Motorcraftf Fl820s 1,310 miles, 109 hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is off of a 2016 F450 6.8L V10 with 8,130 miles on it. This is a municipal bucket truck that works on lights and parks and high idles for long periods of time while working on the bucket. Oil used was Motorcraft 5w30 blend. Vehicle gets serviced every 6 months and the conversion for this hour amount is around 5,500 miles. Can date code is 3/11/19

Side note: Vehicle display says 2.5 mpg avg.

20200103_154358.jpg

20200103_154408.jpg

20200103_154415.jpg

Last edited:
Nice pictures - thanks!
The FL-820s is one of the do not buy MC filters.

Whats the other filter in the pan?

The other filter is a Napa gold off a 5.4L Ford with 3k miles on it. It was in like new condition. That is the filter we use now that we know about the motorcraft media tearing. This is the first one I've personally seen tear in the middle. My other 2 tore at the base of the pleats.

Originally Posted by mpgo4th
This is off of a 2016 F450 6.8L V10 with 8,130 miles on it. This is a municipal bucket truck that works on lights and parks and high idles for long periods of time while working on the bucket. Oil used was Motorcraft 5w30 blend. Vehicle gets serviced every 6 months and the conversion for this hour amount is around 5,500 miles. Can date code is 3/11/19

Side note: Vehicle display says 2.5 mpg avg.

Am I blind or are there spaces in media in one pic?

Thank You for c&p
smile.gif

Wonder If we should all get together and send motorcraft and purolator these pictures of these filters tearing. Let's even tell the news about it.

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Am I blind or are there spaces in media in one pic?

Torn media ... delta-p on weak media = torn media/holes.
eek.gif

I think I would change the oil and filter every 3 months. Thats a lot of hours on an expensive engine like that. Cheap maintenance and will worth it. Thanks for the C&P.

It's a pity Motorcraft/Purolator have cheapened out on those wide pleat gaps that are susceptible to tearing. From what I've seen, it seems Purolator have gotten their act together on their own filters and recent videos show nice, tight pleats...

Originally Posted by 69Torino
Is it too late to post the date code on the dome end?

It's in the trash now but the date was 3/11/19

Originally Posted by mpack88
Wonder If we should all get together and send motorcraft and purolator these pictures of these filters tearing. Let's even tell the news about it.

They don't care.
Several have contacted Purolator (including me) with pic of failed filters with no response.

I wonder if those World Champions think people are deliberately tearing those filters just to make their filters look bad .... And even if they are thinking that they still should have the decency to respond to people... Maybe that may well change their mind about their wrong headed assertions. Then with that information taken seriously then they could actually make changes to correct the problems you, strude53 and others on here have seen.

Originally Posted by 69Torino
Is it too late to post the date code on the dome end?

It's in the trash now but the date was 3/11/19

Thanks. Was simply curious.

Originally Posted by bbhero
I wonder if those World Champions think people are deliberately tearing those filters just to make their filters look bad .... And even if they are thinking that they still should have the decency to respond to people... Maybe that may well change their mind about their wrong headed assertions. Then with that information taken seriously then they could actually make changes to correct the problems you, strude53 and others on here have seen.

That's a BIG 10-4! It's called "Getting their 5 minutes of FAME!"

I have pictures and mileage from multiple torn motorcraft filters of different part numbers in my phone. Maybe I'll sit down and write up something and send it from my work email with my job title and our agency included. If they don't respond or care about that than I will have my answer as to if there is any hope in using them again in the future. I still purchase some motorcraft air filters due to there low price but good quality.

I have pictures and mileage from multiple torn motorcraft filters of different part numbers in my phone. Maybe I'll sit down and write up something and send it from my work email with my job title and our agency included. If they don't respond or care about that than I will have my answer as to if there is any hope in using them again in the future. I still purchase some motorcraft air filters due to there low price but good quality.

Wish you the best. Other members sent email to Putolator and nothing was ever done about it. I counted least 30+ filters I cut and posted "made by Purolator" that tore. I'll stick with fram/wix

Originally Posted by 53' Stude

Wish you the best. Other members sent email to Putolator and nothing was ever done about it. I counted least 30+ filters I cut and posted "made by Purolator" that tore. I'll stick with fram/wix

I'm sure they care little about us. As many of us who have seen first hand that these filters fail, there are tens of thousands who spin one on and don't care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back