Mobil 1 in 98 chevy 4x4 with 5.7L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Silicon:

Do we know how much silicon is presnet in a virgin sample of the oil?

As Bob noted in his virgin sample of Schaeffer 15W40 it has 10 ppm of silicon right out of the bottle and in 1994 I have a letter from Amsoil informing me their 10W30 had 15 ppm of silicon out of the bottle. (has changed by the way) That is why I do not pay much attention to Blackstones averages.

Only your own engine trend is what counts as every oil, engine,driving condition is different.

The lead is not coming from the valve guides .That motor uses intregal cast guides"cast iron" and should show some nickel if anything as far as wear goes. The lead could be coming from the overlay of the main bearing on the thrust sections,,just a guess.

WTD,
quote:

I talked to a Mobil tech at length on two seperate occasions about my two results. He basically told me that he didn't know what was causing some of my results unless it was a mechanical problem indicated by my high lead levels in the first analysis. He also couldn't explain why my lead levels dropped dramatically on the second analysis with only two thousand less miles

If you are talking about the so called newer chev trucks with the 5.3lt engines, I am very disturbed by this engine.

What I am seeing and hearing is some thing you cannot fix with any lubricant.

I've heard that chev has been sizing the cranks and fitting what ever size bearings fits it(mainly the mains). That these bearing sizes are not consistant. I have seen two reports on this type of engine and both are saying the same thing.

If the bearings are not correct, they will start to elongate/wear the bearing and from what some techs have told me, they have been seeing some trucks that will not start because the crank sensor will not pickup the signal due to the bearing wear allowing the crank to move far enough away from the pickup sensor.

Tim himself had been using schaeffers to start with, but by 20,000 miles, he was starting to hear this noise fairly loud. So after discussion with the dealer about this problem and them telling him theres nothing wrong and he'd be charged if they were to pull it apart, he decieded to throw what ever brand of oil in the engine in hopes to just blow the thing apart. 1st penzoil at 20k, second was Quakerstate at 24000,and third was supertech at 34,028. each oil change done by the computer on the truck.

All of the last three oil changes were analysised and the interesting thing is his lead levels were a little high at first, and has started to drop down a little each time, but the copper and iron levels have increased each time to such a point that now his copper levels are in the severe category. He's hopeing to throw a rod out the side so he wont be charged for them to inspect the inside as the inside will be hanging on the outside when he brings it back and all is said and done.

Dragboat,

Lead overlay makes sense, but shouldn't lead overlay have been worn off by now?

My aluminum bearings in '86 Burb (350) had lead overlay and aluminum alloy has copper and silicon, but as far I know no lead in the mix.

Since you're an engine builder, have you ever discussed bearing alloys with anyone, especially GM?

I just changed my oil today and will be sending a sample off to Blackstone labs. Oil had 3,010 miles on it and it was 5W-30 SJ Mobil 1 Tri-synthetic.

It will be interesting to see if the GM Top Engine cleaner and the Chevron Techron I recently used, will effect the analysis. Recently my truck has been running poorly due to a bad coil which resulted in a signifigant loss of power. This made the engine work alot harder than normal for about a week and a half untill I figured out what was wrong. I'm wondering if this will effect the analysis because I had to get on it pretty hard a few times just to get up some hills.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back