My 68 L36

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good paint. It took months to complete. This is an old pic. I remember fixing the broken wiring to the backup light. You can't get many parts. In 69 they put the backup lights into the tail lights.

68_Vette back.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
Not a PC thread title.

I never looked at it that way, but I do not want to offend anyone. So I changed it.
Wonder how many know what L36 means?
All good.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
Not a PC thread title, and I'm no liberal.

Who cares. Cool ride

The moderators.

And you.

I had to click on the thread to find out what it was all about. Sadly it turned into something else.

Jeff, I was trying to remember when backup lights came into being.

67 and 68 backup lights were separate. You can see the rectangular lens under the bumper.
in 69 they were incorporated into the inner tail lights.
Earlier cars also used the tail lights as well. I am not as familiar with them.
When I rewired this car, I learned a lot. The dash was the worst part, all those little bulbs.
But the car sure ran better and did not burn to the ground. That's a good thing.

This is a pretty Plain Jane 1968 Corvette.
The only options are the L36 base 427 390 HP and the AM-FM Stereo which was kinda rare back then.
I have a new black soft top and weather strip kit; my BIL is gonna do it. I hate that stuff.
The car is very stock. I do wanna stab a roller in it to protect the original block.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
The only options are the L36 base 427 390 HP and the AM-FM Stereo which was kinda rare back then.
I have a new black soft top and weather strip kit; my BIL is gonna do it. I hate that stuff.
The car is very stock. I do wanna stab a roller in it to protect the original block.

I would not consider a 427 car a plain Jane lol

Numbers matching big block? Swap that out with a crappy old truck 454, did the later 454s come with a roller cam from the factory?

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Numbers matching big block? Swap that out with a crappy old truck 454, did the later 454s come with a roller cam from the factory?

The car is in Gig Harbor, WA with my brother in law. He bought a pumped 454 to swap for fun.
Personally I like stock.
I am not aware of a factory Mark IV with a roller cam. Only retrofit cam kits.
My guess is I could do it about $600 all in.

Not a PC thread title.

I never looked at it that way, but I do not want to offend anyone. So I changed it.
Wonder how many know what L36 means?
All good.

I wasn't even born yet - but all GM L-codes refer to the engine. I assume you had a small block 327-350 with a 4-barrel QuadraJet on it.

I just saw the original title, it's only hood if you live in East Oakland/East SJ/North Richmond or Pittsburg/Antioch/Bay Point and had it on Dayton spokes with Vogues or cheap 20" wheels(not rims). That would be a donk right there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by nthach

I wasn't even born yet - but all GM L-codes refer to the engine. I assume you had a small block 327-350 with a 4-barrel QuadraJet on it.

The L36 was the base 427 cubic inch engine; about a $120 option over MSRP.
It used a mild 480" lift hydrolic lifter cam, 10.25 to 1 C/R, Rochester QuadraJet carb. This car has the 3.90 Positraction Differential.
Interestingly, the engine options for 1967 and 1968 we the same.

Can't tell if the car is blue or black. But if black, that's anything but a Pain Jane. All factory produced black muscle cars from the 60's and early 70's are quite scarce and highly sought after. The only engines available for the 1969 Vette were the std 350 or the 4 variants of the 427. The 327 was not on the list.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 69GTX
Can't tell if the car is blue or black. But if black, that's anything but a Pain Jane. All factory produced black muscle cars from the 60's and early 70's are quite scarce and highly sought after. The only engines available for the 1969 Vette were the std 350 or the 4 variants of the 427. The 327 was not on the list.

The car was originally Cordovan Maroon and now is black. When I bought it, it was in rough shape. I had been painted yellow and then blue.
The car was drag raced and had a Mickey Mouse high duration cam; ran poorly below 3,000 RPM.
I am not a fan of maroon. The car needed extensive panel work as it had been fixed badly in numerous places.
The paint job is very high quality. The shop had the car over 4 months. It was painted back in the later 1990s.
I wanted to paint it a beautiful 69 color, Cortez Silver. The painter and my wife said no, it has to be black.

68 shiny.jpg

68 side.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 69GTX

The car was originally Cordovan Maroon and now is black. When I bought it, it was in rough shape. I had been painted yellow and then blue.
The car was drag raced and had a Mickey Mouse high duration cam; ran poorly below 3,000 RPM.
I am not a fan of maroon. The car needed extensive panel work as it had been fixed badly in numerous places.
The paint job is very high quality. The shop had the car over 4 months. It was painted back in the later 1990s.
I wanted to paint it a beautiful 69 color, Cortez Silver. The painter and my wife said no, it has to be black.

Beautiful car there Jeff.

Where were those pics taken? Looks like the Tahoe area to me. Maybe because, when I lived in Palo Alto, we went to a few national gatherings in that area.

I'd gladly cut off my left pinky toe to own it, LOL!

It used a mild 480" lift hydraulic lifter cam, 10.25 to 1 C/R, Rochester QuadraJet carb. This car has the 3.90 Positraction Differential.

I had a very similar combo (.480" lift cam, Carter ThermoQuad carb) on a '72 440 engine in a 1973 Road Runner with 4.10's...

as fast as that Road Runner was, I am *quite* sure your 427 Corvette is a blast to drive!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back