My true story that was published in MCN...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since my ride is a rare Honda RC45 which only a handful know it's a $27,500 homolgated race bike with headlights and true to its racing intent it sports a tall first gear good for 90mph... I bring you the whole story titled Two Wheel Ordeal...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...ull-45634-40203-2wheelordealmcn1copy.jpg
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...01/full-45634-40204-2wheelordealmcn2.jpg

Last edited:
Having the bike in itself is really great and rare, the story of getting it home is absolutely amazing and good people acted with common sense to make it possible all along the way.

All right, back to my question from the other thread... "LOL, what oil do you run in the RC45?"

I could swear that I read an extremely similar story a while back about a race-kitted RVF400R aka NC35 aka 400cc version of the RC45 being sold in Mexico for some ridiculous price and the shenanigans the author had to pull as he basically smuggled it out of the country. Interesting read.

The Castrol Honda RC45s are still my favorite 90's World Superbike racers. The shape of the fairing, the single-sided swingarm... fantastic!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by Bonz
Having the bike in itself is really great and rare, the story of getting it home is absolutely amazing and good people acted with common sense to make it possible all along the way.

All right, back to my question from the other thread... "LOL, what oil do you run in the RC45?"

I have 58,000 miles on 30 grades... currently 5w30 Mobil 1 SN...
[Linked Image]

Is the 101 horsepower rating from Honda a crankshaft rating or rear wheel? I would assume it's at the crank being a manufacturer's rating. What was the difference(s) that allowed the European model to make 118 horsepower?

Well I can't say that you don't practice what you preach!
smile.gif

You run a lighter weight energy conserving oil and don't have any concern about the potential friction modifiers being an issue.

I have still never heard anyone call out what the friction modifiers are, like they are some secret ingredient. Someone, somewhere would know many times over what those compounds or additives are that make that oil so much more dangerous for a wet clutch. Kind of starting to wonder how much of it is reality or just the accepted gospel.

Thanks for sharing the information on your rare and wonderful piece of machinery.

Originally Posted by Bottom_Feeder

The Castrol Honda RC45s are still my favorite 90's World Superbike racers. The shape of the fairing, the single-sided swingarm... fantastic!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Super shot of John Kocinski on his way to clinching 1997 WSBK championship... I'm proud owner of one of John's StylMartin boots he wore at Laguna Seca,,,

[Linked Image]

Is the 101 horsepower rating from Honda a crankshaft rating or rear wheel?

Full power is ECU dependent... All 500 production RC45s come with two
engine management maps inside their ECU... the 56 North American RC45
run the US Federal mandated emissions map which limits power to 97.8
RWHP @ 10,000 rpm... but thanks to an HRC memo we learned how to cut
and reroute 3 wires which results in an immediate increase to about
108.5 RWHP @ 12,250 rpm (118 at the Crank)

My RC45 is up 116 RWHP @ 12,250 due to a hand made titanium pipe
fabricated by another RC45 owner and my home made K&N filer...

Home made because You just don't find what you want due to the fact
RC45 where produce in the minimum numbers required by the homolgation
rules (56 North America 500 total World wide) and that means few
aftemarket companies anted up parts... that is why K&N doesn't even
make a RC45 filter... If you want performance parts contact HRC or
make them yourself... its no joke when owners say... minimal tools for
modifying an RC45 is a Lathe and Mill... I've made my own:

Bar Risers
Front Axles
Rear Sets
Side Stand
Exhaust Can End
Triple Clamps
Caliper Hangers
Throttle Barrel
Crash Donuts
Rear Axle Mod
K&N Filter

Well I can't say that you don't practice what you preach!
smile.gif

You run a lighter weight energy conserving oil and don't have any concern about the potential friction modifiers being an issue.

Thanks to BITOG I've learned Energy Conserving is not additive... its an API test that this "oil MAY
result is an overall saving of fuel in the vehicle fleet as a whole"... there is nothing in the oil to defeat a wet clutch...

Thanks for sharing the information on your rare and wonderful piece of machinery.

You're welcome...

Originally Posted by JC1
Nice find. I didn't read the article you posted pics of since I don't have my glasses around!

How much is serial number 2 worth?

Balls 2 RC45 (one of the 56 RC45 imported to North America) is worth close to 50K...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back