Mobil 1 FS 0w40 vs Castrol 0w40

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ndx

Hi Guys,

What is the verdict these days ?

Two German cars V8 DI, Turbo - to maintain....

I don't think the 0w40 PU Euro is Available in Canada

Thx

Originally Posted by Ndx
Not on any store shelf that I have seen.

M1 0W40 lost some cert(s) over a year ago and [censored] off the M1 fans on here. Then I believe I read recently on here that EDGE 0W40 lost it's edge was reformulated and was not as good as in the past, either from analysis or cert loss.

Originally Posted by Ndx
Hi Guys,

What is the verdict these days ?

Two German cars V8 DI, Turbo - to maintain....

Thx

Castrol 0W40.

And which of the two would be best for a portable inverter generator that is stored for long times and could be used at any ambient temperature from -22F to 102F?

Yes both "lost" LL-01, on of my cars calls for LL-01 but I don't think that there any oils left with that ... Maybe LL-01 is no longer a thing ....

Maybe I should step up to Euro Amsoil 0w40, or Redline 0w40 ?

Castrol has a good amount of PAO, where M1 FS does not. To me that makes the decision easy with choosing castrol

Originally Posted by volk06
Castrol has a good amount of PAO, where M1 FS does not. To me that makes the decision easy with choosing castrol
Castrol 0w-40 is about half PAO according to the safety data sheets, and M1 0w40 is only about 10% PAO. Castrol uses titanium which is probably good(?), maybe better. If Mobil's anti-ox chemistry is better it could make up for more PAO in Castrol though.
Castrol wins by a nose.

oils with very wide spreads need more real synthetic in the base oils and they prolly burn off faster than a 10-40 using lesser base oils!! most users do NOT NEED OW OILS!

Originally Posted by benjy
oils with very wide spreads need more real synthetic in the base oils and they prolly burn off faster than a 10-40 using lesser base oils!! most users do NOT NEED OW OILS!

Agreed, but 0W is perfect for starts in -20C or colder...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ndx

Agreed, but 0W is perfect for starts in -20C or colder...

And so is a 5w-30. Just because it's 0W, that does not mean that it is thinner or flows better in regular winter temperatures for most folks. The idea that 0w oils are universally better or thinner at cold temps than a 5w, just isn't true. Most 5w-30 resource conserving oils will offer just as good or better cold temp properties (typically thinner at cold start temperature, to a point) than a 0w-40 will. Now if you're in northern Alaska or something where absolute lowest pour point is a concern, then sure a 0w oil would be warranted.

Between the two choices, I'd pick Castrol 0w-40. Castrol, in my opinion, has always made excellent "euro-spec" oils, and usually have a broader product offering in that category. I have fond memories of randomly stopping at Autozones in search of the green 0w-30; have used lots of that stuff, and their 5w-40 / 0w-40 Euro oils with excellent results.

Yeah, but Noack in both of these oils is exemplary and better than in many 5W30 oils, which indicates really, really good base.
Major issue for me in M1 is huge amount of Sulfated Ash at 1.34.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ndx
Yes both "lost" LL-01, on of my cars calls for LL-01 but I don't think that there any oils left with that ... Maybe LL-01 is no longer a thing ....

Maybe I should step up to Euro Amsoil 0w40, or Redline 0w40 ?

LL-01

C50241A5-ABBE-41CF-BA57-07928D24CB13.jpeg

From my experience, Castrol Euro handled the fuel dilution in my MBs better than M1. I also like the idea of titanium in the additive pack and Castrol has more PAO than Mobil (if that means anything).

Originally Posted by diyjake
Is Castrol 0w40 on the thicker side compared to Mobil 1 FS 0w40?
Not really. Castrol is very slightly thicker, but they're both formulated on the lower end of 40 grade.

Originally Posted by diyjake
Is Castrol 0w40 on the thicker side compared to Mobil 1 FS 0w40?

KV 100? No. It is on par with M1.
HTHS is 3.7cp compared to 3.6cp in M1.

Ok so between the two Wich has better cold flow properties. My ski Doo 1200 calls for a 0w40 of SM or higher, there are a lot of people who use the Mobil 0w40 in this motor. I was thinking of trying Castrol 0w40

Originally Posted by Crobinson16
Ok so between the two Wich has better cold flow properties. My ski Doo 1200 calls for a 0w40 of SM or higher, there are a lot of people who use the Mobil 0w40 in this motor. I was thinking of trying Castrol 0w40

Both would be excellent, but Castrol 0W40 always had better pour point. Not sure about MRV numbers at this point.

Which one is on sale ?

M1 0W40 FS is currently on sale for $ 32.00 CDN per jug. Castrol 0w40 is $ 60.00 CDN.

We have a winner !

Otherwise the two oils perform about the same ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back