Motul vs Shell

50.gif

Originally Posted by adams355

Yep, but in Australia only the Shell Helix Ultra line is GTL atm.

You folks don't get Pennzoil products there?

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

Yep, but in Australia only the Shell Helix Ultra line is GTL atm.

You folks don't get Pennzoil products there?

No, we did get a small selection about 10 years ago but that major auto store stopped selling them. You could probably find some somewhere but they would be very pricey and limited selection.

Royal Dutch Shell (RDS) is the parrent company of Pennzoil and Quaker State. These 2 Lines (brands) of oil are only sold in North America (and some central American countries.) Shell also retail their HDEO's in the US as well (Rotella.)

Everywhere else in the world Royal Dutch Shell products are branded as "Shell."

For reference:
Both Ultra AG and Ultra ECT C3 = Pennzoil PP Euro L
Ultra ECT C2/C3 = Pennzoil PP Euro LX (personal favourite)
Ultra 5W40 = Pennzoil Euro 5W40
Ultra 0W40 = Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W40 (neither of which are annoyingly available in Australia
frown.gif
)

Same oil blend with all base oil comming from the same GTL plant (PEARL) in the UAE.

RDS have refineries in several European nations, the UAE, the US, Thailand, Hong Kong (and probably elswhere,) where the same base oil (from PEARL) is blended with the same additive pack's to produce the same oil. This allows RDS to limit itself to exposure in the event that 1 refinery sustains damage or trade disputes arise. They can simply alter production elsewhere to meet market or geo-political demands.

As for what to use. As long as it meets the OEM spec you can't really lose these days. I like the RDS products as they're about as upfront as you can be with regards to their products. Motul (at least in Australia) are ~ double the price of Helix Ultra oils (which already are expensive,) so not many use them for daily drivers. My vote is for Ultra AG. Also to remember is the SHell produce all their own base oil in 1 location. Motul most likley[/] have to buy their base oils on the open market.

Regards
Jordan

Originally Posted by JFAllen
Royal Dutch Shell (RDS) is the parrent company of Pennzoil and Quaker State. These 2 Lines (brands) of oil are only sold in North America (and some central American countries.) Shell also retail their HDEO's in the US as well (Rotella.)

For reference:
Ultra 0W40 = Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W40 (neither of which are annoyingly available in Australia
frown.gif
)

Same oil blend with all base oil comming from the same GTL plant (PEARL) in the UAE.

RDS have refineries in several European nations, the UAE, the US, Thailand, Hong Kong (and probably elswhere,) where the same base oil (from PEARL) is blended with the same additive pack's to produce the same oil. This allows RDS to limit itself to exposure in the event that 1 refinery sustains damage or trade disputes arise. They can simply alter production elsewhere to meet market or geo-political demands.

As for what to use. As long as it meets the OEM spec you can't really lose these days. I like the RDS products as they're about as upfront as you can be with regards to their products. Motul (at least in Australia) are ~ double the price of Helix Ultra oils (which already are expensive,) so not many use them for daily drivers. My vote is for Ultra AG. Also to remember is the SHell produce all their own base oil in 1 location. Motul most likley[/] have to buy their base oils on the open market.

Regards
Jordan

Those oils do not equal the same they are different viscosity. Example, Ultra 5W-40 13.1 cSt at 100c vs Pennzoil Euro 5w-40 13.5 cSt at 100c

Originally Posted by JFAllen

For reference:
frown.gif
)

Regards
Jordan

Those oils do not equal the same they are different viscosity. Example, Ultra 5W-40 13.1 cSt at 100c vs Pennzoil Euro 5w-40 13.5 cSt at 100c

Pennzoil Euro is now 12.8cst.
Shell/Pennzoil has notoriously inaccurate PDS.

Yea I agree, but they are slightly different formulations though.

That could be due to production facility.

The only thing the Motul is doing is meeting the fuel economy requirements of C2

They are both top tier oils, just go for the cheaper one

Shell Helix Ultra Pro AG 5w-30 has the PurePlus (Fischer - Tropsch) as it's base oil (up to 90%) the rest is additives and diluents.

Motul will be quality too.

You could do a million miles with both oils and still struggle to measure the difference in wear on the engine.

Originally Posted by yagciogullari
hey hey people
smile.gif

i have an opel astra k 1.6 litre CDTI (B16DTH GM diesel engine). opel tells me the engine oil specs as follows: 5w-30 and dexos®2 certified.

as of now i have Motul 8100 X-clean EFE in the sump. thinking of trying Shell Helix Ultra Professional AG since i am due an oil change soon.

would you say one is better than the other? (they seem really close. then again, i don't know much about oils)

[Linked Image from i.vgy.me]

(left: motul | right: shell)

Selam

Castrol edge 0w-30 c3 dexos 2 is a good alternative if you can find it in Turkey.

Originally Posted by Bjornviken

Selam

Castrol edge 0w-30 c3 dexos 2 is a good alternative if you can find it in Turkey.

yeah it is easily found though the packaging is mostly 4 litres and 5 litres (required volume for my car) become a bit on the pricey side. also i am not sure that if it will be wise to change the viscosity other than 5w-30
45.gif

Originally Posted by Bjornviken

Selam

yeah it is easily found though the packaging is mostly 4 litres and 5 litres (required volume for my car) become a bit on the pricey side. also i am not sure that if it will be wise to change the viscosity other than 5w-30
45.gif

If you can get Castrol 0W30 C3, do not look elsewhere!

Originally Posted by edyvw

care to elaborate a bit more?

also i checked the manual and i guess i can use 0w-30 but it never gets below -25°C here. also any hazards using 0w-30 instead of 5w-30?

also i checked the manual and i guess i can use 0w-30 but it never gets below -25°C here. also any hazards using 0w-30 instead of 5w-30?

Hazards come from using something like Everclear oil, not from using one that is appropriate and meets the required specification. The temperature chart is a recommendation for low temperatures and not a warning against use at higher ones. Both are still 30-grade oils which is what is important, not the winter rating (especially in Istanbul).

You'll be fine, there is no hazard. The winter rating is irrelevant for you.

care to elaborate a bit more?

That says to use 0W if temperature is below -25, dos not say not to use 0W30 if temperature is above -25. What would be a problem is if you use 0W20 or 5W20.
All W30 oils, ACEA C3, regardless whether they are 0W30 or 5W30 have similar KV100 performance (or more simplified: operating temperature performance).
Castrol 0W30 has hefty dosage of PAO base stock, and besides being very good in cold, it is excellent performer at operating temperatures. It is more sophisticated oil than Castrol Edge 5W30, Motul X-Clean or Shell ECT. It is ultimate Castrol's product for European market. Unfortunately, we in the US do not get that one.

Last edited:

That says to use 0W if temperature is below -25, dos not say not to use 0W30 if temperature is above -25. What would be a problem is if you use 0W20 or 5W20.
All W30 oils, ACEA C3, regardless whether they are 0W30 or 5W30 have similar KV100 performance (or more simplified: operating temperature performance).
Castrol 0W30 has hefty dosage of PAO base stock, and besides being very good in cold, it is excellent performer at operating temperatures. It is more sophisticated oil than Castrol Edge 5W30, Motul X-Clean or Shell ECT. It is ultimate Castrol's product for European market. Unfortunately, we in the US do not get that one.

thanks for the explanation.

one other thing though:
is PAO considered one of the top performers amongst synthetic oils? do Castrol Edge 5W30, Motul X-Clean or Shell ECT etc. have "inferior" base stocks?

[Linked Image from media.noria.com]

thanks for the explanation.

one other thing though:
is PAO considered one of the top performers amongst synthetic oils? do Castrol Edge 5W30, Motul X-Clean or Shell ECT etc. have "inferior" base stocks?

[Linked Image from media.noria.com]

First of al, always look at final product. Even if product has Group III base stock, which is considered as "fake" synthetic, final product could be of great performance (for example Mobil1 VISOM base stock).
Motul is Group III and SHell is GTL, but really do not know how much of GTL is in there. PAO is so called "true" synthetic. Now, Castrol 0W30 is not just great performer bcs. of PAO (for example Motul used for a long time PAO, but final product was not any better than average Group III based oils from Mobil1, SHell or Castrol etc.). It is generally great oil that provides good UOA all the time.

thanks for the further explanation edyvw.

i think i am sold on Castrol Edge 0W-30
grin2.gif

i know it's a wee bit more expensive than motul and shell, and i know that i probably won't reap the benefits of it (i mostly do long distance motorway driving. i.e not driving the car to its extremes. then again how extreme can one get with a 1,6 litre engine?
laugh.gif
); i'll probably still buy it
smile.gif

To borrow this thread briefly, does all the Castrol Edge 0W-30 contain PAO?
They have ACEA: A1, A5, A3, C3 variants to choose from.

Back