Name that tool!

No cheating with software photo compare software fellas.
image.jpg

Is it used to measure the strength of a spring? Looks like it clamps on something and you lean on the handle to measure deflection.

Can I add another tool for ID?
Its about 45" long...not for drafting but maybe for geologic maps? I should add, I don't know what it is for.

358da53d-fe67-4087-b2b7-f0ea28b5f437.jpg

IMG_20240229_153856866.jpg

IMG_20240229_153904829~2.jpg

Last edited:
Can you get a shot of the other side of the knob end?

Untitled_27.jpg

I would say it's some kind of woodworking layout tool but for what and how it's used....?

It's the straight edge used for cutting glass. Lays on large board with dowel pins across the top. Knurled knob fine tunes the actual measurement. Lays on top of glass and you hold and pull the glass cutter along side to score the glass.

The arrow pointed brass piece went into the dowels across the top of the board. The 1/8th dowels were at a 90 degree angle to the face of the board, like a tiny picket for the entire width of the 4 foot wide board and marked like a tape measure. The opposing rail nearest you had a similar rail with measurements. Square up the straight edge you have on your desired measurements. The dial piece allowed you to fine tune your measurement like a dial caliper. Grab your glass cutter, dab it in a little oil and score the glass. Give the glass a little tap or snap and hopefully cut off falls away clean.

Back