My friend mustang die while on high way

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend call me . He stay 8 hours away . Anyway he got 97 mustang gt . While he on highway . Suddenly the car loose power and he push the gas and the car won't do nothing . It end up cut off . Light is good . I told him might be fuel pump . Try hit it while crank . It try to crank but it won't turn over . Now the battery dead because he try to crank it many time .

Originally Posted by MetalSlug
My friend call me . He stay 8 hours away . Anyway he got 97 mustang gt . While he on highway . Suddenly the car loose power and he push the gas and the car won't do nothing . It end up cut off . Light is good . I told him might be fuel pump . Try hit it while crank . It try to crank but it won't turn over . Now the battery dead because he try to crank it many time .

Man that's hard to read

If IIRC.....The fuel pump relay is built into a module in the right front fender. I've seen those go belly-up from cracked solder joints.
There's also a Inertia Trip switch in-line on the fuel pump power circuit, I've also seen those go bad & trip over the slightest bump in the road.

See if it's a fuel pressure issue first by using a alternative fuel source....Then check if the pump actually has power which is easily done at the Inertia Switch.

One side should have B+ while cranking & the other should have a Ground return from the pump motor (Through the windings).....If that shows good, Short the to pins/circuits together to bypass the Inertia Switch.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
People tend to freak out when a car dies & run the battery dead trying to get in running again, Like it's going to magically fix itself.......

Yup. Crank it a few times to see what it does or doesn't do, then save the battery.

Sad that I am 8 hours away . I told him gone ahead and call the town truck . And ask him to take to a shop that he know well . And bite the bill . I told him I will send him $200 on top of what ever bill he have to pay. Kinda help him out .

Might simply be out of gas...?
57.gif

Originally Posted by TheLoneRanger
Might simply be out of gas...?
57.gif

One thing Ive learned since getting a Mustang - when the low fuel light comes on, you get gas NOW. With a 15 gallon tank and not the most fuel efficient engine, you can't get terribly far at that point. The first time I ran mine down, I ended up running out of gas in the gas station parking lot.

I thought your horse died. Whew!
smirk.gif
There are a lot of things that can cause the engine stalling. It's got to do with interrupting air or fuel flow or missing spark. Could be anything from a failed fuel pump/clogged fuel filter, bad MAF/MAP sensor, ECU problem, bad ground, bad crank or cam position sensor or even a bad ignition switch.

Originally Posted by kstanf150

Man that's hard to read

lol.gif

Man that's hard to read

Maybe so but he's a good friend.

Mechanics love it when people need a repair, and then burn up their starter and ruin the battery cranking on it hoping something will change. On a fuel injected car, the odds of it starting after a few more seconds of cranking are very small. Modern gear reduction permanent magnet starters do not have a lot of thermal capacity, and are pretty easy to burn up too. I have seen armatures turn blue from the heat. Spend 250 or more just to get it to crank and then find out what is wrong.

Rod

I

Man that's hard to read

I stopped reading early and thought his friend named Mustang died got killed on the highway.

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy

Man that's hard to read

lol.gif

Now I see who the real elitist donkeys are around here.

could be a bunch of things, but fuel pumps are notoriously bad around that year in Mustangs. I just replaced the one in my 95 (different engine, very similar or same pump). Mine required priming to start easily, and when it ran it was super loud. The final straw was it causing the engine to stutter and die, but would let me restart after a 5 minute cool down. New pump solved all of this. And my 95 only has 87k miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back