Mobil-1 M1C-455A particle count - Jeep Grand Cherokee Pentastar

Particle count for Mobil-1 M1C-455A oil filter
2012 JGC V6 - 5,150 miles on oil, 8 months on oil, PPHM with Schaeffers #132
Full report posted in UOA section

Blackstone Jeep Grand Cherokee Oil Analysis 5,150 miles and 85,000 miles on Jeep - particle count on

Here's a few high and low efficient filters to compare in the 4 thru 21 microns range. PC data from the UOA forum.

[Linked Image]

I know absolutely nothing about this but would love to hear some analysis. Very curious. Especially since I have a Pentastar and about 12 M1 filters that I picked up on clearance at Wallyworld.

What does it tell us? Thanks for posting, OP, btw!

The graphs I posted show the PC curve for various filters. Ideally, you want a curve that is low on the scales, which means cleaner oil.

The amount of engine wear will be basically associated with the PC/oil cleanliness level and how long that oil is ran - ie, how long has it been circulated round and round through the engine.

The same level of engine wear might be seen with dirtier oil ran for a shorter time vs. with cleaner oil ran a much longer time. In general, higher efficiency oil filters help the most as the OCI gets longer and longer. If someone changed oil every 500~1000 miles, they many not even need an oil filter once the engine was fully broken in.

I know absolutely nothing about this but would love to hear some analysis. Very curious. Especially since I have a Pentastar and about 12 M1 filters that I picked up on clearance at Wallyworld.

What does it tell us? Thanks for posting, OP, btw!

No problem, I also picked up quite a few M1 filters on clearance at Wal-Mart. The way I read the count, the M1-455a cartridge filter is an average filter for capturing particles in the 21 micron range.

Last edited:
You need to be careful not to jump to conclusions reading data points of individual tests from different sources. If I grab a sample of my oil and it shows x particles at 20 microns, that is not anything to compare to your sample. It basically means nothing about our two filters in relation to one another. You need to do something like this and a number of times. It's an easy to see extreme example of how the same used and filtered oil was cleaned up with a new filter run only 200 miles. That means the second filter was better. Same used oil but different filter compares the filters. A short run on the second filter takes away the variables of the conditions on the second run. The cleaning should happen fast, if it happens.

https://www.frantzfilters.com/science/

Last edited:
The finer filters seem to have more larger particles which are the most damaging. That means they are bypassing more oil? An I being bass ackwards?

The finer filters seem to have more larger particles which are the most damaging. That means they are bypassing more oil? An I being bass ackwards?

The left side of the x-axis is the PC of smaller particles.

Back