Mobil SHC627 in reciprocating compressor

Thoughts on this? It’s a synthetic gear and bearing oil per the description. I have access to a supply of it and a gas compressor that’s used year around in my truck. This would be for the compressor only I’m not putting it in the engine.

You "might" be OK but I really don't recommend it. ( you would be at the extreme end of the tolerance at best)

Those oils are basically gear oils thinned down enough to work ok in some bearing applications.

If you have pumped lube systems like the average screw or oil galleys in a gear box where the bearing stays flooded they will be fine

With splash lube systems, not quite as good.

I am dubious on how well it would get to and perform in the cylinder and pin ( you might luck out since it doesn't face the combustion forces of an ICE)

I would experiment cautiously.

You "might" be OK but I really don't recommend it. ( you would be at the extreme end of the tolerance at best)

Those oils are basically gear oils thinned down enough to work ok in some bearing applications.

If you have pumped lube systems like the average screw or oil galleys in a gear box where the bearing stays flooded they will be fine

With splash lube systems, not quite as good.

I am dubious on how well it would get to and perform in the cylinder and pin ( you might luck out since it doesn't face the combustion forces of an ICE)

I would experiment cautiously.

Thanks for your answer. I’ve read a lot of your posts on here and you really know your stuff. I think I’m going to give it a try and see what happens. We had to run a Quincy QT-15 on it for a little while as that’s all I had. There were no immediate issues with it and operating temperature dropped slightly. We have since changed it back to Quin-Cip.

Thank you, I would watch the temp on long duty cycle operations just to be sure

I did crosscheck with my XOM rep and she basically said it "should' be fine but they wouldn't recommend it unless you had a lube system on the recip.

Just keep an eye on it

Thoughts on this? It’s a synthetic gear and bearing oil per the description. I have access to a supply of it and a gas compressor that’s used year around in my truck. This would be for the compressor only I’m not putting it in the engine.

if thats the correct vis should be OK, BUT changeing lube types can cause sludge and debris to desolve and clog things maybe change fully again after a few weeks.

if thats the correct vis should be OK, BUT changeing lube types can cause sludge and debris to desolve and clog things maybe change fully again after a few weeks.
I changed it about 3 weeks ago. Put a lot of hours on it since in the hottest weather this year. No issues to date. It will be changed at 6 month intervals as that’s when the truck is serviced as well as the compressor engine. It’s overkill but easier to manage.

Back