Mopar OE fill, 86K, 12 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited

Decided to get an initial coolant sample done on the wife's Jeep. Mileage wise from Mopar the coolant is still good, but age wise I figured it might be time to change but wanted to have an analysis done first to confirm.

Attachments

• 12 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited.jpg
    12 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 314
I question the accuracy of these results. The report indicates 66% antifreeze concentration by volume. I seriously doubt FCA would be using this much antifreeze on a factory fill. Usually it is closer to 55% max, not 66.

I question the accuracy of these results. The report indicates 66% antifreeze concentration by volume. I seriously doubt FCA would be using this much antifreeze on a factory fill. Usually it is closer to 55% max, not 66.

My 2014 Patriot came with FCA 's new 10 year/150,000 coolant at 64% coolant as measured with my Reichert refractometer.

Thanks for the post. I was considering a coolant change on the Caravan, but I'll wait at least a year. Do you know the total coolant capacity on your Jeep.

My total capacity is 7.2 quarts per the factory service manual. I drained 4 quarts out of the radiator and refilled. My 2014 was actually made in April 2013, approaching 8 years and 100K miles. I advocate the partial drain and fill if you are not changing coolant type. I could have waited another year, but thought now is o.k. since I am only doing a partial replacement. Today's coolants seem to keep the systems so much cleaner than the old high silicate coolants of my youth.

Reactions: JC1
I rechecked my notes and it was actually 62%, not 64%. At about 5 years old the overflow tank was down about 6 ounces. After I had already bought OEM coolant to top up, I learned that I could have just added distilled water and still maintain the 50% concentration. I haven't had any recurring coolant loss problems. When I did a radiator drain and fill, I added less coolant % to get the system down closer to 50%.

It is completely plausible that that 64% mix was done deliberately (presumably after research) as a means of extending coolant life to the ten year mark.

Thanks for the post. I was considering a coolant change on the Caravan, but I'll wait at least a year. Do you know the total coolant capacity on your Jeep.
I'm showing 11.4 quarts is the total capacity. Used a little more than that to flush it.

Reactions: JC1
Back