Most Durable and Dependable Cell Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would that be? Most people seem to choose either the Samsung Galaxy or the Apple iPhone, but are there better built phones out there?

The iPhone is pretty good, With a Otterbox Defender.....I have yet to break one, 4,4S,5S,& 6S so far.

However.....I can't work an Android phone to save my life!

Samsung are fragile. Consider a Motorola instead. iPhone's not bad, dirt cheap on Amazon refirb.

Better built=/=Durable

Love them or hate them, iPhones are incredibly well built. But so are Samsung's. But I wouldn't call either the most durable thing if comparing right out of the box experiences to something like the CAT, Galaxy Active, or Blackview phones. Cases and screen protectors change that and level the playing field though.

But like dishdude said, pick your flavor and enjoy. I've tried both, iOS won for me. But I totally get why people like Android.

Last edited:
They're all the same, you either like Android or iOS. Pick your flavor and enjoy.

Unless you go back to flip phones or a phone that doesn't have a large screen, none are really "durable" unless you want to put on a bulky otter box.

Yeah, my old Motorola Tundra was a tough hombre - but love my (many) apple devices these days …

Disclaimer- I worked for AT&T for a long time
smile.gif
iPhones statistically have less overall damage reports than Samsung phones. They seem to be slightly more durable. Historically the Samsung products have a cheap charging port that is very sensitive to corrosion- including exposure to sweat when in your pockets. iPhones seem to have a lower rate of getting "bricked". Regardless of which phone you buy, get an Otterbox case to protect it.

I think it's more the case than the phone, but I must say as far as overall reliability goes, the iphone is pretty good.

Now I have broken iphones but that is because of the case they were in (or not in). BUT if you put an iphone in an Otter Box Defender case, it'll be real real hard to break it. The iphone 10 xr is supposedly "water resistant". I do know a few people that have accidentally tested that feature - one being tossed into a bucket for 30 minutes while mowing the lawn, not knowing there was two inches of water in THAT bucket...and it was fine...little bit of water did get into the phone but the phone dried out and worked fine. To me that's pretty impressive.

But if you're not planning on dropping your phone in water, I seriously think a otter box defender case will keep that phone pristine for the life of the case. But in my opinion they aren't exactly the best looking cases (bulky, kind of ugly like a casio g shock watch). But what do you expect?

It's important to protect the phone no matter the brand, but iPhones are very solid. My wife and I are still rocking 6s's.

I just got an 6s off Amazon for $220. 128GB. I kept my older Moto G4 (battery is getting kinda weak) but if I were to brick my iPhone I'd have to get a nano SIM card adapter (that reminds me I need to go buy one). Anyhow. My point is, perhaps "most durable" plan is to just get one phone, then upgrade after a year or two--but keep the old phone around. If anything happens, swap the SIM card into the old one and carry on while the newer phone gets repaired (or replaced). I'm not sure it's worth the effort to buy a phone that will last 5+ years when the 2-3 year old models can be had cheaply. And any of them are but one good accident from being bricked (a good case goes a long ways but have you ever had an oddball accident?).

Originally Posted by clinebarger
The iPhone is pretty good, With a Otterbox Defender....

Originally Posted by Railrust
....BUT if you put an iphone in an Otter Box Defender case, it'll be real real hard to break it.

This is far more important than what brand it is. And I'm surprised they aren't far more popular based on how expensive so many of these phones have become. My wife and I both have cheap Motorola Moto G phones. But the first thing we did was outfit both of them with an Otter Box, and screen protectors. I think my wife found them on Amazon for $17 each.

I see so many nice phones out there with dents, cracked screens, along with other damage, that all could have been prevented by having it in a protective case. When we replace ours, a couple of Otter Boxes will be the first thing we purchase.

My daughter is/was a great destroyer of cell phones. Inside a week her I-Phone was broken. Samsungs lasted not much longer. The solution was a Kyocera Duraforce pro two. Not as nice a display/screen but an indestructible and reliable phone. She has had it for almost two years.

It depends on what you want.

Originally Posted by Donald
I think there are phones built for construction guys but cannot remember the brand/model.

Sonim - had one for a couple years. Tough as a bench vice, exceptional battery life. Quite expensive but if you want a nearly indestructible phone, worth it. I think Land Rover and a couple other companies re-brand them as their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back