Nail stuck in brand new tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 4 brand new tires install on my Honda for about 2 month now . Today my brother point out that there a nail stuck on it . It's look deep but no air pressure lost . I even check again this morning . Still same psi I put 2 week ago . Should I get this repair ?

Why would you not repair it? Either the nail will be flung out, and if deep enough you lose air. Or you wear the head off the nail and the nail ends up migrating to the inside of the tire and you lose air pressure. I'd only leave it this way if you enjoy changing tires on the side of the road with cars flying by you.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Take it to your tire shop. Probably repair for free and off oyu go.

He didn't anything about getting the road hazard warranty.

Yes, repair it. But don't pull the nail out until you are in a position to change the tire, like on your driveway. If you're lucky, it didn't puncture the tire.

Originally Posted by atikovi

He didn't anything about getting the road hazard warranty.

Wheel Works always patches mine for free. Even if it isn't my tire, if I am helping a friend.
It's only right...
I have a long history with them.

Yes, pull that nail out. Before you do, apply some soapy water or your saliva around the nailhead and check for bubbles. If you're lucky, it didn't penetrate inside the tire. At any rate, do it when you are in a safe position to immediately change the tire. I've had a nail or two not produce bubbles, only to leak air once pulled out.

Check pressure if you can. If it is under 20 psi then you have a leak that needs fixed.. Spit on nail and wiggle it, see if it leaks. If it does then drive to tire store and get fixed, If you have a pump, inflate to 35 psi before driving there. Nails are famous to deflating to 15 psi and holding there. Modern low profile tires will "look" and often seem to drive OK at that pressure.

If it does not leak pull it out. If still no leak you won.

Rod

I used this a while back after a screw got in. Pulled it out at a tire pump, did this repair on the spot, and I think it might be permanent. They say it isn't permanent. It might be! No need to take the tire off. I think I used the Slime brand one, but any like this (walmart, etc.):
[Linked Image from i5.walmartimages.com]

Yes. Let the tire shop decide how to repair. It may just need removing. IDK??

Thanks everyone , I will take to Walmart where I got 4 tires install . Holiday , a lot of travel , I just back 1000 miles round trips

I don't want make another thread

But my oil life monitor say 40% life left . When exactly it need to be change . Wait for 10% ? Thanks again

Originally Posted by MetalSlug

But my oil life monitor say 40% life left . When exactly it need to be change . Wait for 10% ? Thanks again

Your owners manual will answer that question for you...
wink.gif

A nail in the tire after two months? I wish. My wife called me and said "There is a chunk of rebar sticking out of the sidewall of one of the rear tires". This was literally less than 24 hours after just I had all four tires installed. I had opted out of the road hazard warranty. The guy at the tire store was gracious but did give me a big dose of "I tried, but you kept saying no...."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back