Motul 300V reduced Water Temp by 10+ degrees!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

as part of the new direction I am taking with the WRX, I changed out the oil with 300V last weekend.

First observation is that the oil smells sweet like candy.

Second observation is that the use of 300V has reduced engine water temp by 10+ degrees.

I do not have a read on the oil temp, but it stands to reason that the 300V deals with and disperses heat very well.

The water temp with Pennzoil Ultra 5w30 would top out at 204 degrees F with either gridlock traffic or spirited driving.

The water temp with Motul 300V tops out at 192 degrees with the same driving style.

The engine also "feels" better with the 300V. But that is likely a placebo effect of spending $100 on oil!

I will say with confidence however that engine braking does seem to be less noticeable/usable with the 300V. . . .

I'm not sure I follow ? the thermostat does not open until 195F?

now if you said while Autocrossing the oil temp stayed under 250F vs 270F earlier in day before oil change. It might be more scientific.

I really like motul oils also but I dont drink the koolaid without knowing if its sugar or Splenda. in it :p

motul 300v is racing oil with lot if friction modifier, i believe the engune rev easier but 10 degree maybe too much difference with PU, so far i know pu run cioler than m1 afe on my high mileage engine

I see you are in Philly, what store did you get this oil from?

And FWIW: Royal Purple gets bashed for making very similar claims.

That's the purple koolaid
grin.gif

I have run 300V (5w30 and 5w40) and never noticed any difference in my oil temps.

In fact, I find that some days my car randomly shows a 5-10 degree higher oil temp with the dealer's Castrol Edge or even my Eneos Sustina. *shrug*

Originally Posted By: Rand
I'm not sure I follow ? the thermostat does not open until 195F?

now if you said while Autocrossing the oil temp stayed under 250F vs 270F earlier in day before oil change. It might be more scientific.

Exactly.
Beside Motul 5W-30 300V with it's HTHSV of 3.6cP IIRC is a heavier oil than PU 5W-30.
If the OP installed an oil temp' gauge that would tell you more.

I am using a scangauge 2 hooked up to the obd2 port. It gives a read out of the water temp useing the cars OE sensors.

The temps I reported are the temps that I have seen from the Scangauge.

I have no idea where the oem water temp sensor is located. But with only changing the oil it reports a ten degree difference.

I do not have oil temp.

Originally Posted By: TechnoLoGs
I see you are in Philly, what store did you get this oil from?

And FWIW: Royal Purple gets bashed for making very similar claims.

I picked up the oil at a shop in landsdale called RT Tuning.

I think what you're seeing is normal.

What I have observed is there are days where my WRX's water temp would stabilize slightly below the middle tick mark of the OE temp gauge where ambient temps are pretty warm. There are also days where its cool out and the temp gauge is stabilized right on the middle tick mark. OE senders are pretty hard to trust with that level of measurement accuracy. I would say they may read +/- 10 degree or more from the actual temp.

I also do not have a dedicated aftermarket water temp gauge/temp sender. I've been thinking about picking up a set of "Defi" Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Turbo Boost Gauge. The price is what's holding me back. They're about $800 for a set of three gauges. From what I've heard/read that they're the most precise and accurate gauge one can buy. Which I would hope so with that type of price tag.
shocked2.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back