Mobil1 Euro 0w40, 3909km OCI, 2010 STI

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the third analysis on this car. Things are looking up!

First oil was Motul Xcess 5w40, second was Rotella T6 5w40, this report is Mobil1 Euro 0w40 (with 5 oz of Hyperlube Zinc Replacement), filled it with GC 0w40 (with the rest of the Hyperlube ~7oz).

Remaining in my stash I have one more jug of Rotella T6 5w40, a 5 gallon pail of Rotella T6 0w40, then a jug of PP Euro 5w40.

I'll see how the next couple analysis look, but this Mobil1 w/ Hyperlube might be my magic mix.

Untitled.jpg

Originally Posted by TiGeo
2500 miles? Of course it looks good.

^ YEA....AND you added an additive.....makes the sample uncomparable to the others. Apples to oranges.

All the samples are similar intervals (annual oil changes) and other additives were used in in the past (note the moly in the rotella).

Originally Posted by edyvw
What is point of using additives?

The first two oil samples showed uncharacteristically high iron wear numbers. I had never seen a UOA for this engine with iron in the double digits before, not even on much longer OCIs. This is using 40wt synthetics as well. I asked for any advice on what to use.

Molakule suggested Hyper Lube zinc replacement.

This engine generates around 340hp at the crank, and I have plans to convert to flex fuel, where running E85 could mean around 400hp.

So I'm looking for maximum protection, not extended OCIs.

Nice, do you plan on using the same additive in your next change to see if it's the oil or the additive? I enjoy seeing STI UOA and don't see why mileage is an issue if that's your usual OCI. I'm trying Pennzoil Euro L in my ‘19 STI.

Do you have a cat less DP?

Last edited:
No I have a cobb downpipe then catback exhaust, cat still intact.

Yes I used the same additive with a different oil.

I like Hy-per Lube ZRA based on reading literature on polymer esters, which it entirely consists of. It's a fascinating lubricant with unusual properties, like decreasing the activation temperature of ZDDP, being polar enough to adhere to metals more than Group II-IV oils but not so polar as to interfere with anti wear additives, be quite viscous yet not increase the viscosity of the host oil it is mixed with as much as would be predicted if it were Group I-IV.

JAG/mcwilly - Thanks for the feedback on Hy-per Lube ZRA and mcwilly thanks for the uoa. All this time I never realized it was an ester additive. Always noticed the "Zinc" but not "Zinc Replacement".

OP: Please don't take this the wrong way but you are wasting your $$ on UOA's. With the ridiculously low interval even a conventional 5w30 will appear to be fine and as a result you simply cannot draw any conclusions.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
OP: Please don't take this the wrong way but you are wasting your $$ on UOA's. With the ridiculously low interval even a conventional 5w30 will appear to be fine and as a result you simply cannot draw any conclusions.

Not following as his results do show a reduction in wear metals with similar OCI's?

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

It helps me sleep better at night knowing iron wear rates have decreased ...‹

Originally Posted by mcwilly
All the samples are similar intervals (annual oil changes) and other additives were used in in the past (note the moly in the rotella).

Annual oil changes? You mean we have to wait until next Oct to see results of the GC 0w40? Couldn't you drive it a little more? Subies like snow, you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back