemay

Are you going to use one of those next oil change?
Thanks Wemay
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Primus

I don't have a base to distrust owners personal experience with this or that filter. They hear a noise with one, but don't hear it with another. If they hear a noise on cold startups, this is a weak-up call. I have also read claims that M1 filters being too restrictive had destroyed a couple of Preludes' engines during events. At the same time I still cannot catch how a proper functioning filter may be restrictive, especially at idle. And what's about a by-pass valve ? Think there should be enough oil to circulate - quality of this oil is another story. As for a leaking ADBV, yes, this may happen, but if this is a cause then they should hear a noise right after a new filter is installed. Again, it's filled in with oil quite quickly and think an empty filter should not be a real cause of noise. Could not be the cause of noise certain combination of release valve setting on engine and filter's performance ?

As for data in the link, is it possible to extrapolate somehow DP with Ultra to values as per ISO 4548-1 ? Typical EU spec shows DP at nominal flow with 24 cSt oil viscosity. If I am not mistaken, ISO 4548-1 also foresees tests with 500 cSt oil viscosity, but to my regret I have never seen these results. Here are values for new filters:

Filter 1: DP = 7.3 PSI @ 6.6 GPM
Filter 2: DP < 14.2 PSI @ 8.0 GPM
Filter 3: DP < 4.4 PSI @ 4.5 GPM

Thank you in advance.

Some engines are just more sensitive to ADBV leak down - and some engines may have hydraulic lifters that leak down some if the ADBV leaks and lets oil galleries drain down

Every vehicle I've ever changed oil on. I let it drain anywhere from 2 hours to over night. And even with a bone dry new oil filter installed, the engines I've owned never make one abnormal noise on first start-up after and oil change.

And as you mentioned, the filter bypass valve would open if the media was totally restrictiveness or clogged, and the engine would still get good oil supply with a good PD oil pump, especially at idle. Pretty much anyone who complains of start-up noise has an engine that is very sensitive to the ADBV leaking which causes some of the oil galleries above the filter to drain down.

Just very hard to buy in to someone saying an engine runs like crap and gets way worse gas mileage with certain oil filters installed. Especially knowing how restrictive a typical oil filter is compared to the actual flow restriction of an engine's oiling system. The oil filter is way less restrictive than the engine.

Hyundai
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
The real question now is what is the efficiency rating? If it isn't on the box don't buy it.
X % at 20 microns its time to stop playing their BS game.

AGAIN, some vehicle manufacturers want higher flow rates.

Not sure why anyone wants to slow oil flow, in an engine designed for increased flow. The manufacturer would use a hypothetical Fram Ultra-type, if the shoe of the engine fit.

How does "oil flow slow" when it's being forced through the system by a positive displacement oil pump? Especially when about every oil filter out there is only 1/15th as restricitve as the oiling system itself.

When the filter is restrictive and or the bypass is set too high or is disfunctional.

Originally Posted by Pinoak
Hyundai
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
The real question now is what is the efficiency rating? If it isn't on the box don't buy it.
X % at 20 microns its time to stop playing their BS game.

AGAIN, some vehicle manufacturers want higher flow rates.

Not sure why anyone wants to slow oil flow, in an engine designed for increased flow. The manufacturer would use a hypothetical Fram Ultra-type, if the shoe of the engine fit.

How does "oil flow slow" when it's being forced through the system by a positive displacement oil pump? Especially when about every oil filter out there is only 1/15th as restricitve as the oiling system itself.

When the filter is restrictive and or the bypass is set too high or is disfunctional.

GM is specifying bypass valves at 23+ PSI now. If those filters get nearly totally clogged GM must know there will still be adequate oil flow when the bypass starts opening at 23 PSI. GM is also back specing those filters, so they aren't matching those filters to engines with crazy PD oil pumps (ie, higher set pressure relief). So if a filter isn't hardly loaded at all, it's really not very restrictive, especially at idle when the oil pump is putting out minimun flow.

Originally Posted by Pinoak

Do the math... an oil filter typically has a couple HUNDRED square inches of media for oil to flow through. The inlet holes and outlet holes on a filter will both flow several gallons per minute. Then, after the filter, the bearings and galleries have very tiny passageways (generally about the size of one filter inlet hole) and they all end up feeding through bearing and lifter bore tolerances of a couple thousandths of an inch, which total nowhere near the size of the filter. ZeeOSix is correct, an oil filter will not and cannot "slow" the oil flow until the filter is essentially 100% blocked, probably before that point delta P will overcome the bypass spring and the additional flow will be picked up through the bypass. So, there will almost always be a similar level of flow through the filter, one way or another, as long as there is a bypass in the filter.

Back