NA6 Miata (1.6) Endurance racecar Kendall SAE 30

This is a used oil analysis from a double 7 (14 hours total) race weekend in a very stock (motor) 1.6 Miata racecar. This car has megasuirt and a 4-2-1 header and makes 124whp. Other than that it is a motor of unknown miles and condition. 2 years ago it had 5-10% leak down on 3 cylinders and 15% on one (cold). Approximately a 1/2 quart was added at each pit stop (1.5-2 hours). The Kendall monograde sae30 used is not a HDEO and is SN (possibly SN plus, do not have bottle in front of me). I am utterly amazed with the performance of this oil especially its value. However I feel this performance is more due to the quality of the mazda engine and oil control in this kind of application. How can I improve on this performance? Why did the oil lose viscosity with only trace fuel? Did this monograde shear? What is the next oil, SAE 40? HDEO 15W40, HDEO 5W40, another SAE30? Thankyou for your input!

Attachments

• _storage_emulated_0_Android_data_com.adobe.reader_files_Pictures_Adobe Acrobat Exports_92 MX5 ...jpg
    _storage_emulated_0_Android_data_com.adobe.reader_files_Pictures_Adobe Acrobat Exports_92 MX5 ...jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 88
With the oil your going through whatever is cheaper. Absolutely do not waste your money on 5w-40 for this car. 15w-40 super tech at walmart should fit the bill too.

C
With the oil your going through whatever is cheaper. Absolutely do not waste your money on 5w-40 for this car. 15w-40 super tech at walmart should fit the bill too.
Cost is less of a concern, as long as it pays for itself in longevity of the motor. Obviously an oil with less consumption could pay for itself as well. I do not believe the consumption is from excessive wear, the motor shows little to know signs of blowby. Even with a broken valve cover bolt the valve cover does not leak. Obviously there is not significant crankcase pressure. Seeing the viscosity loss makes me wonder the basestock quality of this oil.
Comments?

C

Cost is less of a concern, as long as it pays for itself in longevity of the motor. Obviously an oil with less consumption could pay for itself as well. I do not believe the consumption is from excessive wear, the motor shows little to know signs of blowby. Even with a broken valve cover bolt the valve cover does not leak. Obviously there is not significant crankcase pressure. Seeing the viscosity loss makes me wonder the basestock quality of this oil.
Comments?
If it's not leaking then you could try what you would like to. Since you're not running it very long intervals & looking for thicker oil then 15w-40 would be the next step. Viscosity loss has many reasons to be lower than intended & base stock is usually not one of them.

This is a used oil analysis from a double 7 (14 hours total) race weekend in a very stock (motor) 1.6 Miata racecar. This car has megasuirt and a 4-2-1 header and makes 124whp. Other than that it is a motor of unknown miles and condition. 2 years ago it had 5-10% leak down on 3 cylinders and 15% on one (cold). Approximately a 1/2 quart was added at each pit stop (1.5-2 hours). The Kendall monograde sae30 used is not a HDEO and is SN (possibly SN plus, do not have bottle in front of me). I am utterly amazed with the performance of this oil especially its value. However I feel this performance is more due to the quality of the mazda engine and oil control in this kind of application. How can I improve on this performance? Why did the oil lose viscosity with only trace fuel? Did this monograde shear? What is the next oil, SAE 40? HDEO 15W40, HDEO 5W40, another SAE30? Thankyou for your input!
Because it's not trace fuel. You Flashpoint shows you likely have more fuel than the BS report shows. Remember BS doesn't directly test for fuel...they only infer it from the flashpoint and in my experience a flashpoint below 400 is likely more fuel than they predict.

I have used Kendall in 25 different applications and religiously take UOA. In an assortment of engines from a VW 1.6 NA diesel to a Ford V-10 to a 6.6 Duramax I have seen very low iron, copper and aluminum wear levels. It works well.

Back