Mustang Electric

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is amazing and interesting is the fact they coupled it to a 6 speed manual transmission. I am guessing the wrong driver could obliterate the clutch because of the intense torque in electrics just off 0 RPM.

Originally Posted by Vikas
why does it need a clutch?
Same reason a V8 Mustang needs a clutch. All they have done here is replace the V8 with an electric motor, that's all. Just a concept - toy.

What is nice about this is that you don't have to shift as you drive it around town if you want. Just pick a gear and drive it. Maybe 5th gear would be perfect for around town stuff.

Then, when you want it to be in "Play Mode", take it to a drag strip and shift through all the gears.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
I have no idea why it needs a clutch or a manual transmission..
Cuz people enjoy shifting Its a toy.

Originally Posted by paoester
Cuz people enjoy shifting Its a toy.

I kinda thought so, even though I am not sure it makes sense.
Maybe 6th gear is 186,400 miles per second top speed under full power?

As long as you don't exceed around 12,000 RPM in this big-ish electric motor, it's not over-revving it. (Teslas can do up to 18,000 RPM for short times, steady 15,000 RPM all day.)
Therefore, you can shift all you want under that.
It can limit motor current to avoid ripping out the transmission and diff when doing wicked burnouts.
Tool around in 4th gear if you want to, you never really have to shift it. Almost ful torque (amperage limited) at zero RPM.

Tesla's first roadster prototype had a 2 speed transmission. Despite many refinements, It was unable to handle the massive torque of the motor and self destructed fast. The solution was to eliminate the transmission.

I wonder what makes these guys think it will work for them

Hmm. I've always wondered about needing a transmission, or not, on a electric setup. I suspect, but it's only a guess, that on lower power setups it might mimic an ICE, in that gear multiplication is still multiplication. I don't see how a 100hp electric motor can make infinite torque at zero rpm; it must have some limit at zero rpm (and extension, low rpm) where it is limited in torque output. Using a multiplier (that can be removed later) is only going to allow more torque.

Now this concept vehicle and others with crazy power are probably traction limited and thus not an issue. But I have to wonder if in the future we'll have low power PEV's that could use even just a 2 speed transmission for fast takeoff. It could stay in high range, until the pedal was mashed. I guess it depends on if the motor is constant torque or constant horsepower: constant torque would argue for adding a transmission 'cuz spinning faster always results in more horsepower, but constant horsepower would mean no need as there would be no change in how fast work could be getting done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back