Mopar 5W-20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't understand why there is no information on the internet about this oil? I tried to search for information about this oil but found nothing. The Packaging and the label at the bottle don't mention anything about the type of this oil (if it's Synthetic or Blend or conventional oil) I tried to search for the spec sheet and couldn't find it. I know for a fact that SHELL is providing this oil to Mopar? but Which one is it from the SHELL line up?

The label only says Mopar MaxPro 5w-20 API SN - ILSAC FG-5 - MS-6395

Well, if you use whatever shell product you want you would know which one you are putting in the crankcase, leave the, leave the Mopar name on the shelf.

Originally Posted by burla
Well, if you use whatever shell product you want you would know which one you are putting in the crankcase, leave the, leave the Mopar name on the shelf.

The only issue is that I'm forced to use it because of the warranty schedule. Me personally I would use a different one.

Originally Posted by John344

The only issue is that I'm forced to use it because of the warranty schedule. Me personally I would use a different one.

What is so special about this particular oil that you must use it for warranty purposes? The Magnusson Moss Act is definitive on situations like this.

Any 5w20 meeting MS6395 will keep your warranty in tact. Brand does not matter.

Originally Posted by donnyj08

These are the spec'd 5w20 oils I know about/have seen the writing on the bottle:

MS6395 Conventionals:
PYB, QSGB, Formula Shell, Havoline, Chevron Supreme, Valvoline, Mag1

MS6395 Synthetics:
PP, PUP, QSUD, Formula Shell Syn, Havoline Syn, Valvoline Syn, Schaeffers

Theres plenty of in spec options other than Mopar that are more affordable and readily avaliable.

Again, most FCA vehicles I've heard about come with PYB as the factory fill, if using anything other than Mopar Oil would void the warranty, why would they use something other than it at the factory?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PimTac

What is so special about this particular oil that you must use it for warranty purposes? The Magnusson Moss Act is definitive on situations like this.

Originally Posted by donnyj08

I will explain to you furthermore. The reason I have to use the Dealer specified oil is because of the free service that is linked with the warranty. When I visit them they do everything and they don't give me the right to choose.

I will explain to you furthermore. The reason I have to use the Dealer specified oil is because of the free service that is linked with the warranty. When I visit them they do everything and they don't give me the right to choose. [/quote]

Every dodge dealer I've been to between California to Florida doesn't use Mopar Branded oil, they usually use whatever MS6395 specced oil is cheapest.

For example: the "Mopar fill 5w20" at the Dodge-Ram-Fiat dealer in town here usually gets either Pennzoil or Quaker State while the unassociated local Jeep-Chrysler dealer uses Havoline/Supreme. Every time I got my old 2013 Dart serviced, it also came with a Wix Filter

The Ram-Jeep-Chrysler dealer down the road in the next county over uses Havoline products, Mopar filters.

The Ram-Jeep-Chrysler-Fiat dealer in my hometown in Florida uses Valvoline products and champ ecores.

The Ram-Dodge-Jeep dealer I stopped at in California used Pennzoil Gold and Magnetti filters exclusively except for SRT products.

Ask your dealer what they fill with, I doubt it's the actual Mopar branded oil, they might say it is while they're standing in front of a yellow drum that has a pennzoil logo on it, there's very little money to make when it comes to oil changes, most of the time dealers use whatever they can find that's cheapest and in spec.

Edit: either way, Mopar oil seems to just be rebranded Pennzoil/Shell/QS

Last edited by a moderator:
Every dodge dealer I've been to between California to Florida doesn't use Mopar Branded oil, they usually use whatever MS6395 specced oil is cheapest.

For example: the "Mopar fill 5w20" at the Dodge-Ram-Fiat dealer in town here usually gets either Pennzoil or Quaker State while the unassociated local Jeep-Chrysler dealer uses Havoline/Supreme. Every time I got my old 2013 Dart serviced, it also came with a Wix Filter

The Ram-Jeep-Chrysler dealer down the road in the next county over uses Havoline products, Mopar filters.

The Ram-Jeep-Chrysler-Fiat dealer in my hometown in Florida uses Valvoline products and champ ecores.

The Ram-Dodge-Jeep dealer I stopped at in California used Pennzoil Gold and Magnetti filters exclusively except for SRT products.

Ask your dealer what they fill with, I doubt it's the actual Mopar branded oil, they might say it is while they're standing in front of a yellow drum that has a pennzoil logo on it, there's very little money to make when it comes to oil changes, most of the time dealers use whatever they can find that's cheapest and in spec.

Edit: either way, Mopar oil seems to just be rebranded Pennzoil/Shell/QS

It could be in the USA but not In Middle East, they only use Mopar and what I have been told that they get it from SHELL because SHELL has a factory in the Middle East in Oman to be exact. This is why all the dealers in the Middle East use Mopar only and nothing else. I wish we had the flexibility as the Untied States, when it comes to Warranty and Services.

Your location as "desert" is pretty vague. You are also assuming we know all the details as well. This could have been stated in the first post for clarity.

Your location as "desert" is pretty vague. You are also assuming we know all the details as well. This could have been stated in the first post for clarity.

+1

OP,
Help us help you.

Sorry man next time I will try to mention all the details

Sorry man next time I will try to mention all the details

You can start by at least telling us your state or city. It should be a requirement here at BITOG.

So your in Oman. If you want no doubts use a Shell Helix in the correct grade. Or any other reputable blender you can obtain in Oman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back