Napa Platinum 41372 C&P 3k Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know. 3k isn't enough for this filter. BUT... I'm still in a "cleanup" on this engine. This is a 2005 Ford Freestyle that I've put into daily driver duty since I returned my Kia Optima lease. Don't think I need anymore short intervals, the engine is super clean under the valve cover and the filters are coming out very nice. This interval was right at 3k on Pennzoil High Mileage 5W-20 scored for $4.50 per jug. Car has 295,717 at this change, and was replaced with the same oil and a Motorcraft FL-820S. Planning on seeing if I can go the whole oil life monitor, at 3k it showed 60% remaining. Only weird thing in this filter is that the end caps aren't aligned. Don't know if that would affect anything or not. Enjoy the pics.

8DF39CCA-281C-465F-A861-FDA64635C8BF.jpeg

1368EEA4-DE7C-4FA2-BF0E-A3BC0CE1D3BE.jpeg

89376191-8091-48A2-8F4E-2E71CF228D79.jpeg

55DEA3CF-FCB1-43DA-8679-D4B6C395F1D9.jpeg

E834FD8E-1BCB-4DE3-87DD-9392FCAF8A0D.jpeg

69CA13CE-0518-4D1A-9F1C-A18E275257DE.jpeg

5D00B1B8-DE11-44C8-9FEA-BA57781E5AFF.jpeg

22DA5673-F8EF-4858-A013-3797315A7D95.jpeg

Thanks for the pics. That definitely looks clean and the filter looks very well made not withstanding the end-cap alignment. Are these wire-backed?

Originally Posted by wemay
Thanks for the pics. That definitely looks clean and the filter looks very well made not withstanding the end-cap alignment. Are these wire-backed?

They are in fact wire backed. My only gripe is the bypass is on the wrong end. I would never use one on the Marauder for this reason. The only filter I use on the Marauder is the Ford Racing FL-820S. They are almost artwork. Built very well. With all the right specs, materials and build quality. I'll use about anything on my Freestyle beater though. It's fun trying different filters out.

Originally Posted by 69Torino
Originally Posted by wemay

They are in fact wire backed. My only gripe is the bypass is on the wrong end. I would never use one on the Marauder for this reason. The only filter I use on the Marauder is the Ford Racing FL-820S. They are almost artwork. Built very well. With all the right specs, materials and build quality. I'll use about anything on my Freestyle beater though. It's fun trying different filters out.

That's interesting. Why would they place the bypass at that location?

Originally Posted by Pinoak
really nice filter. I thought wix usually uses a thread ened bypass though.
On standard Wix labeled and Napa Gold, thread end bypass is used on the majority of applications. Napa Platinum/Wix XP all use dome end bypass. Personally, don't think it's big deal either way.

Topic Platinum anecdote looks fine to me.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
Originally Posted by Pinoak
really nice filter. I thought wix usually uses a thread ened bypass though.
On standard Wix labeled and Napa Gold, thread end bypass is used on the majority of applications. Napa Platinum/Wix XP all use dome end bypass. Personally, don't think it's big deal either way.

Topic Platinum anecdote looks fine to me.

The Wix WL10290XP/NP 4100290 filter equivalent of the PF64 uses thread end bypass. Great filters, using them on my Malibu.

The Wix WL10290XP/NP 4100290 filter equivalent of the PF64 uses thread end bypass. Great filters, using them on my Malibu.
Just found your post of the 4100290, first thread end bypass XP/NP I've seen. I'll amend and say based on anecdotes posted, majority XP//NP use dome end bypass. Could change but at this point 4100290 seems to be an outlier.

Edit. I also note said filter has the new/updated GM bypass spec which could be a factor in the difference.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Sayjac
Just found your post of the 4100290, first thread end bypass XP/NP I've seen. I'll amend and say based on anecdotes posted, majority XP//NP use dome end bypass. Could change but at this point 4100290 seems to be an outlier.

Edit. I also note said filter has the new/updated GM bypass spec which could be a factor in the difference.

PF64's are thread end as well.

….PF64's are thread end as well.
And yet the Ultraguard Gold UPF64R (silicone adbv) often thought of as preferable, uses dome end bypass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back