Moving To Phoenix, Suggestions?

Moving from NE Ohio to Phoenix this Spring.

My normal routine in Ohio is:
* Every Spring and Fall: Wash - clay - polish and then wax using Collinite 845
* Every 1 to 2 weeks: Wash and dry using Turtle Wax Wax and Dry Spray Wax

Are there things I will need to do in addition to or differently in AZ?

Cars are garaged and driven about 8,000 mi per year.

Thanks

I wouldn't change anything from your normal routine, the best thing you can do once here is always try to find covered parking and get the windows tinted. On the plus side, nothing rusts!

One thing to keep in mind, hand washing a car outside in the summer is not fun. The water dries before you have a chance to hand dry and leaves nasty hard water spots.

Sell you vehicles as soon as you arrive in Phoenix- people always want Arizona cars.... and then buy a car that lived its life in Arizona....

I know of a used pickup truck dealer in dealer in Arizona... buys all his trucks at auction in Wisconsin, brings them down to Phoenix, sprays the underneath with a black undercoating, and sells em as to unsuspecting buyers looking for desert trucks....

Enjoy you move and best wishes in Phoenix...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by knerml
Moving from NE Ohio to Phoenix this Spring.

My normal routine in Ohio is:
* Every Spring and Fall: Wash - clay - polish and then wax using Collinite 845
* Every 1 to 2 weeks: Wash and dry using Turtle Wax Wax and Dry Spray Wax

Are there things I will need to do in addition to or differently in AZ?

Cars are garaged and driven about 8,000 mi per year.

Thanks

You may want to consider using something like 303 on rubber seals around car doors/windows to keep them from drying out.

Originally Posted by GON
Sell you vehicles as soon as you arrive in Phoenix- people always want Arizona cars.... ..

Nah, sell those Ohio rust buckets there so you won't be tempted to keep them. You may think your 2018 is rust free and you'd be wrong. One of the reasons to live here is to experience truly rust free vehicles. Get good sun shades for your cars along with the tint.

If you're in the salt now sell your vehicles before you go. You will be in heaven with all the beautiful rust free older vehicles.. They wont take a salt belt in trade. No one will buy it once they find out its been up north in salt.

And sew a glove or cloth cover on seatbelt buckles.

My oldest grandson lives in Phoenix and is a GM salesman.

6'5" blonde hair and is as crazy as his grandpa.
lol.gif
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Suggestions?: Don't move to Phoenix.

use really good UV blocking wax and get the 3M heat-blocking window tinting.

Originally Posted by T4RF
Suggestions?: Don't move to Phoenix.

People either love it or hate it. Either you like large cities or not, and Phx is a large city. The heat is something you have to experience past the initial OMG stage to see if you can tolerate it. People go about their lives every day there and you see people outside on the hottest days.

Such a happy day was when I bought a Texas car and knew I would never deal with rust again.

Recommend good quality tint on the car, and park it inside when possible.

Sun kills rubber parts, my wife's scion gets parked outside, and we have had to replace tons of rubber trim parts, and quite a few sets of wipers. Before I moved down here I never replaced a rubber window trim on anything, but down here it just vaporizes. Also headlights get sun damaged, so I wax them everything I wax the car.

Get a good water deionizer. That way you can wash your cars and let them air dry without spots - and believe me, they'll air dry FAST in Az. If we have a dry April, May June run, single digit humidity numbers are a reality. Other than that tint, shades, and a really good UV wax will make sure your ride is ok. As said above good rubber protectant is helpful.
Rainy season (monsoon) is July, August, September.

Originally Posted by SubLGT
I would hate to work as a roofer in Phoenix. Has to be brutal in summer.

Probably not much of that going on in July but they put down asphalt all summer. Those guys are superhuman.

friend moved in sep to pheonix from the PNW and loves it. he was able to buy a home and have a pool and even sun. he does not miss the rain one bit

NE Ohio to Phoenix is a huge change, my in-laws live in Middlefield, OH. Not sure where in Ohio OP is moving from, but Phoenix is a great place to land and I'm sure it'll be a huge improvement in quality of life.

Your regimen is pretty good already.

Look for uv Protection in all your products. Dashboard, trim, etc. If you have to park in the open then a sun shade is essential.

Good luck on the move. We have friends in Phoenix that went through the 125F heat wave some time back. They had T shirts that said "We Survived 125."

It was 110 when we visited. Definitely warm.

Originally Posted by dishdude
NE Ohio to Phoenix is a huge change, my in-laws live in Middlefield, OH. Not sure where in Ohio OP is moving from, but Phoenix is a great place to land and I'm sure it'll be a huge improvement in quality of life.

Thanks.

dishdude hit the nail on the head. WINDOW TINT.

Feel free to ask here or message either of us if you have questions about the area, or if you're moving/working in a particular part of town.

Back